Lupus Community
Muscle twitching and "bugs"

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Muscle twitching and "bugs"

Later in the day I tend to get muscle twitching and what feels like bugs crawling within my legs and arms. I have slowly started to get this more and more. Do any of you this symptom? Either one?
Hi!
Let’s take the two symptoms one by one.
If you are in the menopausal age, then crawling sensation on the skin is a common symptom. Hormone replacement therapy often helps. It is also seen in people who are very anxious and stressed out. Take up yoga, deep breathing exercise, walking etc to relieve stress. Music and aerobics are also good stress busters. Drink plenty of fluids and water (not caffeine), eat fresh fruits and vegetables and keep yourself busy throughout the day. Very dry skin and disorders of thyroid gland all can precipitate a crawling sensation. The other possibility is Morgellons disease often mimics scabies. The disease is believed to be caused by weak immune systems in people that have contracted the tick-borne Lyme disease at some point in their life. It can also be a fungal infection like Tinea corporis.
I would suggest you get the blood levels of the following checked if they have not already been checked: potassium, calcium, sodium, magnesium, vitamin B complex, or vitamins B1, B3, or B6 and Vitamin D. Generally deficiencies of any of the above can cause muscle twitching and spasms in localized or generalized areas of the body. Get your kidney function, parathyroid gland function and adrenal function tests done because these affect the electrolyte balance in the body. Stress, alcohol, caffeine and fatigue all cause similar symptoms. Hence if you take alcohol or coffee then cut this down. Sleep at regular hours and see if it helps. Certain sleep disorders and peripheral nerve disorders due to diabetes, Lyme's, lupus or hypothyroidism can also be the cause.
Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.