Men's Health Community
Help! Need to give semen sample for infertility , worried

This patient support community is for discussions relating to men's health, cancer, circumcision, erectile dysfunction (ED), hair loss, impotence, infertility, parenting, penis disorders, prostate, relationships, STD's, testicular disorders, and vasectomy.

I am worried about my husband, you see he has to go to hospital and produce a semen sample.
The problem is that no matter how long he tries for, he has never been able relieve himself, it's not something he does often either.
So what will he do? He is very stressed and the appointment is approaching.
They say it has to be done in a sterilized container they provide with and you can't use condoms as they contain spermicide.
Has anyone out there had the same problem? if so how did you overcome it?
Thank you
Hi glad2bamom,

Thank you for your response, the thing is that he can't ejaculate out in the open with or without me.
The only time he can is when we are bding it, and I don't know if thats allowed in hospital.
I mean what if we did and some of my fluid disturbed the semen sample?

Sorry, I know it's TMI but I don't know who else to ask.

Again thank you
I suppose your right, they must have had all sorts of queries.
Errmmm I feel uneasy, It's so difficult disclosing your personal info to anyone but your GP.
Anyhow I'll talk to my hubby and try and pluck up the courage to make that call. Nervous :cI

Thank you again
Hi! You can go with your husband and make it together. The problem is that semen must ejaculate direct to the plastic cup. It is very important that all the semen is collected to the sample. Only that way analysis indicate real figures. When I went to my first analysis my wife was with me and helped me. Next week I am going to my next analysis and I try to do it myself. Anyhow, to give semen sample is very embarassing to men. Even now I am very nervous!
I am quoting from "The Mother of all pregnancy books" by Ann Douglas, page 114 "Note:  Most doctors will allow the male partner to collect the sample at home - either through masturbation or by having intercourse using a special lubricant-free and spermicide-free condom..."  If true, you should be able to ask your doctor for one of those "lubricant-free and spermicide-free" condoms and be on your way!  Hope that helps...
If we were to collect the sample at home, does the semen have to be kept at a certain tempreture or deliverd within a set time?
Unsure.....
http://www.mmoninternet.com/