Small lump causing me severe worry!
Hi i am always careful and perform regular exams on my testicles. I have had a small lump for quite some time, located on the back (posterior) side of left testicle, it can be slightly manipulated, moves around a region, I believe it is attached to the epididymis rather than the testicle, but resides around a particular region of the testicle. It is painless, very small, slightly soft, can be squeezed breifly. It is approximately the size of a grain of rice, if not smaller. I have a similar structure on the right side, but this feels more detached and softer. These lumps present no symptoms, move slightly, I cant find them easily, there has been no change in them since i first discovered them, many months ago, i check my testicles for size, consistency and tenderness and there have been no changes, they remain equal. Please put my mind at ease, I havn't had an examination, but my doctor and I talked about it briefly during one of my appointments (regarding another issue), he said it is likely to be a coil of the epididymis?? I don't understand how a small lump could represent a coil of tubing within the epididymis. My thoughts are that it may be an appendix of the epdidymis or a cyst? Please help me here, I'm stressing (im a health freak)
I am not a doctor, but the observations you describe sound like an epididymal cyst, which are cysts that form on the epididymus (see various med books for diagrams). They often cause no symptoms and are harmless, but I understand some can cause pain.  I am 49 now and was diagnosed with one when I was about 12 when I started to get pain. The hospital was goling to remove the cyst but pain went away later, and the waiting list those days was over a year I think and by the time I went to hospital on the day of the op (in terror of fear), they said it had gone (how relieved I was).

But, in my late teens or early twenties (so long ago now I can't remember), I noticed what you described – a movable lump. With me, I can sometimes “flick it” by gently pressing on it with the thumb (when holding the testicle in the hand, placing the thumb on the lump) and it slips away from the thumb and you see its shape as it moves from under the thumb.  I recently had an ultrasound scan which confirmed 4 cysts on one side and one cyst on the other (which I cannot feel the single one). It is easy to feel the larger cyst group – which actually just feels like one – about the size of a lentil -may be 5-6 mm dia, slightly oval, or as if on a piece of string allowing it to “float” or stray say a mm or two distance, and not rigidly stuck on the epididymus surface.  It (or the surrounding area of epididymus) has given me pain on and off for many years – pains such as occasional dull ache lasting a few minutes (then none for days, weeks or months) or sensitive testicle (relative to the other) – as if you wouldn’t want to accidentally knock it in the region of the cyst; and occasional fleeting sharp shooting pain of pulse duration less than a second  (like a lightening strike), the strikes sometimes occurring whilst in bed or on foot.

Just to be on the safe side, it would still be good to be examined by a doctor but if you do, I would try to avoid biasing the doctor say if you go and ask “is it an epididymal cyst”. Let him or her make an exam and diagnosis first so that you can be sure the doctor hasn’t been influenced by your question (and possibly focusing too soon before making a broader exam). Only after the exam and what the doctor has said, then you can ask him questions if you want further reassurance that it is not X etc.
Barb135 commented on FDA issued a warning ...
Paxiled commented on FDA issued a warning ...
addict3 commented on dominosarah's status
Exercise Tracker
Exercise is part of a healthy lifestyle