Maternal & Child Community
anti-nausea drug banned in 80's

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast feeding, childhood disease, colic, child discipline, immunization, lactation, newborn care, post partum depression, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), and special needs children.

anti-nausea drug banned in 80's

I'm looking for the name of the drug that was prescribed for anti-nausea in pregnancy in the 70's and 80's that was subsequently banned because of problems it would cause female children.  Also any information about the effects to the child (22)attempting pregnancy.
My mother took that same med while pg with me and while we do not know if it had anything to do with my issues, I have had 4 m/c and 2 successful pregnancies. I will do some looking and see what I can find. I will post the results on this thread.

Andrea
The med was called Bendectin. Here is a little blip I found on www.babycenter.com:

You may have also heard of Bendectin (which combines an antihistamine with vitamin B6). This drug was once widely used in the United States to treat morning sickness, but controversy over its safety during pregnancy
Andrea,
Thanks so much for your help.  I didn't even know the drug name and your information sets my mind at ease.
Marjean
I was one of the thousands of women who took Benedictin in 1977 and 1980 for nausea and vomiting during both of my pregnancies. My oldest daughter has poly-cystic ovary disease and  has suffered with endometriosis  for approximately 15 years, She had been unsuccessful  during all of these years to get pregnant but just this week we have gottnen the news that her first invitro treatment was successful and she is due to give birth in late August 2008 or early September.  I can't help but wonder if this drug may have had something do with all of her female problems.
I am not sure as the same ingredients in Bendectin are in Unisom and a prenatal. both of which can and are often allowed in pregnancy. There many things that can cause PCOS, including something as easily remedied as being overweight. Endometriosis remains a mystery to many as far as the root cause is concerned. I suppose one may never really know if the two are related. At any rate, congratulations on the upcoming grandchild!

I myself am in the same boat as many people  asking the golden question, did bendectin cause my fertility issues? My OB and fertility specialist says that I have no problem concieving but my issue is with carrying a healthy pregnancy past 6 weeks. I have had 9 pregnancies in total 1 resulting in an ectopic pg and 1 resulting in my beautiful daughter who as time goes by I realize more and more how much or a blessing she really is. But this still doesn't take away the pain and morning for the others lost. if there is anyone out there who can shed some more light and provide other information it would be greatly appreciated.
Bendectin wasn't linked as far as I know, I have been asked by every OB is my mother took DES (Diethylstilbestrol) while pregnant as that has been clearly linked to spontaneous abortion (miscarriage), ectopic pregnancy, and pre-term delivery.

http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/154/4/316

As far as Bendectin, it has still been widely used around the world. I did come across one study that mentioned an increased risk of pyloric stenosis, but yet another that suggests the use of Bendectin is linked with a DECREASE in congenital heart defects. As you can see, the research is still be performed and can show many different end results.

But I have not found any conclusive evidence to link it with infertility.

I, too, have suffered through multiple losses, 5 total. But I cannot imagine how hard it must have been on you to lose so many.  I was blessed with three boys, my first came after my 3rd loss and then one loss between my first and second son and then another between my second and third . I underwent several tests after my 4th loss, all of which led to no conclusive answers. They were made aware of the prenatal exposure to Bendectin, which was considered insignificant. In the end, my testing pointed to "bad luck."

I suggest you google "Bendectin and Infertility" or "Prenatal exposure and infertility" The results brought back so much information, way too push to post here.

I hope some day you find your answers.
Hi Susie:
I am also doing research on morning sickness drugs that my mom may have taken in 1980 to see if any of them are related to my fertility problems.  I am 28, and have also been diagnosed with PCOS.  We have been trying to get pregnant for 3 years.  I have had two miscarriages and no successful pregnancies.  If you find out any more link between Benedectin and PCOS/infertility please post your info!  I would be very interested to know.  And congrats on the grandbaby, I'm thinking positive thoughts for you.
Hi, just wanted to let you all know, I came across this page while researching general materials involving Bendectin to supplement a legal paper I am writing. I am very familiar with the case itself and am writing about the particular scientific grounds that were at issue in that case, as it is a landmark for use of expert testimony. The case itself makes it very clear: the drug manufacturer had a vast epidemiological study using about 130,000 people, and found no link to the defects, BUT the people who were suing alleging defects caused by the drug had several other experts, all very well renowned, who reanalyzed the SAME information and found a link, as well as doing many other kinds of tests (animal, test tube, etc) and were all of the opinion that the drug DOES cause birth defects. Please just be aware that informal research on any drug you think you might take is not enough, you will come up with lots of contradictory information on old drugs, and very positive information on new drugs: the FDA and others have literally dropped the ball on this, if you can possibly avoid taking drugs at all during pregnancy that is your best bet by far. Keep in mind that the drugs being put out over the last 10 years or so are only tested by the companies that make them, and all negative research is NOT PUBLISHED, so even doctors will not have access to it. Hope that is helpful, and good luck.
I am 31 yrs old, and male. Both my mother and her sister were taking "BENEDECTIN" in 1977.  I and my cousin was diagnosed with enlarged aortic valves with abnormalities, sadly he did not survive a 2nd birthday. As I survived a grocery list of defects began showing. My feet are flat, all 10 toes have fused knuckles (they dont bend), my fingers are increasingly curling down and toward the thumb. I've struggled with fainting, cesures, migrians, and bowel disorders since birth. In my mid-20's diagnosed with mitral and tricuspid valve stenosis. At 28 I recieved a prostectic mitral valve and told to expect surgical attention of the tricuspid within 5-10 yrs.

65 % of females and 40 % of males born 1976-1982 with in utero exposure to "BENEDECTIN" have some type of physical abnormality. This seems to be more than just "bad luck" to me. This drug was shelved when cost exceded profit for that reason alone. 25 yrs later "BENEDECTIN" (minus the vitamin B-6) is "safe again", being sold again, and guess why ..... it's profitible again. I wonder what this comment board will look like in 2010, does history really repeat itself?
My mother took Bendectin when she was pregnant with me in 1976.  I have two older sisters and one younger sister.  Mine was the only of my mother's pregnancies in which Bendectin was taken.  None of my sisters has had any difficulting in becoming pregnant nor carrying their babies to full term.  I, on the other hand, have had countlesss problems with infertility and miscarriages.  Coincidence?  Maybe, but I have been extensively tested for the cause of my infertility and no apparent cause has been found.  I am not overweight, nor do I have any physical abnormalities.  Should I just chalk my situation up to bad luck or coincidence?  Possibly.
If you are looking for the FDA to come out and say, "Ooops, sorry.  Yeah, it really does cause birth defects." It's just not gonna happen.  If you're one of the moms who took Bendectin back in the 70's and you're blaming yourself for your daughter's infertility, DON'T.  You did nothing to purposefully hurt your child.   However, if you are a mother who is considering taking any medication during pregnancy, please do your own research.  The FDA and health care professionals are not going to tell you if any drug is 100% safe because they simply do not know.  There is no way for the FDA to say that a  drug is not harmful until the public tries it for a few years.  That's when they come out and say, "Oops we didn't know it could do that.  Stop taking it."  Don't be an "oops".  Be dilligent in your research and don't get all of your information from any one individual or source.  Hope this is helpful.  Best of luck to you!  
I am a 28 yr old female, My mother took Bendectin in Australia in 1981. I have had seven operations for polycystic ovaries and countless others that went untreated. I have also for the last 10 years had increasing arthritis in my knees, hands, feet and back which started at a young age. As I have gotten older I have started to notice that my right side of my body is slightly larger than my left ( more than the doctors generally say is nomal). The latter of these issues is how I came accross this blog. I had always wondered if that drug had anything to do with the size discrepencies, but had no idea that there was a link to polycystic ovaries.

If anybody knows of any journal articles that have been published regarding this drug that would be very helpful

regards
I took Bendectin for my 1975, 1978 and 1981 Pregnanies and not one of my three chidren have any unusal problems.  They all need glasses but my husband and myself are both very near and far sighted.  Diabetes is my family but none of my young adults have that problems.  Is possible I was lucky or could it be that I'm multi-racial and that was genetic aid.
My mother was one of the mothers involved in the lawsuit in reference to bendectin in the 80s.  I have a list of abnormalities including  a malformed hand, my right side larger than left, calcium deficiency, arthritis in many joints, and probably more that I am not aware of.  My mother says there was a settlement for this lawsuit but it was withdrawn because some of the mothers felt like the settlement was not enough money.  Now that I am older and am having more problems, because of natural body deterioration along with these abnormalities, I wish there was some money out there for me. The doctors told my parents that my problems would get worse as I got older and boy were they right.  You know what would make me happy?  To know why and how.  I am an analyst by nature and I would like to know exactly what happened, bendectin or not I would like to know.  
I began taking this drug in 1982 with my first pregnancy, I was so sick and when I began taking it I felt so much better but now after fearing this drug may have caused all the problems my daughter has faced the last 10 years I wish I had suffered through the sickness!  She has so many female problems, back and hip problems, surgeries and was hoping to learn more about anyone else having these issues?  Does anyone know if there is site where there are more blogs or other sites with more information on this drug? Thanks so much!

Cheryl
My Mom took Bendectin when she was pregnant with me and I am struggling with similar things to others here -- 3 miscarriages (no live births), endometriosis, PCOS.  I did some searches after coming across these posts and found this website with a lot of information:

http://www.birthdefects.org/research/bendectin_1.php

It blows all the other articles you read about how safe Bendectin was out of the water and makes an important distinction.  Prior to 1976 Bendectin had three ingredients -- B-6, doxylamine and dicyclomine.  The articles I've found about how safe the drug is only talk about the two ingredient version, which has B-6 and doxylamine.  

The article explains how dicylomine -- especially in combination with doxylamine -- is a cause of malformations and is likened to thalidomide.  I've only read the first article so far, but it doesn't seem to indicate anything about it causing fertility issues -- BUT it doesn't appear that the effects of this drug beyond what is noticed at birth has been studied.  If you take the time to read the article you will see how badly the whole thing was handled.  Reading other people's stories here really has to make those of us who were exposed to it wonder!!!
Update: Part Two of the article talks more about the ingredient doxylamine for those of you who took or were exposed to the drug after 1976 -- although in the first article it explains that because there was never a recall of the three ingredient version there could have been women exposed to this one up until 1982, when the five year shelf life would have passed.
30 year old male: My mother took this pill only a few times when she was pregnant with me. 1979-1980, She hated pills. I was born legally deaf, but have about 85% hearing in 1 ear. I also have deformities of my ears. She still had the bottle years later she saw a talk show addressing the issues people where having that had taken the pill.
I am 29 and have recently found out I have what's called a 'bicornuate uterus'. This can cause miscarriages and early births. My mom took an anti - morning sickness drug when pregnant with me in 1980, and also with my brother and sister (1979 and 1976). She doesn't remember the name of it though. My brother and sister both have abnormalities in the reproductive organs, and so now I'm starting to wonder if the meds my mom took had an effect on us.
Anyone else whose mother took Bendectin have a bicornuate uterus??
i found out that i had a bicornuate uterus when i was 7 weeks pregnant with my first daughter during an ultrasound.  my mother took benedectin when she was pregnant with me in 1976.  i have had two successful, though breech and painful pregnancies.  both kids born via c-section.  i have suffered from migraines from early childhood and an irregular menstrual cycle.  
I am a 26 yo female and just recently found out my Mum took Bendectin in 1983 when she was pregnant with me. I have had problems ever since puberty with cystitis and irregular menstral cycles. Now I am trying to concieve (conceive) and finding it near impossible. The more research I do into bendectin the more I think it's all related... I think we are only beginning to see the real effects of what this drug has done.
I'm a 26 year old male with a long list of birth defects.  I am wondering if anyone has had any physical deformities of the brain?  I have been plagued with migraines and other issues since i was really young.  Has anyone else discovered cerebral infarx?
My mother also took this nausea pill in 1975 while pregnant with me. I was born with severe abnomalities. My fingers and toes did not fully develope in both hands and my right foot. I also have scoliosis. My mother had a cyst the size of a grapefruit on her ovary when I was young, and I can't help but wonder if this drug was the cause. I see that there was a lawsuit filed, many years ago. I think that it is time for those of us that this drug has affected to take a stand and file another lawsuit.
my mother took the same med while pregnant with me in 1979. I have been unsuccessful in getting pregnant. I want to know if anyone has filed a lawsuit and won. Please get back with me!
If morning sickness is a defense mechanism against the ingestion of toxins, the prescribing of anti-nausea medication to pregnant women may have the undesired side effect of causing birth defects or miscarriages by encouraging harmful dietary choices.[9]

Woman who do not have morning sickness have a higher rate of miscarriage and birth defects.

Doing some research (I think my brother has fertility issues because my mom took it with him) it seems almost like the drug itself isn't the problem, it is the fact that the drug is surpressing a function of our body meant to protect the fetus. Research has shown that morning sickness may very likely be a protective mechinism for the fetus because of toxins in foods etc. So possibly you'all are experiencing birth defects not because of the drug but because the drug surpressed your mothers natural defenses for you. More proof to show GO NATURAL, stop trying to medicate for everything. God made us a certain way, our bodies know what to do. Stop messing with nature!

I am a 32 year old female,
My mom took Bendectin in 1978 when she was pregnant with me for her morning sickness, my dad was in the navy stationed in Charleston, South Carolina, there at the Naval Hospital is where she got the pill Bendectin for morning sickness.  I have severe SVT's (Supraventricular Tachycardia) heart problems in which I take medicine for 3 times a day. I was born without a tear-duct in my right eye, which I have had surgery for, and I was born with no eye teeth. I believe that these are all malformities/birth defects caused by the Bendectin that my mother took while she was pregnant with me.
When my mom got pregnant with my brother in 1981, she wanted the little purple pill ( Bendectin) that she took with me for morning sickness, and the Naval Hospital  in  Charleston, South Carolina wouldn't give her the Bendectin pill beacause it had been banned for causing birth defects.
I have a healthy 5 year old boy, but I didn't carry him full-term, I had several ultrasounds done while I was pregnant because of the medicine I was taking for my SVT's. I ended up having a emergency C-section.
I see that there was a lawsuit filed, many years ago. I think that it is time for those of us that this drug has affected to take a stand and file another lawsuit.

I am a 31 year old female and my mother took Bendictin while she was pregnant with me. I have 4 healthy children who were all carried full term, I never had any miscarriages or fertility problems/treatments. However,  I did have scoliosis for which I had corrective surgery at age 17.   I am missing 9 adult teeth, and my wisdom teeth. When baby teeth fell out as as a child there were no teeth to replace them. I was just wondering if anyone else had similar birth defects??
First I just want to say that while I feel for all of you and what you are going through I have to admit that it's somewhat of a relief to not be alone in this battle. So thank you for whoever started this blog.

I'm 31 and while my mother was pregnant she was prescribed Bendictin to help with the nausea. This discussion just came up recently due to more medical issues I am experiencing. At age 11 I was diagnosed with juvenile rheumetoid arthritis and asthma. When I was 18, I was diagnosed with endometreosis and told I had a bicornuate uterus. Now at 31 I am fighting a battle with Chrone's disease and a severe second round of arthritis. On a side note (I also had 3 baby teeth until I was 29 as there were no adult teeth to replace them). I have two brothers both of which were born fine and my mother did not take any meds during those pregnancies.

As I mentioned before I am greatful to know there are others out there. I do not know if this is something caused from these meds that were taken but if there is any help out there I'm here to listen. I'm very happy to see that most of you have been able to conceive, which I am praying I will some day be able to do myself. So thank you for that. It's just nice to know I am not alone and that there may be an actual reason all this is happening to me.    
my son is 41 years old and he is one of the 33 millions children who born severely disable mentally and physically.the ingredients in the medicine were Lynch and  Turpin, known as pain thinner ingredient on paints.Merryl dow pharmaucetical industry corporation they claim they ban the medicine from the market on 1956 .it bull. some of the doctors my have received commissions from them  by pushing the medicine and precribe it to the patients specially if they were under age ,meaning guinny pigs like they thought we were.the federal in their last and final report not ony affected the fetus but the mother  and the future sibblings.609-880-3955. this final report came in 1993,butthey stated their concern for the future sibblings because the medicine was allready in the mother system. later they change their name to metabolize vitamin company.to my knowledge some went to jailed. i sue but rumor are being circulated that they stoled the actual amount assign to my son and my self.it is 9 digit amount and everyone is covering for each other.some should notified the us president about the manhattan supreme court.
I am 28 and my mother took Bendectin while she was pregnant. I am a celiac (allergy to wheat), I have PCOS, endometriosis and hypothyroidism. I have had 2 surgeries this year for endometrial cysts, one in each ovary. My mouth and teeth did not form properly so there was not enough room in my mouth for all of the teeth- so some were pulled out. I had curved big toes so I had to wear metal braces on my legs for 6 months in order to walk properly.
I am also praying I can conceive given my history. It is all very sad and I pray for myself and any woman who has a painful existence. It does help to hear what others have to say on the matter- and like someone mentioned above that there may be a reason.
I am 33 years and my mom took this and another (now illegal) drug when pregnant with me. I have lived my life with all sorts of problems like a deformed heart, deformed kidney, scoliosis, deformed intestines, migraines, fainting, digestive disorders, and the list goes on... All of the life challenges this has caused me has been more of a blessing than a curse, supporting my spiritual growth and emotional maturity development. Now I would love to have children and certainly hope I can. I have had only 2 miscarriages and no children yet. I devoted my life to taking impeccable care of my body when i was 15, to give it every chance to heal. I feel healthier now than i have ever been. I have a very strict diet that i enjoy very much and have moved to the mountains to breath clean air and drink clean water. Endometriosis is often associated with an acidic diet. I am blessed to not have it. There seems to be little anyone can do about the FDA's crimes. There is always something we can do now. I encourage you all to focus on the positive and care for the body you have been given to your greatest ability. If you dont see the benefits, at least you tried and you will be right with God and yourself when you transition. Many blessings to you all.
Just wondering if anyone taking Bendictin suffered from premature abruption of the placenta?  When my first child was born part of my placenta was dead from separation from the wall, and my third child was stillborn at 7 1/2 months.  Upon checking the placenta from his birth, a huge bloodclot was found behind the placenta where it had separated from the wall.  I had four births, but only took the medication with the first and third child.  Have always wondered if there was any connection.  
I am a mother who took Benedectin (in the l970's) with two of my four pregnancies. One of my daughters was born with a submucus cleft pallet(spelling?)  and eye problems...both of which required surgery in childhood.She is now married and trying to become pregnant. It doesnt seem to be happening...eight months of waiting so far.
    Another daughter has very irregular menstrual cycles, had to have several teeth removed, all at one time, to make room for permanent teeth and also needed to wear a brace on her feet in childhood. One of the two girls also has learning disabilities.  My other two children have no medical issues...but I did not require anti-nausea meds with them.
     I feel incredibly sad that one little med that I took ( when all else failed to help me keep food down in pregnancy) might prevent my daughters from having children. Just today my daughter told me she prays that God will let her have a baby. She and her husband want one so badly.
    ( Incidently Ladies, be very careful not to fall for "adoption scams"...)
    I too believe that it is just far too much of a coincidence for so of us many to have had similar experiences while taking the drug ,for it not be caused by the drug.   Kind of like what I heard someone say once,  "when I pray all kinds of coincidences happen, when I dont pray none happen..."
    I think we need to keep talking about this! If the drug DID cause it then maybe, just maybe, some wonderful women and their children will be spared our pain by avoiding taking it.
Hi there, my 5 year old daughter has a sub mucose cleft palate, mild spinobifia hearing loss and a heart murmur. I have been reading up on the drug diclectin wich I took during pregnancy. And it was recalled in the u.s because it caused birth defects.  I am pursuing legal action against the manufacturer.
there is another forum full of people just like you all and myself where i have slugged it out with strangers on this subject victims of bendectin on facebook and the peoples medicine forum also.So horrible that they get to get away with these hundreds of thousands of lives forever affected by defective birth. .. For the morning sickness really or is it the money or is it the population control like what and how do they go on pushing the ill mommies to be onto what clearly isnt safe to the child so...
I'm not sure what drugs are safe and which ones are not. I'm on my forth pregnancy and have been hospitalized 4 times because of dehydration because of my morning sickness. My morning sickness is an all day sickness and I'm 4 months pregnant and have lost over 35 pounds. I have tried to avoid taking meds but, it is also unhealthy for me to not keep anything down including water while I'm pregnant. If any of you have advice please let me know.
I took Bendectin for both my second and third pregnancies, resulting in both of  my daughters being profoundly deaf. My son is fine, I did not take Bendectin for that pregnancy. We have no family history of deafness. The formulas of the original Bendectin was relatd to Thalidomide, which also showed ear deformities and hearing loss. As both of my girls  had almost identical losses , we tend to feel this was due to the medication.
I also have a friend who took Bendectin during her son's  pregnancy , he had limb reduction and heart defects!
I took Bendectin in 76, 77, 79, 82 when preg.; I have a daughter from 77 with multiple birth defects, uterine, heart, auto immune, sons had birth defects too...I would like more information on any class action lawsuits etc. Seems like this drug really did a lot of bad things to out unborn babies, I never took any other meds except prenatal vitamins, ***@****  
My husand and I were stationed in Gaeta, Italy (U.S. Navy) when I became pregnant in 1980 and was prescribed Bendectin. . I delivered my daughter in April 1981 and she was born with Transpostion of the Great Vessels. She had open heart surgery at six months old. She is now 30 and just had a check up and not doing well. She is waiting for results of Echo and MRI and will probably need follow up surgery. She was told that she cannot have children due to her heart. Feel so guilty and to this day, I believe her heart problems were due to taking Bendedtin. Interestingly there is no record in my medical file that I was ever prescribed this medicationl
I am a 33 year old male born with a malformation of my left arm.  And guess what?  My poor mother had been perscribed bendictin for her morning sickness problem.  If there is no danger in pregnant women taking this drug then why has it been pulled from the shelves by its manufacturer for the last twenty + years?  Why are so many people affected by this coincidence?  I say coincidence my *** this company knows it has done us harm and has proven it by pulling the drug off the market.  It is time to try again to get justice for our suffering!  Please let me know if there are any lawsuits being persued so I can join in, I know the supreme court ruled on this already but I have a hard time beliving that we are not entitled to some sort of compensation.
I just wanted to add that my mother also took this drug in 1973 while pregnant for me, and I also have PCOS.  I have been told by several people in the medical profession that the two are related.
Has anyone heard of an anti-nausea drug known as "pink & blues" used in the late 50s and 60s? I thought it might be somehow be related to the drug that was banned. I know of a person that has Hip Displaysia that is most common in dogs. I wounder if there is a connection.
I am a 33 year old female who's mother was also given *Bendectin*. I have battled many health problems over the years, and also have a deformed foot. My Right foot is wider then the left by great amounts, my second and third toes are postioned in the V shape pulling away from one another a little more everyday. The third toe is my Turtle :) as I call him...(The large cushion of fatty tissue sits on top like a turtle shell) I started calling it my turtle as a way of dealing with deformity. The second toe is wide and fat all the way around. They both cont. to get larger....The top of this foot also is puffy and it to cont. to get larger. I have had surgery on it but it just keeps coming back. I have also suffered IBS, Acute Back Pain Chronic Back Pain ,severe menstrual pains with severe bleeding problems that have landed me in the hospital and after finally having two kids I ended up with a Hysterectomy. I also suffer from migraines,iron-deficiency anaemia and I have Hypothyroidism. Does anyone know of any current class action suits against the company or is anyone intrested in being a part of one. There are several sites I have found where the familys had at one time tried but what about thoes of us that have to live with the aftermath of this drug !!!!
Hello my name is Brent I was born in Cuba, my dad was at gitmo and see that alot of birth defecs where military related.I was born in 1976 with one ear,and to many small complications to speak of ie allergies,ashma,flat feet,the ear do have hav 12 tubes,cut off to line up with cannal better,.....i had just flat side with no ear,did the whole rib cut out whole drilled cokecular implant now left with a mess and pain i dont wish on anyone,ringing that could break glass and no equalibreum on left side,i have had 29 surgries,and would ask anyone who knows best rout to take to get help taped out over 150,000.00 in bills,and 1200.00 for just meds,800.00 every three months for bandaids ,i dont no if maybe was a law suit that was inplace for bendectin,or what to do but cant belive how much there or similar cases,live in s.c.
I took Bendectin in 1977 while I was pregnant with my daughter and now she suffers with  poly ovarian cysts and the odds she will ever get pregnant are slim to none
whom so ever said that this medicine was ban on the 80's lie.this medicine was supose to be band on the 50's.and Merryl Dow Pharmaceutical industry ,someone went to jail ,because of it.they were caught with their pants down,when they [FDA]and the authorities proved they included a chemical name lynch  but worth of all the other chemical was TURPIN [ an ingredient found in paints know as TURPINE.this medicine was provent in the last report from the FEDERAL court base in Bendectin,that they were concern about the future sibblings because the turpine was all ready in the mother system,it cause ADHD or other for of mental disability.i sue,them but they withhold back the imformation,and both side of the lawyers committed  before ,during and after case went to pre-trial perjury,obstruction of justice. Turpin is a paint thinner ingredient that Merryl Dow pharmaceutical Corporation  use in the making of BENDECTIN.they lie and so are the Doctor's for accepting the commision to push the drug in the market.my son was born in May 22 of 1969,he is phisycally and mentally disable ,but i have never gave  up on him,he some times use a wheelchair for outside.the hospital official and the Manhattan supreme court help,cover up the finding,but there is expeculation that there are millions missing from the law suit,stolen from this child and his family.
I was given the drug bendectin for morning sickness and as thousands of other women my daughter is diagnosed with PCOD. there is no founded reason for this. She is not overweight and does not have the other symptoms associated with this disease. There is no family history of this and doctors say she is in a small percentage of women with this disease with no other associated symptoms. She has never had a menstrual cycle. She also has eye problems, and suffers with bladder infections and mitral valve issues. I have three other children which none have been afflicted with any of this. She is the only one I took Bendectin with. I don't think these are all just coincidences
I took Bendectin for both of my pregnancies in 1974 and 1975.  My youngest daughter born in 1975 found out a couple of years ago that she had a double uterus.  She also has very HEAVY and problematic periods.  She has never been prgnant, but her OB - GYN told her she would be a high-risk pregnancy if she ever tries to conceive.  I didn't know anything about side-effects until today when a co-worker of hers (both R.N's) told her of the problems with this drug today.  I immediately got on the internet to see what I could find.  I am so sorry.
I,m sorry to hear about your daughter and wish her the best in the future.I took Bendectine in the 80's. My daughter has been diagnosed with PCOS, has never had a menstrual cycle and suffers other symptoms associated with this disorder. She has been told by a fertility specialist her chances of conceiving are slim. If you have any information on websites or knowledge on this matter that you wish to share it would be very appreciated.
can you help me with any information on who to talk to or who to contact for law suit cases in the past. you say your mother was involved in a case, how long ago was that and in what country and city. any info you may be able to provide me to get started would be greatly appreciated. thanks nancy
I also took Bendectin for morning sickness while I was pregnant with my daughter in 1980.  It was pulled from the market while I was taking it.  She is 31 years old now and has some of the same problems mentioned: heart arrythmia, teeth issues (too many for her mouth; had to have some pulled to make room) and a very high arched palate (like a gothic arch, rather than a nice rounded barrel vault.  She has had several positive PAP smears but no serious diagnoses there.  I would also be interested in a class-action suit if there is anything out there, but I haven't heard of one.
I too took Bendectin in the 70's all three of my daughters are either infertile or have have no success on getting pregnant . Would like to gather names and phone numbers to try to consult with my lawyer re: class action ect!!
I would like to contact a lawyer too I have 3 daughters unable to get preg !!!took Bendectin with all three in the 70's
My mother took Bendectin in 1981 while pregnant with me.  I was born without my thyroid and have been on Synthroid since I was a week old.  I have had back pain since I was a teenager and started seeing a chiropractor in 2009.  I just had my gallbladder taken out two weeks ago and have had complications with my surgery.  I have always had regular menstrual cycles and have two children.  

OB/GYN prescribed Bendectin again in 1982 while my mother was pregnant with my sister.  She didn't take it but kept a Rx bottle and a written prescription.  

The drug manufacturer should be held accountable for all of these birth defects.  There are too many people on here having lifelong issues and I'm sure that there are many more dealing with this.  If anyone can spark interest with a lawyer for a class action lawsuit I would like to be included.  
I am wondering if anyone who has taken Bendectin during their pregnancy in the 1970's has had a child with disorders looking like bi-polar or schizophrenia? I am concerned that my 32 year old son is suffering from mental problems that may have been as a result of exposure to Bendectin. I took it for about 7 or the 9 months of his pregnancy?
I took the medicine in 1981 for five of the nine months I was pregnant with my son. I am looking into this now because my son seems to be the same way you have described. I have wondered for years what could be wrong with him. No one else in the family is this way. He is 30 now and I have taken him to mental health doctors and the medicine they gave him has not benefited him.
I took Bendectin back in 1978 for my 1st pregnacy. I was throwing up 24/7 for the first 7 months. My neighbor was a pharmacist and when he found out I was still taking it 6 mos. into my pregnancy, he said that it was only conidered safe during the first 3 months. He could not belive my doctor still had me on it. I stopped taking it immediatly. My son is bi-polar and is now 34 yrs old. He has had issues most of his life, but was not diagnosed until his early 20's.  My husband saw a specal on TV one night about all the problems associated with Bendectin back then and figured that is why our son had his issuses. I never saw the show but wish I had. I have felt guilty all these years.
My mother to this medication when she was pregnant with in 1974, I am now a 37 year old infertitiy issues!
I am reading all these posts and just in shock! I took Benedictin in 1978 for nausea during pregnancy with my son. At 26 he was diagnosed with testicular cancer. Drs say no reason, no history of any kind of cancer on either side, just bad luck. I have had this gut feeling of guilt that the nausea Meds I took when pregnant with him caused this. For the past 7 years since he was diagnosed everyone including my son have thought I was crazy. Now I am not so sure! Have not seen any posts on this with the boys of us moms who took this. Are tere any out there ?
I am a mom who was prescribed Bendectin in 1980 for morning sickness while pregnant with my first baby boy.  I took it for a month and decided nothing would help my morning sickness so I discontinued taking it.  My son was born with webbed fingers on one hand which I did not associate with Bendectin until I heard that in subsequent years it was banned.  My son has recently been told by the dentist that he does not have certain adult teeth behind baby teeth in his mouth.  He is 32.  He has said the doctor told him he has a hole in his tailbone that is very uncommon.  I hope others mothers thinking of taking this pill (if it is unbanned) never have to face this horrible life of 'not knowing'.
I took Bendectin in 1981, and my daughter has the exact same thing as your daughter. Breaks my heart into. I know she wants to have children, and so far is unable to. All because of a stupid drug I had to take because of morning sickness.
My daughter has PCOS and a fallen uterus. I was told I had to take bendectin in 1981 while I was pregnant with her , or I would loose her. She has not been able to have children. Really upsets me.
I was the only child that my mom took it with.  I have three normal sisters and then  theres me.  A very brittle form of Bipolar Disorder, ADD, OCD, Epilepsy, and my body has the skeletal frame of a person with Marfans, scoliosis and such.  Everything but heart problems.  Oh and Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hypothyroidism and my cycle is irregular.  I take a million meds.  I don't enjoy the fact that my other sisters are fine.  
I'm not sure where one goes from here except to ask questions of the current doctors working with our kids and see what they have to say about the possible negative impact of Bendectin exposure.
I wish we could find a copy of that show. I would be very interested in what was said. There seems to be very little about this issue to be found on the Internet except for this discussion board. Seems strange there isn't more out there about the drug and possible side effects.
My mom took it in 1980. My baby teeth were the most disgusting yellow which at times made me so self concious I wouldnt smile at school. My adult teeth were not as bad but to this day I have to get bonding on my front teeth to cover up the grouse yellow stains. All my life I've been super anxious and have dealt with depression and some OCD. When I got my first period in 1994 I would bleed for months straight. I was so sick and the doctors couldnt figure out why. So I was put on birth control pills. Been on the pill for the past 18 years. My eye sight also became really bad once puberty hit. I am now 32 years old and about 4 years ago I had to have surgery to remove my right ovary which had a massive cyst on it. Does anyone know if there have been any law suits??
Does anybody have an info regarding male offspring issues due to the use of Benedectin during pregnancy?
Hello Damron,
I am wondering and just beginning my research on this morning sickness medication I took long ago. My daughter does not have all the effects from it as some do, but clearly it has affected her too. She had flat feet, her toes are smaller than usual,  she had to have braces as a child because she was so pidgin toed, and knock-kneed, and they did amazing job on her for that, can't hardly tell it now. But she has had 5 miscarriages and has given birth to 4 wonderful children, in which all the boys are flat footed now.  Her health is great, but her mental effects of it are quite obvious to many. She doesn't have any heart difficulties. However, she weighted over 10 ponds at birth and I was eating all the time, so.  Now days they say that severe morning sickness is a sign of multiple births. I do wonder if she had a twin they took, but maybe not. As they put me out to deliver her without it being a C section.
I am posting this information because I now wonder if it is what affected her. And God only knows if she was a twin another child may wonder why they are like they are somewhere. I took bendectin for at least every bit of 8 months of my term of being pregnant.
It is said now that extreme morning sickness is one of the signs of multiple births. As far as the records show I only had one daughter at that  delivery. But now I wonder. I fear that I was one of those that the Nuns took their baby. I have stood beside my children every inch of the way to be there for what this drug has caused us. It is not a heredity thing or a fertility thing that caused it due to genes. It is the drug I am certain. As my other child does not have these things and as I only took the bendectin for about 6 weeks with my second child. But needed it desperately with the first child up to the day of delivery. I felt it caused my first child many difficulties and did more things to fight the morning sickness. I am still researching this and will reveal my results to my daughter soon. I am sad to say we were not aware of this before. Thanks to the internet the findings are much easier to find now days.
H Cheryl,
I too took Bendictin. I am sad too what it has caused. I was so sick clear up to the day I delivered her if I missed on pill I was extremely ill. I was dehydrated at only 4 weeks preg. and it was a God send, or so we thought at the time too. I too wish I could have suffered it out and been older and wiser with her. I feared it caused her problems as my other daughter which I didn't take it but just about 4 to 6 weeks wit her. She had none of the physical or even mental difficulties my first daughter had in which I took the bendectin with. My daughter had to have braces on her legs and feet at age 2, her feet turned in so bad she could barely learn to walk and was way over a year before she walked, which I realized was to slow even at the time. My second daughter walked at 8 months, and did everything so much quicker and easier than my first child too. There should have been a law suit for it but evidently not. My daughter sure could have used the help. She mostly but.... we have mourned her 5 miscarriages, and my other daughter didn't have one miscarriage. These kids deserve help from somewhere for what our doctors did.  It has been so long now since those days of meds. And if its back on the market again I fear for others too.
I too have a 31 year old son with learning disabilities. He was diagnosed with a severe form of ADD by the first grade. I also was given Bendectin to take because the "morning sickness" was so severe. I took that product for about 5 months of my pregnancy with him. His life is such a struggle for him, unable to read or write very well means that he cannot keep a job and support himself. I also have 2 daughters that I did NOT have morning sickness with, and they are both fine. I have often wondered if this drug contributed in some way to this learning disability. After reading these posts I am convinced that there is a correlation!
I am 39 years old.  My mother took Bendectin while she was pregnant with me for nausea in 1973.  I was born with several birth defects including coarctation of the aorta, mitral valve stenosis, double reproductive system and was born with only one kidney.  I was also diagnosed with breast cancer in 2010 and can only wonder if this is also related to this drug?
Re:  Stained yellow teeth

Were you given Flouride tablets as a child?  I was and have permanent yellow staining on my teeth.  My sister always teased me saying that I had "butter" on my teeth.  
Read this article if you want more info.: http://www.nytimes.com/2000/09/26/science/controversial-drug-makes-a-comeback.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm
The original drug had 3 products in it, later it was reduced to just 2 ingredients: an anti-histamine and the Vitamin B6.
It has been on the market for 30 years in Canada with no birth defects. The original doctor involved in the US trials was proven to have lied about Bendectin. He was involved with a previous drug, thalidomide which Was proven to cause defects and he was called on again for Bendectin by some shady lawyers looking to cash in. Since his omission, and loss of all privileges to practice in Australia, the patient data has shown that the 2 ingredient product had a lower incidence of BD's than in all women who took no meds. Merrell Dow never lost a single Bendectin lawsuit and the Supreme Court ruled in their favor as well, based on the correct scientific patient data.

Some of your mothers may have taken the drug thalidomide and not Bendectin. That is a common error when people discuss what drug they took in the 70's and 80's. There are numerous reasons why birth defects occur and most are not caused by meds especially because so many women refuse meds during pregnancy. Example, According to the March of Dimes, about 150,000 babies are born with birth defects each year in the United States. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) says that 3 out of every 100 babies born in the United States have some kind of major birth defect and yet Bendectin is not still available in the US. The March of Dimes even supported the return of Bendectin a few years ago.
I am trying to find out what drug my mom took when she was pregnant with my 33 year old brother. He has a learning disability and adult ADHD. He's been depressed because he doesn't understand why my two other brothers (ages 35 & 31) and myself (I'm 30) can understand everything without an issue. My mom was very ill during her pregnancy with my 33 year old brother. She had pneumonia, bronchitis, and horrible morning sickness. She only took meds for the morning sickness. I just started researching these meds, so, if anyone can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it! These meds didn't just affect females, they affected males too. Please email me with any info @ ***@**** thank you for any help!!! :)
I took bendectin in 1971/2 during my whole pregnancy.  I gave birth two weeks early of my due date to a healthy boy.  While growing up, he had no learning disabilities - was very bright, active and daring.  He was my "challenge" to be sure.  He married, inherited his Dad's business upon Dad's death (from cancer), had three children and was doing superbly.  At the age of 37, he developed anxiety, began having trouble sleeping - going for several days without sleep, had vision problems, had frequent urinary tract infections, and also had a constant thirst.  He had been seeing his primary care doctor monthly for at least six months.  He became disoriented one day and tried to cross a semi-frozen river and drowned.  This was one day after seeing his physician .. again.  We were able to determine later that he hadn't slept in over a week.   We have no answers.  It appears his physician dismissed his symptoms.  He had never been diagnosed as diabetic but it appears he may have been.  Could there have been some other underlying reason?  We'll never know.  The autopsy report gave us no answers.  The only substance in his system was an over the counter sleep aid.  He had been taking it to help him sleep which hadn't worked.  This has us wracking our brains as to what was happening to him.  No one else in the family had any situation like this nor was there anyone who was or is diabetic.  It has me looking back trying to figure out if there were any signs or problems in the past to indicate what could have been happening to him.  Could there be any link to bendectin?  I am posting this because if I can give any information to any one who may be heading in that direction, please don't allow yourself or your loved one to be dismissed by a doctor - seek immediate attention, care and treatment.  Also, if anyone has had a similar experience, I would love for you to share it with me.  jakette
Well, it didn't post my email. Its kosmon1982 @ AOL.  Com
Oh my! I'm sorry for your loss... :(

My brother also has scoliosis and anxiety.
A link to a drug taken 37 years earlier may be a stretch. Drugs taken during pregnancy usually affect the fetus in the early years.
If the OTC sleeping drug has diphenhydraminein it, that drug has been known to cause memory loss and other effects. The dosage of the drug has differing affects in different doses in many people, some people have insomnia at different doses, the opposite effect of the drug. It also causes dry mouth as most anti-histamines do.
It is an old drug that crosses the blood brain barrier and IMO should not be taken often nor relied on for sedation. TylenolPM is an example of a sleep aid that is also a dangerous combo and not to be used on a regular basis. Tylenol is very hard on the liver and kidneys and will eat at the lining of the stomach and the sleep aid in it is diphenhydramine, two drugs not to be taken regularly but too many people take them often.
The mistake that many people make is constantly using meds on a daily basis. Most Drugs relieve symptoms only and do not deal with the root cause of the problem, but because they take away the symptoms people rely on them too often. The body(especially) the liver and kidneys have to work overtime to handle medications, why continue to tax them? Get your son off the sleep aid, IMO.
I am looking for the name of the drug for morning sickness back in the 70's. My mom said the pill was white with a red dot in the center, but thalidomide was a black and white capsule. I am now 40, and my body is breaking down. I have a form of scoliosis where I have an extra curve where I shouldn't have one, and an absence of a curve where it should be. I was born with a foot curvature that  I still have problems with today; I have had cervical cancer, and now possibly breast cancer. I also have fibromyalgia, and some learning disorders. My mom took this drug with all three of us kids,up till 1978 for her entire pregnancies due the severe vomiting. My youngest brother is mentally challenged and can not live on his own due to this drug. I also have two kids that now also have severe physical and metal disorders because I too had the severe morning sickness. I really would like to find out the name of this drug, and one who remembers what drug this was please leave a comment.
Oh yea, I also had trouble getting pregnant, carrying to full term, tons of miscarriages a couple doctors in the hospitals told me  that I would never be able to have kids... only reason I have my kids now was because the doctor put me on brethine with my fist child for preterm labor from the 5th month of pregnancy to the end, and compazine for the severe vomiting. Both of my kids are miracles its suprising that they survived at all.
My mother took this medication from the time she was 2 months pregnant to the time she was 8 months pregnant, twice a day. I have SpinaBifida Occulta, Spinal Stenosis , Arthritis throught my joints, Scheuermanns disease as well as OCD and severe anziety and depression. My children also have issues. I have 6 kids and they all have problems.
I took this medication in 1978/79 with my daugheter.  At a young age her teeth came in very poor condition with multiple teeth cavities with fillings and caps.  At 14 she was diagnosed  with scoliosis of the back and went through assistance with the Shriners group (who were wonderful).  She didn't have surgery and has had 3 children all fine (at this point).  Her adult teeth came in okay, but now she has had to have a cadaver bone put in to hold her teeth in place as her jaw bones are deteriorating.  She has arthritis and hurts frequently with that.  I'm concerned with her bones being so poor from birth since I also had two boys (did not take the medication with) and they are fine.  I did not know about any lawsuit from this medication.  Please keep me informed also.  
I took Benedictine on my first pregnancy and my 1st born has Autism, he has some motor skill coordination issues also.  My other son I took nothing, and he is fine.
I would like to be included in any class action , for my son, is struggling.
I have not seen anyone write about it, but my son is 31, and  I took bendectin the entire pregnancy, and he has been trying for 9 years to have a baby with no luck. his wife has three boys, he would do anything for a baby, does anyone else have a son with this problem?
I took Bendectin in 1982 my first born was born with a severe to profound deafness, and asthma! She has had three miscarriages and  finally had our grandaughter! I widh I would never have taken this drug.
I too took Bendectin in 1980 with my first pregnancy and again in 1982 with the second. I didn't take it with my third daughter, born in 1987 because it was no longer available. My two daughters born after I took Bendectin had no birth defects, all their teeth, no emotional problems. My oldest daughter got pregnant right after getting married and delivered a healthy baby boy. In the 3 years since then, she has had 4 miscarriages; not being able to carry the baby past 6 weeks. My second daughter has had two healthy children with one miscarriage between them. My third daughter is not married. I took a lot of Bendectin with the first pregnancy because I was sick 24/7. I took it into the second trimester. I didn't need as much the second time and stopped taking it sooner.
I'm in disbelief. My mother took bendectin in 1981 as I was born in 1982. I have a deformed ear, severe back pain, arched roof of my mouth, joint pain, migraines, hypothyroidism, and PCOS.

My husband and I have been trying to get pregnant for 2 years with no success. I finally went to a Reproductive Specialist and was asked on a form about medications my mother took while pregnant. I couldn't believe it since I remembered my mom telling me something about a medication took for morning sickness. Needless to say it's bendectin. I am so heartbroken reading these posts but also feel like I'm not alone. My sisters are perfectly normal and have conceived twice without issue. My mom only took the medication with me. I appreciate the stories and the people who share them.
I took Bendectin during my second pregnancy, because my doctor said I had to keep food down for the baby's sake. My son was born in 1975 with multiple  birth defects. The left side of his body was smaller than the right side,he was blind and had glaucoma. When he was 10 months old, we found out he had hydrocephalus , and they put a shunt in to drain the fluid from his head. He died at 18 months of pneumonia, because he was too weak to fight it. I am convinced that Bendectin caused his problems. Of course, the doctor later said it wasn't the cause. I'm sure his defects were never reported to anyone. I wonder how many  other thousands of babies were born with similar problems, and never included in any study about this drug.  I am a heartbroken mother who didn't have to have this happen.
My mother took this drug also when pregnant with me in 1976. I started having what they called seizures at a very early age (6wks). These symptoms I have however do not fall under any seizure category I have looked up. They are usually caused by some sort of nerve pain, like for example I have bumped my elbow and had a "seizure". During these "seizures" I will always get this weird smell before I pass out and stop breathing completely. With every seizure as a child my dad had to give me cpr to get me breathing again. As an adult I do not have them as much and this might be in part that I don't hurt myself nearly as much, but I do still have them. I also as a child had a very weak immune system and was hospitalized several times for pneumonia. I ended up going to the doctors once a month for a year to receive a gamma globulin shot to help with my immune system. I have never had problems with getting pregnant. I have 4 healthy children, but was told recently by my doctor that I now have a tilted uterus. I will have headaches everyday for weeks at a time sometimes,