Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK) Community
multiple stones in both kidneys

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (MSK).

multiple stones in both kidneys

Hi everyone-  I was diagnosed years ago with MSK.  I have passed a few stones, had a couple of kidney infections, UTIs, etc over the years. Several years back, I had a stone stuck in my ureter.  I had it removed.  The whole procedure was a disaster.  I ended up in the hospital with an infection and my original surgeon's partner had to repeat the procedure.  I sustained nerve damage in the process to my bladder.  At the time I was told I had multiple stones, some quite large, in both kidneys.  Nothing was ever done with the stones.  Needless to say, I was not going back to this original doctor and was afraid to let anyone touch me.  So, I still have all of the stones.  Fast forward to now.  I am not feeling well.  This could be caused by many things.  I have been very weak, had very stiff muscles, joint pain, foot swelling, neuropathy, frequent urination, getting up multiple times at night to pee, fatigue, among other symptoms.  In October, I had a physical and my BUN level was high, my creatinine was at the top of what was normal.  My chloride was high.  I asked about this (my primary's office), and the nurse told me it was probably b/c I was dehydrated.  I mentioned I have a history of kidney issues and that was dismissed.  I have been having some pain off and on under my ribcage and in my back, but nothing excruciating.  My questions are: for those of you with multiple stones in your kidneys, were they normally removed or were they left alone?  mine are calcium oxolate stones.  Also, do you think I should make an appointment with a nephrologist? I have no idea what is causing my problems, obviously, but am concerned about the kidney issue.  OH, and I have been taking topamax for migranes (migraines), which I just found out I should have never, ever been prescribed, as it causes kidney stones.  Anyone with kidney problems should never take the drug.  So, now I am weaning off of that as well.  Thanks for any thoughts.  
Sorry it took me so long to answer.  Many of us have very similiar issue. The stones harbor a low level bacteria called biofilms that make us sick, sadly few doctors are taught about this. if you want send me a pm with your e-mail address I will send you some articles on the MSK pain and symptoms etc. I would encourage you to also read throught he healthpages and other posts here too!

Shelly
Hi: I' have MSK and have been dealing with the disease for the greater part of my life. I was just reading your reply to someone about having some articles on MSK pain and symtoms (symptoms) and I would be interested in reading them too, would you mind sending them to me as well. I have never met any one else with MSK or had the opportunity to discuss any treatments, complications, symtoms (symptoms) etc and would really welcome the chance to.

Karen
Hi!  I also have had MSK for years and would appreciate any & all info you might have to share.  Anything I find out, I will be happy to pass along as well.  Have had extensive bilateral stones, had surgery, had immediate hospitalization due to infection, before surgery passed & caught 22 stones, since surgery passed several but not caught, now had CAT that shows extensive bilateral stones again.  Also had continued health problems/issues/symptoms.  
Hi Shelly, I was diagnosed in 2006 with MSK - after having 11 years of frequent UTI's, 2 hospitalizations for kidney infections. I currently have 4 stones, although small - the chronic pain is unbearable. My physician tells me I should not have pain. I feel crazy, because I do. Please send me any evidence based research you have and how I can privately get you my email address- as I have reached my wits end! Thank you, MSK in Michigan
Im71 with 50 years of stones .multiple laser lithotripsy  surgeries. Passed as many as 9 at one time. Having surgery 1/21/12  fr stones stuck on both sides.