Maternal Expert Forum
Re: stopping breathing

Patient medical question and answer from The Maternal and Child Health Forum. Health topic area and articles about newborn care

Re: stopping breathing

Posted By Amy on May 03, 1999 at 12:22:44
my son, age 3, since he was about 1 and walking has had a problem. almost everytime he hits his head, (harder than normal) such as tripping or falling out of bed, he will start to cry then take a deep breath, and pass out then he won't breath at all. If we shake him like we are trying to wake him, he will usually start breathing after about a minute. Dr.s have told us not to worry that he will be fine as long as he continues to revive himself, but I've heard that this is a siezure of some sort, but the dr.s are saying that it's not possible. We have lowered his bed to one mattress on no frame and gotten rid of the bunkbeds(he slept on the bottom, but anytime he hits his head I'm scared to death. Please Help!!!!

Posted By Kelsey on May 04, 1999 at 11:23:00
Hi Ann, My son, now 6 years old, did the same thing as a toddler. Once his sister took something away from him and he got mad and held his breath, turned blue and passed out. It scared me too. I called 911. But, he started breathing about 45 seconds later and they didn't have to come. I took him to the doctor and he said that they will almost always start to breath again on their own and to not panic when it happens. If they know they get special attention following the episode, like giving them what they want, they will learn to hold their breath on demand. So, we just didn't make a big deal out of when it happened and it eventually stopped all together. He is now a bright, normal 6 year old. And, yes it is common and there is nothing wrong with him unless he is not starting to breath on his own after the episode. So, I think your doctor gave you good advice and try not to worry, although it is hard. Good luck to you.

Follow Ups: