Lupus Community
Symptoms of lupus?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Symptoms of lupus?

Hi I'm a 20yr old female, I have a strong family history on my dads side of autoimmune disorders! These include rheumatoid arthritis, sle, fibromyalgia, palindromic rheumatism and also the sero-negative!
The past two years I've slowly been getting weaker and weaker, probably every month to two months ill have a couple of days that I have bad joint pain, arms elbow shoulder wrist fingers, leg knee feet and sometimes my neck! The pain usually starts in one place such as my wrist, then after an hour will travel to my wrist and elbow and then my fingers! Same thing happens with my leg area the pain travels and becomes more wide spread! There's no noticeable swelling nor red spots? My ankles also tend to lock at random times and then crack which is quite painful! The joint pain is dull aching pain not sharp!
Also when the pain started I stated have stomach problems, diarrhea nausea, cramps and everything!
I saw a rheumatologist who said I did not have lupus as none of the bloods were positive, and that I probably have fibromyalgia?
Migraines that last for days is another thing I've been having!
Also every so often, my face will get extremely hot and ill develop a red rash with tiny red bumps over my cheeks and nose? It last for a couple of hours then disappears but leaves the area dry and tender? Not sure if this is like the butterfly rash?
I guess my question is because lupus can be slow onset and unpredictable, has anyone had symptoms like these and the tests been negative, but then over time they became positive as its gotten worse?
Any information would be a great help!
My doctor checked me for lupus and I have many of the same symptoms. However, she discovered that I have a disease called Sjogren's syndrome. Hope this was of some help to you.
How did your doctor diagnose that?
Was it a blood test? If
So what test!
And thankyou for your reply!
Hello there. It usually takes, on the average, 7 years to diagnose Sjogren's syndrome. It is confirmed by a blood test specifically to detect this disease. Venus Williams, the tennis player also has it. Feel better!