Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK) Community
intrusive lithoripsy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK).

intrusive lithoripsy?

Hi all

I got rushed in to hospital a couple of weeks ago and ended up with a blockage so I had the usual stent fitted and next week I am going back in to hosp for intrusive lithotripsy where they are going to put me to sleep.

I have had lots and lots of lithotripsy over the years but they have NEVER put me to sleep before... Has anyone ever had this? Im a little nervous, notfor having it done but for how I am going to be after...

Look forward to hearing your views on this.
Sarah xx
Sarah, I have not heard of it called that before.  ???  I would ask more questions.
I wonder if it is Dr. Wolf's procedure by another name?  ASK THEM!  I tried to look it up
and didn't find much, however I THINK they are talking about using the Holmium laser
which basically blasts the stones internally, VS ESWL that uses the electrical charge from the outside.  

PLEASE keep me posted and welcome aboard!!

Shelly
Hi Shelly
Thanks for your reply. You are right... I went for m Pre Op Assessment yesterday and im having Ureterscopic Laser Lithotripsy... I have never had this before, he expained the procedure and said they flush the kidney out after...

Have you ever had this? Im expecting to be bad after but dont know?? So Im a littel nervous. I have had the soundwave lithotripsy a million times and know what to expect with that...

I am going in next Wednesday for this :(

Sarah
hi sarand, i have just had a lithotripsy last month and they put you to sleep so they can get you into the correct position and you stay there due to the fact that they used to do it in bathtubs but now use the bed with the drum looking thing.  haha i thought it was quite painful being tossed around and moved and prodded to get to the right position but i was glad to be out for it during the procedure as i get VERY nervous during all my lithotrips also . im a little confused on your question are you nervouse of the procedure in general or just about being put to sleep?  because being put to sleep is for your benefit and theirs.  Anesthesia always has its risks but it is a very light anesthesia, at least mine was and that was on jan 22 this year.  but as of now they put people to sleep regardless of the invasive lithotripsy or the one where they do it from the outside with the soundwave blaster thingie haha.  hope that was some help to you
Sarah, sorry this did not show up on my daily update so I missed your question.
Actually the procedure your having is the one Dr. Wolf recommends, it is not
the same as standard litho.  Litho or ESWL is done externally where the waves are
sent through the skin into the the kidney etc.  The Ureterscopic Laser Litho is done with a scope that enters the urethra, the Holmium laser is standardly uses and has a small laser on it, they are able to maneuver it up the ureters to the kidney.  My understanding is that a small hole is made over each collecting duct and the small calcifications pop out, however as your doctor for exact info on how he plans to use the laser.

Feel free to contact me post op etc if you need any help or reassurance!!

Shelly
I've had the laser lithrotripsy in combination with the external litho. They laser the stones to make them smaller and then retrieve them with a basket. I had this done on my right kidney to remove any stones that were reachable thru the ureter. My uro was able to retrieve eight to ten large stones this way and then he performed ESWl on the kidney to blast a larger one he couldn't reach. He did not go after any pockets or anything he couldn't reach-- no incisions. I came home with a stent which was probably the most uncomfortable and recovery wasn't too bad. I had him do this after another stone stuck after one was litho-ed. In retrospect, I think I would prefer this procedure to the ESWL even with the stent. I worry about the long term effects of the ESWL. I know i came away from it with some nerve damage along the spine. It's recovered, but it took time. There is research that links the old bathtub way with diabetes and high blood pressure, but I haven't seen any research on the long term effects of current ESWL. My gut feeling is that there will be some side effects, it just hasn't been around long enough.  Like everything, it's risk versus benefit. Good Luck!

Jodi
Hi all
thank you so much for your posts. I went in to hospital on Wednesday they decided not to give me a general anaesetic as last time my face swelled up! So I had a spinal! Oh my god I am never having that again it was horrid!

Anyway he went in to laser the stone and it has shot straight up to the top of the kidney!! So he couldn't get it. He flushed the kidney out to try and bring it back down but my stone was not budging! Typical... I am going back a week on Tuesday for regular ESWL... I will have to go back to theatre at some point as he has put a new stent in...

I am actually ok after all this the only complaint I have is my back hurts after the spinal. My only worry is what are the long term effects of Lithotripsy??? I have had this 100's of times over the years as I have nown I have had MSK since I was 3 years old and im 41 now.  I remember some years ago my Urologist saying that my left kidney (which is the worst one) was like mush at the top... I now wonder if this is after litho?

It certainly is no fun having MSK and this site is amazing where we can all get together and lean on each others shoulders.

Thank you
Sarah
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Wow, you have been through it,,, sounds similar to the Kidney stone nightmare I had in 96', the only difference being on top of everything else, they realized have way through the instruments were not sterile and the had scoped my right side-then went to get the stone on the left.   This is what has left me with a chronic uti!

Your in my thoughts and prayers...I am sorry you have gone through so much for so long.
One question I did not know to ask at the time is why they need to litho since the stone is back in the kidney, because of it's position ?

Keep us posted!

Shelly
Hi Shelly

Thanks for your reply. That sounds terrible in 96 you poor thing... Its our life in their hands!!

I was ok on my last post but unfortunately i got ill on friday with a nasty infection and ended up with the usual fever and shakes... I was luckily getting better by Sunday.  

You asked why they are doing the stone if its gon back  the kidney?  That is what they do in the UK... I think they are worried it will come back down and block my pipe again. He said it is 7mm by 10mm so that is a biggy for me.

I normally keep on top of them and see my consultant every 6 to 12 months and he scans me and if there are any he does not like he will Litho them... But he either missed this one or it grew this big since sept when I last saw him.... God if it came out whole I wouldnt know if I should weigh it or name it hehehe

I have had to return to work today in fear of losing my job... After having MSK for many years I can honestly say I have NEVER met ANYONE who understands what you are going through.  I have found it a very lonely disease... I am very grateful for this forum and you.  

Thank you
Sarah
xxx
I am going for litho. next month...I have had it in 2005. They did put me to sleep and I was fine. Did not get a stent but ths time doc wants to put in one and I do not want it!! I have passed fairly large stones on my own.  I prefer being put to sleep for as many procedures as possible   lol  :)
Lol i would prefer to be asleep also ;) I have no trouble with the stent and never feel it. It will be a few more wees yet before I have mine out.  I thin some people have felt them but I have been lucky.

Good loo with your Litho... I am going on Tuesday for mine.
Sarah
Opps that should of said Good Luck ;)
Thanks and good luck with yours!   Glad to hear that you did so well with stent..makes me feel a little better  :)