Lupus Community
lupus and teeth

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

lupus and teeth

i have had teeth problems after teeth problems and i have a low tolerance to pain when i previously had a very high tolerance. the dentist needs to a give me an anesthetic even when working on teeth that have had root canals. i went today and just the cleaning was excruciating and unfortunately for me the dentist had a little accident while taking x-rays. she got tangled up in the cord attached to the digital device you chomp on and this pulled the device which yanked out of my mouth and scaped my palate as well as my face.

does lupus decrease pain tolerance or is it just the constant low level pain in my legs also due to OA?
I don't know for sure if it decreases pain tolerance, but now that you mention it, it makes me think that's what's happening to me.  I had a root canal, and was in tons of pain for 4 weeks afterward, but everyone kept saying it doesn't hurt at all.  I felt like a woos.  And yes, I used to have a high pain tolerance, but haven't since starting these symptoms around 9 years ago.  So, you may be on to something there.  Nobody would ever be able to tell you YES, but you may be right.  I will be seeing my doctor on September 24th, and if I can remember it that long, I will ask her.  She's an "expert" on Lupus.  Have you been diagnosed with anything other than Lupus?  I was recently diagnosed with Autoimmune Hepatitis also, to top the Lupus and Sjogren's Syndrome diagnosis.  Fun!  What a life!  LOL!  And, according to my rheumy, 99% of all people will have OA by age 45.  So, that means we are all in the same friggin' boat, with no paddle!  

Anyway, maybe from now on, you can take pain meds before going to the dentist.  I noticed having electrolosis was more painful lately than ever before.   I doubt it's the OA, that would only cause the pain where the spur is.  Not everywhere else.  I can see the Lupus causing a low pain tolerance, as it seems everything has gone downhill in my body since this hit, which, by the way, hit right after getting the Halicobacter pylori infection in my stomach.  Once that was "irradicated", I started with the Sjogren's and Lupus symptoms.  I feel like a hypochondriac.  

Good luck on dealing with all this.  Write me if you want.  

HI, I have had the same problem, I used to have a very very high pain threshold, now, I can't handle the dentist at all! Injections have no effect, my Dentist was giving me a filling and after 2 injections I was still in so much pain, I couldnt even let him touch my mouth! I've also noticed that in the past few years canula's seem to be more and more painful on administration, my mum is confused as she said when I was younger (13-18) I was able to handle the pain with ease. Very strange that it's happened to more people than just myself, makes you wonder????
i am being tested for lupus as see: lupus dx in another post.i have OA in left hip, osteophytosis in lumbar l1,2,3 and ddd so yes i feel like a hypochondriac too.

went to gyn and again excruciating pain --i'm 55 by the way and did long distance running--marathons.i also must have the worst md's --i was an r n many years ago and here in què. things are mighty different .i can hardly wait for 70.

i,too, am a mom and my son is 10--had him at almost 46 yrs.old. i have been married for 30 years.

oh and i did take advil before i went to the dentist. holy moley what a debacle that was. i am afraid to do anything as of present it is always turning into a fiasco.

i love your sense of humour.