Lupus Community
POSITIVE ANA SCR, ANA TITER 1:640, PATTERN SPECKLED

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

49 year old female. DX's with MS in 2000. On Avonex ever since along with a LOT of other "symptom management" medications.

Recent blood test showing VERY high positive ANA SCR, ANA TITER 1:640, PATTERN SPECKLED.

GP is looking for "another reason" for my fatigue...UMM, BESIDES MY MS?? I THINK HE THINKS I'M OUT OF MY MIND?

QUESTION:  Could this have been "my norm" nine years ago or perhaps something I've just developed? I've moved so I don't have my complete records (something to think about getting, I suppose.) IF I was tested way back then...

Supporting tests and lack of other apparent symptoms rules out obvious suggestions / ideas... NOTE: Lupus was RULED OUT NINE YEARS AGO prior to my MS DX altho my mother had Lupus... She died in 2007 (stroke). Can I just "get" Lupus if I was told I didn't have it before? Again, I don't have other symptoms sans the high ANA.

Along with a variety of meds, I am on Synthroid (0.1 MG) and and Topamax (300MG). Before I see another specialist, I'm looking around on my own.

Do you mind listing all of your symptoms ? I'm asking because I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and also have a positive ANA --- same as yours (1:640 - speckled pattern). 5% of people who are diagnosed with MS actually have CFS.

PlateletGal,

I hadn't thought of CFS. Interesting because Lupus and other related disorders are not supported by more extensive blood work.

My MS has been supported by spinal tap and MRIs however so I am confident I have not been misdiagnosed.

The fatigue is SO EXTREME in my case my doc just was wondering if I could be experiencing something else. As far as symptoms...

Fatigue is on the top. I can function about 4 hours then my head gets ready cloudy. Brain fog. Annoying, very annoying. Then I have to re-charge. Actually I need to do that right now (over-due). Can I get back to you? Or could you write to me off line at klincos at gmail ******* and mention this forum? I'll be more open, if you don't mind?

Kerry

They ruled out lupus 9 years ago but that doesn't mean you haven't developed it since.  Brain fog is big with people with lupus.  It is a horrible feeling, I hate it so much.  I feel like a total space cadet. But it is hard to say really what could be wrong with you without knowing to much about you.  Just don't rule it out just in case.
Hi.  Sorry to hear you are having such fatigue issues.  You might want to post this same question on the MS forum.  It is a very active forum with some very knowledgeable members in the different aspects of and management of MS.

Good wishes to you.

Wanna :o)
Thanks!

Yeah, I'm not ruling anything out yet. Still investigating. I have an appt. with a rheumatologist next month and will talk to my neuro too. Worse thing I want is to go thru all the hoops again and be "re-diagnosed" for MS .. but then again, I don't want all my aliments to be thrown in my "MS BUCKET" which often happens too.

Just because you have one thing certainly doesn't make you immune from another, I agree! Thanks for the cautious words.

Kerry
Just to follow-up on this ANA test...

I spoke to my neuro's office yesterday after they reviewed the results of my blood test. As a refresher, the test was ordered by my GP, not my neuro. GP recommended that I see a rheumatologist, etc...

Neuro was as confused, as I was, in regards to [all the concern] and assured me that this type of result (see post above) is VERY OFTEN seen in patients like me, with MS (just as I suspected) ...

I have an appointment with him next week but see no reason I should be "re-diagnosed" for MS which, I believe, is where all this was heading! D'oh!!

Looks like this time it really IS one for the MS bucket.

Thanks again for comments.

[Duplicate post on another forum to close out discussion.]