Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK) Community
Both MSK and POP have urinary issues

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK).

Both MSK and POP have urinary issues

Hi ChitChatNine & members of the MSK community!

I'm connecting to you from the Urogynecology Community; this is one of the new communities on Medhelp. There are a couple of symptoms that overlap between pelvic organ prolapse and MSK; I felt I should post some thoughts so if any women come into the MSK forum who think they have MSK and then find out after tests that they don’t, this is an additional path to dig into. Pelvic organ prolapse is an extremely common female health issue that most women aren't aware of until after they are diagnosed with it. The symptoms that are the same between POP and MSK are back pain, difficulty urinating, frequent urination, or urgent need to urinate. Of course this does not mean that all women with these problems have POP, but since our areas overlap I think our communities will complement each other well.

There are several symptoms in the female pelvic region that float between many health issues. The most common symptoms of POP are:

Pressure in the vagina or rectum or both
Rectal pain
Urinary incontinence
Urine retention (you have to pee, it just won't come out)
Feels like your insides are falling out (you can see a bulge of tissue at end of vagina if you look with mirror)
Pelvic or abdominal pain or discomfort
Back pain
Heaviness in pelvic region
Constipation
Fecal incontinence
Tampons "push out"
Painful intercourse
Lack of sensation during sex.

As women come into the Urogynecology forum with what seem to be MSK concerns, I'll recommend that they check out this community for support and guidance as well as help them dissect whether or not there are POP concerns. I am happy to be a member of the MSK community.

Sher
I personally am very excited about this new forum.  So many of us women with MSK also suffer from other urinary issues and the symptoms can be hard to distinguish.  Sher is putting her heart into this forum and is a wonderful addition for us here at Medhelp!

Shelly
Thanks Shelly, everyone at Medhelp has been so supportive as I find my way; it's really appreciated more than I can say!
Sher