Lupus Community
Vitamin D deficiency

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

Vitamin D deficiency

Hi all.

Now please everyone who has any knowledge info or experience please respond as I feel this is very relevant and interesting. How many of you have a known vit d deficiency? If not have you been tested? My levels have come back as very low.

Apparently there is an autoimmune connection ie 1. autoimmune diseases can be brought on by lack of vit d. 2. Can be made worse by lack of vitamin d. 3. Can deplete vit d

Picking your brains now please ...... feedback!!!!!!!!!

Ongoing clinical research is looking into the connection between autoimmune disease and vitamin D deficiency. I found an newer hypothesis on this and it's a very interesting. A hypothesis is an educated guess, based on observations. The abstract below:

Autoimmune Diseases
Volume 2012 (2012), Article ID 189096, 16 pages
doi:10.1155/2012/189096

"CD8+ T-Cell Deficiency, Epstein-Barr Virus Infection, Vitamin D Deficiency, and Steps to Autoimmunity: A Unifying Hypothesis"

CD8+ T-cell deficiency is a feature of many chronic autoimmune diseases, including multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, Sjögren's syndrome, systemic sclerosis, dermatomyositis, primary biliary cirrhosis, primary sclerosing cholangitis, ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease, psoriasis, vitiligo, bullous pemphigoid, alopecia areata, idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy, type 1 diabetes mellitus, Graves' disease, Hashimoto's thyroiditis, myasthenia gravis, IgA nephropathy, membranous nephropathy, and pernicious anaemia. It also occurs in healthy blood relatives of patients with autoimmune diseases, suggesting it is genetically determined.

Here it is proposed that this CD8+ T-cell deficiency underlies the development of chronic autoimmune diseases by impairing CD8+ T-cell control of Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) infection, with the result that EBV-infected autoreactive B cells accumulate in the target organ where they produce pathogenic autoantibodies and provide costimulatory survival signals to autoreactive T cells which would otherwise die in the target organ by activation-induced apoptosis.

Autoimmunity is postulated to evolve in the following steps: (1) CD8+ T-cell deficiency, (2) primary EBV infection, (3) decreased CD8+ T-cell control of EBV, (4) increased EBV load and increased anti-EBV antibodies, (5) EBV infection in the target organ, (6) clonal expansion of EBV-infected autoreactive B cells in the target organ, (7) infiltration of autoreactive T cells into the target organ, and (8) development of ectopic lymphoid follicles in the target organ.

It is also proposed that deprivation of sunlight and vitamin D at higher latitudes facilitates the development of autoimmune diseases by aggravating the CD8+ T-cell deficiency and thereby further impairing control of EBV. The hypothesis makes predictions which can be tested, including the prevention and successful treatment of chronic autoimmune diseases by controlling EBV infection."
My university research hospital MS doc said that Vit D deficiency is definitely linked to MS and other autoimmune disorders.  MS researchers noticed that a geographical map of MS rates showed increasing rates of MS as you move North, with the lowest rates at the equator, and so they began looking into Vit D, the sunshine vitamin.  I don"t know if this is also true of Lupus, but my doc says that they are learning that Vitamin D is important for healthy immune function.