695?1278534013
March 2011 Babies User Group
Leaking Urine or Amniotic Fluid?
About This Group:

This is the place to ask questions, post information, and share stories and support with other women due in March 2011. Congrats on your pregnancy!

Founded by mmeriche on July 7, 2010
63 members

Leaking Urine or Amniotic Fluid?

I'm 22 almost 23 weeks pregnant.  I was at the doctor last month and told them about how I thought I was leaking urine.  I have to wear a light day most days.  I don't soak through it, but it is definitely wet.  Now I am all freaked out because someone on another site said it could be amniotic fluid and that it's nothing to mess with.  Does anyone know the difference? What does it smell/look like? I mean, I should be able to tell what my pee looks/smells like but now I'm all nervous.

Any help would be great........
i, too, have some major needs for panty liners. i have what seems to be just a clear liquid come out sometimes, and other times it is what i am used to as "normal" discharge. i chalk it up to an increase in blood volume, hence making all bodily fluids more apparent. i have considered the amniotic fluid thing, but i don't think that is what it is. i had an u/s this past thursday and baby was perfectly fine and there was no indication of that going on, so i think it is just my body's way of dealing with the added pressure and weight and increased fluids. i think you should definitely get checked out if there is any question about it, but i think you would just know if there was something wrong happening. i wish i could tell you the difference in the smell/look - in my case it all smells like normal discharge, and looks like some urine came out sometimes, mixed with the normal discharge look. i hope this helps some.. :)
I know there is a test your Dr. can do to see if it's amniotic fluid or not, but I am not sure exactly how to explain what it smells like.  I have had a lot of extra discharge as well, but if your concerned I would talk to your Dr as soon as possible.  Even if it is just a little urine it will definitley ease your mind.
I have the same need for panti liners. I get quite wet everyday, but its just clear and urine like. I have regualr ultrasounds so I know my fluid levels are normal. It is most likely just clear discharge. It is pretty much odorless and clear. It would be comparable to urine without the urine smell. I am sure you are fine. I think most of us are in the same boat
I also use panty liners everyday and have leaking but mine is definitely urine...is worse when I sneeze..lol. They say if amniotic fluid it has a fishy like smell..or it smells like sperm. They have strips at doc's office that can tell if it is amniotic fluid ..well my doc's office does. Just call and set up to go in and have it checked to make sure. On top of the need for panty liners I am finding I am having the very annoying Braxton Hicks contractions a lot now as well   ><
Oh my gosh everytime I sneeze I pee too!!!! Its awful. I have no control lol
FYI to all.......I've been told by my obgyn & other mommies to cross your legs when you have to sneeze!!!  It works, trust me  :)  Plus, don't forget your kegels.  They not only help keep you a little tighter, but are suppose to help in delivery.  You aren't suppose to tear and are least likely to need an episiotomy.  
i too use loads of panty liners, the discharge bit and urine leakage is on maximum flow LOL....my midwife said that the way to tell if its amniotic fluid is that it smells very sweet! thats why the baby likes to drink it when it practising swollowing...and as you must all know urine has a strong potent sort of smell...not that i go around smelling my pads....but anyhow hope this info helps...and i agree kegals do help and believe me you don't want to tear!
ready4number4 Baby number 6 is a BOY!!!! ... Comment
Sep 11
rbohl01 Had another doctors appoint... Comment
Sep 10
rbohl01 commented on zara2010's status
Aug 14