Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK) Community
Dr. Wolf's procedure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK).

Dr. Wolf's procedure

Hi everyone!!  I just wanted to let you know that I am having Dr. Wolf's procedure done by my doctor on May 18th, nest Monday:)  Dr. Wolf is the doctor from Michigan that MSKShelly has told us about, and had surgery by him.  My doctor actually talked to him face to face about the procedure so I guess we are going to give it a go.  Please keep your fingers crossed for me that it works!

Sarah

Hi Sarah..........ooooo i've got everything crossed for you,you will let us know how it goes won't you....so I can un-cross everything again,lol....

I am so pleased for you, I really am...I sincerely hope that the procedure works and that you can get some relief....it's gonna be a good day for you, I can feel it in me water....it's also my hubby's birthday, so there you go!!

I bet you want the week to just whizz by, only 7 sleeps to go!!

Keep your chin up till then,
Take care,
love Sam x
Thanks so much Sam!!!  I really appreciate your enthusiasm:)  I'm very excited and scared at the same time.  I've been let down sooo many times with nothing that has worked; so I am hoping and praying for this procedure to work at least somewhat.  Also, scared about the horrid pain my urologist says I will have afterwards; oh well I am ready I guess, I live in pain everyday anyways:(  But thanks again!!

Sincerely,
Sarah

aawww try not to be scared of the pain...easier said than done though!!

I think we should have a MSKer mission....come on everyone have a hunt around the site for a tank of gas and air (preferably full!!!,LOL) and send it to Sarah ASAP!!

Seriously tho...I am sure you will be fine, sending you loads of no-pain positive vibes,

Take care,
love Sam x
If your surgery goes anything like mine did.  The pain isn't that bad.  I was disoriented from the stuff they used to knock me out, and the pain added to it kind of made me feel nauseas.  But it was nothing compared to the pain I felt before the surgery.  It was just a different kind.

Please be aware that this surgery does not make everything better over night.  I felt great for about 2 months, then the stones that were still in my kidneys started to come out, and BAM! It was all back.  But my last check up showed that they were slowly clearing out of my kidneys, and that I was not creating any new one (due to the Potassium Citrate).

You will be fine.  If you can handle your daily pain, the surgery pain won't bother you a bit.

Praying for you!
Becky
I hope and pray that this works well for you, Sarah.  I am so glad your doctor
talked to Dr. Wolf and is going to do it for you.  Really like Becky said the after pain
was not as bad as I expected.  They did both kidneys because we had traveled so far...
honestly the left kidney from the day of the surgery I had no pain, only now and then recently do I even get twinges.  The right one was painful but really not much worse then  the daily pain and by the 3rd day my pain level was less the post op.

I can not tell you it has taken ALL of the right kidney pain away, like Becky I still pass
stuff which is good too, but it is soo much better then it was and I have not had to be back on IV"s for infection, my kidney function has also improved 20pts.  I hope and pray you are one of the lucky ones that the pain goes away completely.

Two things you do need know going in.. for me and a few of us, I expected the surgery
to get rid off all my stones. In truth it helped my stone burden but many of our calcification are deep down in the tubes of our kidneys and can't be reached. So know this is a procedure is mainly for pain.

Secondly the average time the surgery lasts is about 2 years then it can be repeated if if it makes a significant change in your pain levels.

I am not sorry I had the surgery even though it did not do ALL  I had hoped....
I really have been so much more of my kids lives, which is good and bad LOL,
but that time is a gift that the surgery gave to me!

Keep us posted and you'll be in my thoughts and prayers!

Shelly
I also had Dr. Wolf's procedure done by my uro last fall. The pain was no worse than all the cystoscopy with laser lithotripsy that I had previously.
I had the procedure  done on my right kidney Sept. 15 and the left on Oct. 13, 2008 Within 2 weeks I was feeling so much better than before the surgery. I still had some pain until I began taking Bactrim DS daily. I go days without kidney pain now.
I hope you have a very successful outcome!
Dear sickofstones

This is fabulous news!!!!!   So glad you posted it.

Please come back as soon as you can and let us know how you are doing!

C~