Lupus Community
blood tests results

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

blood tests results

i was diagnose with Pericarditis(3rd time) and my lupus doctor did some blood work- I had a high normal c3 but a very low normal c4-  they also did an im glan blood test- what does im glan blood test show- it was .01 above normal- anti ds dna was normal- but the Dr said I definitely had a flare due to all my symptoms-including a rash on my face, redness around the cuticles, joint swelling- temps go up and down.- I saw the dr with almost 100 degree temp
Sometimes I type tings up and they disppear.  I thought I had responded to your post.  Sorry about that.  

I am not familar w/ the im glan test.  Is that shorten for something?

Pericarditis is very serious.  What type treatment did they do for that?  Out of curiousty, what symptoms go along w/ that?

How long have you had lupus?  I know your input here would be greatly valued.  The symptoms I have are mild conpared to what it looks like you are dealing with.  I feel that my knowledge is limited.  
HI
I have had lupus for over 31 years but the Dr figured I had it much longer than that- but was just never diagnose with.  I did look it up several weeks ago- but I forgot what it means, I have some memory loss to the lupus affecting my brain- it is called lupus fog.
Pericarditit is serious if it is not taken care of. Right now I am just on Motrin- high dosage. Mainly I was completely exhausted- not tired but couldn't do anything. Chest pains starting from the center to the left, shortness of breath, low grade temp. It will show up either on an ekg, blood test or an echo- it may show up on all or just on 2 of 3 tests-When I first had it  8 years ago I went to see my stomach doctor because I have acid reflex real bad- so I thought I just need some different medicine- so he gave me something stronger. A couple of days later I saw my lupus doctor for a checkup and I mentioned my symptoms- he also thought it was my acid reflux. After taking the medicine for a week and it was not helping- throughout the week- those chest pains were real bad so I called my cardiologist and she told me to come in. I had an echo, blood test and ekg done- all confirmed I had pericarditis. At that time they gave you steroids- not anymore at unless it is real severe. It took me almost a year to recover. I had it again about 4 years ago- but a very mild case- I didn't have any symptoms except being real tired. I had my usual cardiologist appt and she told me I had pericarditis again. This time I had 2 real bad colds and I knew my lupus was flaring up- I finally called my cardiologist after not feeling good for 3 weeks and again it was pericarditis. If you think you have pericarditis- always go to a cardiologist. I do work- and have been woking over 37 years full time- so you see- I don't let my lupus and crohns affect my life. I have granddaughters and do many activities with them. I also was diagnose with breast cancer 2 years ago- I just enjoy life because you never know what is around the corner
If you have any more questions- you should either contact your doctor-as each case is different and what works for me may not work for you
Thanks so much for your reply.  I do have a lot of heart burn.  But nothing seems to releive it.  Although I haven't tried nexium.  My mom says that works really well w/ her.  

Do you have either flank pain or upper right or left quadrant pain?  I also have abdominal swelling along w/ this pain.  I would appreciate your input and personal experience.  
Do you see a gastronologist?- If you do ask him about nexium- it is very good. I have heartburn for almost 15 years- I have to keep switching my medicine around because my body gets use to one and doesn't work so I take another one.  I try to eat by 5:30pm- that helps a lot and usually don't eat till the next morning- I do drink water or juice during the nite because I get thirsty.

What did the doctor say about the abdominal swelling?- I have pain all over- I have a lot of pain on my right side- Crohn's.

When you go to the Dr's and they run tests on you- make sure they give you a copy so you have a record of what the results are. I take the latest copies when I travel- just in case I get sick. You have to proactive when you see the dr- make sure you ask a lot of questions. When you get the results on your tests- make them explain the results to you. If your tests may be "normal"- check your previous tests to compare- this is how I found that my red blood count is dropping with the last 2 tests-so I asked the Dr- so when I see him in a couple of weeks- he will do another blood test to see if I rbc is still dropping-He said I must be bleeding somewhere in my stomach- or somewhere. When you get tests done- try to have them at the same facility- because every facility- normal results may be different.

Also- I go to specialists for my diseases- I don't have an internist. My lupus doctor treats the colds and such. It may cost a little more- but specialists are more knowledgeable because it is their speciality and make sure they send the results to all your doctors.

In all honesty, I haven't seen a dr. lately.  I've had these problems for a really long time and when I mention them to rhemy or GP, they act like it is not significant.  Even when I said I was bleeding rectally.  

I can go to a gastro dr. that I know will not slough me off.  It's just a matter of making the appointment.  

Thanks for your kind support.  We're all in thi together.

God bless you.
You should go to the Gastro doctor because of the rectal bleeding- it just could be hemmorhoids and nothing more- but you should get it check out- the bleeding could be making you very tired and irritable.

When I was 1st diagnose with Lupus- I went to a very good doctor who listened to everything I said-no matter if was just a runny nose- he took care of it. About 5 years ago- he had a massive heart attack and no longer practices- so I decided to see his partner- very nice doctor but he was very similar to your doctors- just wasn't personable enough for me. I switched Drs and found a very nice dr-He listens to all my complaints -and he tells me no matter how minor they may be- if it isn't taken care of- it could become a major complaint. I feel very comfortable when he tells me not to worry about a certain complaint because I know if it was something it would be taken care of. You have to go find a Doctor that you are comfortable with it or just change doctors.- you won't hurt their feelings. Some patients are okay with that type of dr.
You never did say if you were diagnose with Lupus or anything else.

My mom died of an aortic embolism- because it was not diagnose. She had a 3 heart attacks in a matter of 3 days- The cardiologist just didn't see it on the cat scan or mri.
My dad died of bladder cancer that should have been treatable if it was caught early enough. He was seeing an internist- for several years. For the last 2 years of his life- his urine test always showed blood- I asked his doctor several times if this normal- he said at my dad's age(87)- it was probably just an bladder infection and would be treated with antibiotics.- I saw my urologist for my 6 month checkup at that time and I told him about my dad-he said that he should have a cystoscope done to see where the blood was coming from. I asked my dad to go to my urologist and he refused because his doctor to him it was just an infection. Just about 4 months before my dad died- he was bleeding a lot more in the urine when he passed out at his apartment and we rushed him to the hospital where he was diagose with stage 4 bladder cancer- went into his lungs and brain- he lived for another 3 months.
Sorry this is so long.