Lupus Community
unexplained bruising, hip pain, rash

This patient support community is for discussions relating to lupus.

unexplained bruising, hip pain, rash

I am a 27y/o female and for the last year or so I had been suffering from sciatic pains more on my left side. When it first started I used to get shooting pain starting at my lower back, through my buttock and down to my foot. I also had some numbness and tingling. About 4-5 months ago my sciatic pain has pretty much stopped, but now my left hip has been bothering me. It wasn't bad at first, but now there are times where I can hardly walk. I also have noticed that I have been having unexplained bruising only on my lower extremities without any trauma to them whatsoever. The bruises don't even hurt at all. Over the course of 3 months I have been checking my legs daily for new bruises and have been bruising more and more frequently. I am also extremely fatigued for no reason and have a constant headache that wont go away. I used to work out at the gym everyday and have energy to spare, but now I can barely bring myself to get out of bed. I noticed I started getting these bruises and hip pain after I had an episode of kidney stones almost 5 months ago. I also have this skin rash on my legs only as well. I noticed that all my symptoms are only on my legs. I'm not sure what it could be. I went to a Doctor yesterday and they kept asking me about a family history of lupus. I had a cbc done today that was normal. Platlets were 333, rbc 4.46 hgb/hct 12.8/39, wbc 7.7. I also had an x ray of my left hip and pelvis that showed a partial sacralization. I don't have medical insurance and just these 2 tests alone costed me a pretty penny. Do my symptoms even sound consistent with lupus? Is there a more accurate test that can be done to determine whether or not I even have it? Is it possible to have a completely normal cbc with lupus? Also could my partial sacralization be causing my bruising and rash?
To start with, I don't think I know enough about sacralization to say whether it would cause bruising or not.  I wouldn't think so.  

Also, there is not "one" test that would dx lupus.  But what I can offer is a list of symptoms for lupus and you could judge for yourself.  At a glance I would say "no".  

There are 11 criteria for a lupus dx.  You must have at least 4 of the 11 to recieve a dx.

They are:
1. malar rash over cheeks (butterfly rash) (74%)
2. discoid rash, red raised patches
3. photosensitivity - reaction to sunlight, resulting in skin rash (50%)
4. oral and nose ulcers
5. arthritis (95%)
6. serositis - inflamation (inflammation) of the lining of the lung or heart
7. reanl disorder - excessive protein in urine and/or cellular casts
8. neurologic disorder - seizures, or psychosis
9. anemia or low white blood count or lymphopenia or low platelet count
10. positive ANA
11. positive anti-DNA or anti-Sm, or antiphospholipid antibody or false pos. syphilis test

Other symptoms are:
fever (90-95%)
abdominal pain
chest pain
shortness of breath
blood in urine
hair falling out (27%)
fatigue (90%)
muscle pain and weakness (90%)
dizziness
poor memory
headaches
poor circulation in fingers and toes
tingling in extremities
diarrhea
bloating
nausea
weight loss
blurred vision
depression
palpitations
raynauds (where fingers turn white when cold)
intollerance to cold
sore throat
lymph node swelling (50%)
...to name a few

Keep in mind that fibromyalgia, CFS, MS and lymes disease also have similar symptoms.  

There are soooo many illnesses that can cause fatigue.  Anywhere from low B-12 and other vitamin deficiencies to serious illnesses.  And a vit. C deficincy can also cause you to bruise easily.  

Let me know what you think about the list of lupus symptoms.  Do you think you fit?  If so, I'll list some test your dr. could order, but I'll warn you, they are very expensive.  
Here is what the symptom checker on medhelp said about possibile causes of bruisig easily.

http://www.medhelp.org/symptomsearch?addterm=bruises+easily
thank you for the information.. looking at those symptoms I am realizing that I do have quite a few of them.. I'm very prone to sores in my mouth, i have the joint pain, fatigue, headaches, dizziness, intolerance to cold, I recently had kidney issues and I get the tingling in my feet every so often,, I also get hot and cold off and on throughout the day... One moment I'll feel extremely hot and the next I'll start shivering.. Sometimes within a few mins from each other.. I take vitamin c, d, b-12 (sublingually) plus a prenatal vitamin on a daily basis so I dont think its a vitamin deficiency..
Has your dr. checked your vit D level?  I took so many vitamins and spent time in the sun on days I felt good...not knowing it was causing me to feel bad.  Anyway, my D was low and I now take prescription D.

Ifthey do another ANA test, be sure and spend time in the sun prior to your test.  If you have lupus, it will cause the ANA to be elevated.  About 30 min. right before you go in to see your dr.  (depending on the season and how much clothing you have on....)