Memory Loss Community
Memory loss

Memory loss (amnesia) is unusual forgetfulness. You may not be able to remember new events, recall one or more memories of the past, or both. . The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Memory Loss patients, their loved ones, and caregivers. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Memory Loss, prognosis, research, surgery, treatments.

Memory loss

I'm very worried about my girlfriend. She occasionally forgets words (she notices this) and also mixes words up - he/she - knife/fork. I should point out that English is not her first language, but she tells me she sometimes forgets words in polish too, and she never used to do this before.

Recently she seems to forget things, like her phone or keys.

She has been to the doctor and scored perfectly on the cognitive test - Count backwards from 100 by deducting 7 - Remember these three items - What is the date? -  Those kind of things.

The doctor has ordered blood tests (Thyroid - blood count - liver function - and some others) But we haven't had the results yet.

She has recently started a new business (investing her own money) and I know that this is a stress on her. Although she never acts stressed or tells me she feels stressed.

Has anyone gone through anything similar?

Thanks,

Paul
When I'm stressed or depressed, I'll forget words or mix them up.  My sentences will be a bit jumbled.  It won't be every second of being stressed or depressed, but it does happen.  Just because someone doesn't "act stressed" doesn't mean the person isn't stressed, by the way.  So many people have a view of either, "I need to suck it up and deal with it," or that it's a weakness to display it or even that it helps them to just not deal with it that they hide it to appear normal and not stress other people out with concern for them.
Hi!

thequitegirl. You managed to say what I replied (almost) to Paul at the Alzheimer's Community, in half the words and in a straight simple fashion.
Keep it up girl! You possess something special. Really!

Paul. I'm glad you posted here also.
Taking care of the Inside of us, pays Huge dividends Inside and Outside of us!

Suggest to your girlfriend to do Meditation or to invest a few dollars and a little time in Hypnotherapy for:
1. De-stressing
2. Abundance (in anything)
3. Inner Balance.
4. Anything else

Deepak Chopra has a free 21 day meditation program starting tomorrow,
on abundance. Just go to his website. Must sign up tonight, I believe.
Cheers!
Niko
If your doctor can help you might want to think about her going to a therapist or a psychologist, stress can manifest it's self in odd ways and that might be what's happening.
Good luck.
Thank you all for your replies. I really appreciate you taking the time.

We are still waiting for the blood test results and then we will take it from there.

The brain is obviously a very complex thing. I am myself becoming anxious about what could be wrong with her.

90% of the time things are fine, its just now and again she says something that doesn't quite make sense.

Again, thank you.

Paul
Her blood tests have come back normal. We have booked another appointment to ask for a CT Scan (this was recommended by a GP friend)

Generally she seems well. Still confusing things occasionally but that is it. She is more than able to carry on with work and other day to day activities.

We will continue to look into this...
Hi Paul, it must be disturbing seeing your girl go through this.  I don't have the answer to your question but if you know there is somebody out there with the same problem, it could make you fill better, well, I occasionally forget the little things even those that I have been told _short term memory loss " well I changed my diet, I do more sports  and reduced my stress so it's better than it was. before . I used to freak out alot when I couldn't remember something that occurred a few minutes ago or what I had been sent for! Well I am alot better.  I guess the reducing stress, struggling to pay utmost attention to my surroundings, exercising& going vegetarian has helped me alot. Otherwise, I wish you the best