Maternal Expert Forum
High fever during early pregnancy
About This Forum:

Patient medical question and answer from The Maternal and Child Health Forum. Health topic area and articles about newborn care

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

High fever during early pregnancy

My daughter and husband had a viral illness this week that gave them temperatures between 103 and 104 degrees.  Acetaminophen did not lower the fever in my husband, only 800 mg of ibuprofen the doctor gave him lowered it, and then only to 102 degrees.  My question is this:  if were to get this illness is a fever this high deleterious to fetal development?  I am 8 weeks pregnant.  Also, since Tylenol does not lower it and ibuprofen is contraindicated during pregnancy, then would speaking to my doctor about antiviral medication should I feel the symptoms coming on be warranted?  Thank you very much for you time and consideration.
Related Discussions

_
Dear Susannah
There have been some reports that have suggested that high maternal body temperatures may be associated with open neural tube defects in the developing baby. However, the elevated temperature would have to occur very early in the pregancy, since the fetal neural tube closes (has completed this phase of development) by 28 days post-conceptual age (6 weeks after the last menstrual period). Since you are now 8 weeks pregnant (I am assuming by LMP), if you have not had a fever by now there should be little concern of this problem.
Incidently, all pregnant women are recommended to be routinely screened for open neural tube defects at 15-20 weeks of gestation using the serum alpha fetoprotein test (MSAFP), which is one of the components of the "triple screen test" offered for birth defects. A normal result of this test should also be very reassuring in your case.

Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
242532_tn?1269553979