Men's Health Community
Ingrown Hair on Penis

A community for people with Men's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

Ingrown Hair on Penis

Hi, I developed an ingrown hair on the right side of my penis on the lowest part of right where the hair line begins. I managed to get it out (it was like 2 inches long and the sucker hurt like hell) but in the process I basically caused a sore because in my stupidity and frustration in trying to get it out I used a needle to pry it out. Yes, I know this was very very stupid to do but it had been there about 2 weeks and I had become absolutely fed up with this hair giving me problems. I have been applying bactroban after cleansing with Hibiclens and have seen some progress but nothing to my satisfaction. The location it is in has me thinking that is impeding the healing process, but I just want to be sure. I was wondering if there was anything I could use to clear this up rather quickly. It doesn't appear to be infected, the only thing that comes out is a little blood here and there. I've noticed it doesn't really "scab" over it just looks like a very small sore. I know for absolute certain that this is not any type of STD it was a massive ingrown hair. Any type of advice or information would be very very helpful.
Ouch!! How do you know for certain it's not an STD? If you were EVER sexually active, then there is a chance. If not, then your right.

Best thing to do is leave it along and keep it dry. I would go see a doctor and get it checked out.
Cool.. It does not sound like an STD. Just be careful and you can enjoy sex and not worry about STDs.

It actually just sounds like folliculitis (Glorified zit).
I've only been sexually active with one person, the one I'm with now and she's never been sexually active. We don't have intercourse either. I guess since I'm not a doctor I couldn't be 100% on this but the fact that I pulled that giant hair out of it gave me better piece of mind that it was not any type of STD. There has been no secretion of pus or anything like that. I've read up on all the STD's that my condition could be similar to and none of the symptoms match up with what I have. The sore would never have been there if my dumbass hadn't put that needle in, but that hair was driving me insane. I've had and ingrown before in that region on the left side but it wasn't anywhere close to being like this one. It healed up within a couple of days. I think I just prolonged it with that stupid needle.

If it doesn't clear up considerable by the end of the week then I'll go to my doctor, but for now I really have no concerns over an STD whatsoever. I'm really confident on that.
It sounds just like an ingrown hair to me.  I have had them before in my bikini area.  Is this in an area that your underwear rub?  If so, try wearing boxers (or go commando for a bit).

Also, I am betting the Hibiclens is actually preventing it from totally healing.  Just as Peroxide does, I believe Hibiclens does too -- it strips the skin somewhat, and actually prevents a scab from forming -- or from holding on properly.  While it is always good to initially cleans an area, it should not be over cleansed with such things when a scab is needed in order for the area to heal.  

Also, the wound needs to breath to heal.  If you are bandaging it or putting on a lot of ointment or cream, it will not heal as it should.  I would try only putting a light coat of cream or ointment on the area once or twice a day.  And make sure it gets plenty of air.  It will promote quicker healing.  

Good luck to you,

Amanda
JohnsonNY69 is ... Comment
May 24
zodiacqueen commented on photo
May 23
Piparskeggr commented on Pip sick...
May 23
Exercise Tracker
Exercise is part of a healthy lifestyle