Maternal Expert Forum
hyperthyroidism and breastfeeding

Patient medical question and answer from The Maternal and Child Health Forum. Health topic area and articles about newborn care

hyperthyroidism and breastfeeding

Thank you for your response to my question about the test for hyperthyroidism.  At this point, my doctor believes I need some treatment for the condition.  Are there any that are safe for my baby if I am breastfeeding?  If not, can I put off treatment for a few more months?  I am desperate to continue breastfeeding.

_
Dear Amy S.
Before I answer you, let me tell you that I'm not clear if you have HYPER or HYPO thyroidism.  Your questions have both said HYPER, but the doctor answered as if you had asked about HYPO-thyroidism.
The medication most commonly used to treat hypothyroidism is synthetic thyroid hormone, one common trade name is "synthroid". These are safe for breastfeeding moms. If it is HYPERthyroidism that you have, then the doctor will prescribe anti-thyroid drugs, most probably potassium iodide.
Iodide will pass through breastmilk and possibly affect the infant's thyroid activity. The American Academy of Pediatric recognizes this but considers the agents compatible with breastfeeding.
Your doctor can provide you with further information when he prescribes your medication.
HFHS.RN-AM
*KEYWORD: Graves disease, cretinism, thyroid disease