Lupus Community
SSA/SSB levels

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

SSA/SSB levels

I have been having problems with swallowing and dry mouth. I had a blood test to check for SSA and SSB antibodies and the results were SSA 34u/ml and SSB 5u/ml. Are these within the normal range? I assume so since my ANA test was negative.

Thank you for your help.
I don't know the answer but know you can look these things up online. I'd do a search. I've found these answers before.
Hi and welcome,
I found these on a web site.  Hope this helps.  It looks like your SSA is positve and your SSB is neg.

SSA (RO) Antibodies
Negative:  10.0 U/mL

SSA (RO) Antibodies
Negative:  10.0 U/mL

What kind of symptoms are you having?
I have been looking online and finding all kinds of different answers so I thought I'd ask here. I spoke to my doctor this morning and she said everything came back normal. I work at the same hospital so I'm able to see my medical records through their system which is how I saw the exact numbers. The "normal" range I saw in the lab reports is apparently 0-91u/ml. Based on what I've read online there seems to be a lot of fluctuation between normal ranges. Since my doc said they're normal I guess they are.  

My biggest complaint is the feeling like something is constantly "stuck" in my esophagus (globus sensation) and leads to uncomfortable swallowing. It happens after I eat and can last for hours. When I went to my GI I also told her that I feel the need to drink water after every bite of food and that I feel I have dry mouth often during the day. She thought she'd test for Sjorgen's just in case even though my problem is more likely a reflux/esophageal spasm problem. I am also pretty young so Sjorgen's isn't as likely.

Thank you so much for your responses.
Hi and welcome to MedHelp.

Not sure which test came back "normal".  What test did they do to test for Sjorgren's?

I also have the symptom you decribed with the feeling in your throat.  I suspect mine is due to acid reflux, but thyroid problems can also cause this sensation.  Have they checked your thyroid?  Another common symtom of Sjogren's is dry eyes, do you have that?
Hi Karajo

To check for Sjorgen's they did an ANA panel and the SSA  and SSB. I also had a regular metabolic panel, thyroid, urinalysis, the whole shebang. Everything came back normal. I asked my doc to check my thyroid levels because I was thinking that could be the source of my globus. She ordered the test even though she said she didn't think it had anything to do with my thyroid.

I have dry eyes from time to time (not a big problem for me) and very dry skin. Though at this time of year it is really hard to tell the cause of because I usually dry out a bit due to the cold weather and artificial heat. My feeling is that I do not have Sjorgen's but I am still curious.

My Rhumey said stick out your tounge...yep, you have Sjogrens. Maybe my bloodwork that he does all the time also suggested it, I'm not sure. I didn't even know what that was at the time! I have it really bad and I have dry mouth, dry skin, very dry eyes, swallowing problems and I choke a lot. The dry eyes are by far the worst. The thought of wearing swimming goggles around the house has crossed my mind. I'm not there yet but it's depressing to think I'm thinking these thoughts. But there IS a silver lining, I no longer have the acne I had my whole life, well into adulthood! My skin is gorgeous for the first time in my life! And I choke the most on WATER. How weird is that? I guess I'm so thirsty I'm gulping it down.

Don't know if that helps. I hope you don't have it. It's no fun. I'm only 41 so I'm going to have it a LONG time!
I am 23 and was just diagnosed with Sjogren's my SSA was 188 and my SSB was 41. I was also diagnosed with RA and my RF was 110. Since I am new to this does anyone have any advice I can take with me?