Wrinkles on top of my head
Hi I am a 21 year old male and since i was 17 I noticed that there were wrinkles or lines coming up on my head. I hadnt noticed them before or there werent as many as there are now. When i feel the top of my head its all bumpy and im worried of what this might be.
I'm 20, hispanic male. When I was 17 I took sortret (a generic type of accutane, treats acne) in the spring for less than 2 wks. In the summer I shaved my head and noticed the bumpy ridges on the top of my head. When I was on the medication my scalp became very dry and itchy so I figured that was the reason for my bumpy scalp. Since then I've grown out my hair so you cannot tell unless you feel my scalp. I've been to two doctors one a regular dr and a dermatologist and they both shrugged it off saying it was "normal". This is weird to me as I always had very short hair as a kid and early teens and never had these and there is not much explanation for why.. I have never worn braids but I have had trouble with dandruff. My father or anyone else in my family does not have this. They are not bothersome except when I press down on them now I have a headache!
It is interesting to note that for the mmost of us we discovered it around ages of 16-18 after shaving our heads...
I'm 37 years old and have been aware of the 7 ridges on the crown of my scalp for about 15 years now.  Unfortunately, as my hair has thinned, this condition is more noticeable and it takes a psychological tole on me.  I have decided that I must have surgery to attempt to rectify this problem the best I can.   I believe I have fount a hair transplant surgeon who will do a scalp reduction and then a hair transplant for me.  I'm not sure of the order he will do this; I must get back in contact with him.  I saw him 4 years ago, but it takes strength to get the will to have the surgery.  I will keep you all updated.  Thanks for listening.
My son is mildly mentally handicapped, tall, thin, white, and never used any hair products but shampoo.  He is not real active, never had braids or worn a hat.  He is 26 and had an itchy head starting at about 14 years old, so I think hormones play a part.  He is blond and I usually cut his hair an inch long in winter and shave it in summer because it is wavy and sticks up in odd ways if it gets long.  His head was itching and burning really bad so I shaved his head and this time I found he has what everyone here is reporting, thick wrinkles with a dimple exactly under his cowlick.  His scalp was red, tinder and inflamed all through his wrinkled area so I put some antifungal cream on his head and the irritation was gone the next day, his head was no longer tinder and those wrinkles went down by half.  When he showers he never dried his hair, he just lets it air dry and I thought it probably caused a fungus to grow in that warm moist environment so  I have used that cream one other time a week later and though I can still see his wrinkles they are not even 1/4 as dense as they were when first cut his hair last week.  
I don’t think it will bother him if people notice it now and if they do I am going to just tell him only people with noble blood get this and that is why you don’t see it very often, but I am one of those people that enjoys differences.
Cutis Verticis Gyrata -google the pictures. I'm a 26 year old caucasian guy. 6'0  185 lbs. I've had it since i was 18 .I've been looking this up for a long time. Hope this helps- kfavreau
Anyone with CVG suffer from a persistent scalp smell as well??
I'm starting to think this scalp wrinkle problem is caused by a fungus or some kind of bacteria.
Anyone come up with anything yet?   Anyone had a scalp reduction or scalp subcision?  THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT TO THIS PROBLEM!
After doing much research I have come across the condition. It is called Cutis Verticis Gyrata. Cutis verticis gyrata (CVG) is a descriptive term for a condition of the scalp manifesting as convoluted folds and furrows formed from thickened skin of the scalp resembling cerebriform pattern.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1113735-overview

If you look it up I am sure you will be able to do some reading on it.
has anyone tried anti-wrinkle creams or products
Yeah, noticed mine when I was like 15, got my regular cut on school break, voila! There is was lol.
Praying bout it, I might up for subcision later if I feel it's necessary, stay strong ppl.
im am 26 now and had this problem when i was 15/16 like you all i did not notice until i tried going bald. im glad now there is an actual name for this kind of stuff. the worse thing about mine it run downs my fore head. when i grow my hair it can be pain full.
I go gym 6 foot 14 stones and quiet toned and ill tell you now going gym does not work at all. just hoping for a cure for this as it is defecting my looks.
Hey friend thanks for giving very good suggestions. The tips given by you are very nice.
Thanks for the great discussion. It is really beneficial for me.
i too am female currently 44 when i was 18years old had beautiful smooth shaved head like sinead o conner's smooth bald head and was about 105- 110lbs true i have afro blood down the line approximately 1/16th don't think sex or race is factor am leaning towards the stress factor or fatty tissue before searching answers was considering the possibility of head injuries i.e. all the times i hit my head against a wall either voluntarily or by the hands of another mother was a cosmetologist so learned hair care and scalp care early on no dandruff problems unless i didn't rinse all soap out properly and not really wrinkles as much as divots and bumps on upper back of head to neck  kinda like someone grabbed my head or palmed it like a basketball and left their giant finger impressions behind recently started losing hair so rather than fighting it i tried to embrace it so shaved the back only hair had been thick and mid back length no cutting had thinned to a wisp and chin length b4 i shaved back front without cutting has become only1 1/2" long on it's own all has happened within a matter of 2-3months with no related health issues?? but in so shaving my head my old smooth head is gone this strange dimpled divot-ed cranium has appeared and stress?? don't notice it but perhaps it exists subconsciously and unbeknownst to me was diagnosed w/an aneurysm and the propensity for seizures underlying cause unknown and spinal tap and tests concluded nada so i too have become perplexed by it and medical experts have been of no use as a point of fact when my hair started coming out 2 months back and went to see professional and he shrugged it off and offered only this tidbit of advice as he uneventfully sent me on my way without explanation of or cause thereof..."just stop putting your fingers through it...."....?????AND????? what good is that gonna do? even though i stopped brushing it and washing it it is still gone and going?? so no i have no real answer just support some of the hypothesis here and wanted to add i don't believe it is a sex color race born into it caused by delivery procedures age scalp problem history or weight factor through reading all it happens at any age i noticed female and male alike black hispanic or white fat or skinny and i am guessing cranial structure has nothing to do with it now either so i too no nothing more but statistically disprove the fore mentioned factors oh yeah and i am overweight from my 18yr old weight i was highest in my life at 9mos 180lbs with my 8lbs 9oz daughter inside me and have never returned to pre birth weight of 120lbs true but at 33yrs of age when my daughter was born i had again since 18 shaved my head and was about 150lbs no bumps or divots smooth structured cranium even then but not now and though i have fluctuated up and down in the past 11 yrs  getting only as low as 130 lbs no lower since baby i am currently 145lbs so still say weight not the factoring cause or common ground so ...??? your guesses are as good as mine just more scientific data for any researchers out there trying to find the answers or underlying causes and i too am awaiting their answers lol i say for now we must just all embrace it and keep livin life in spite of our vanities  <3
perhaps they are inflammation of the cerebral cortex's areas behaving like glands in our body that swell up or inflame when we are fighting off viruses and infections but in this particular area are fighting infections which are attacking the brain and not the body? just an imaginative idea which i don't believe has yet been completely explored by scientists yet or possibly we are all overlooking possible common links we may or may not all share like one mentioned steroid usage well i don't believe unless it was hidden in some other form i have ever used but perhaps another prescription or over the counter vitamin mineral amino acid or medication we all have taken at one point or another that has yet to be undiscovered side effect that links us all as well as the unknown chemical compound we digested or were exposed too so many factors and multitude of facets yet to be explored i feel just gonna toss that out there as food for thought
i am 15 years old and i also have this problem i am african american and i notice that mine are foldes coused by sleeping on one side it is imposable not to sleep and my body will naturally sleep on the side that couse the fold i leard to forget about tham and also not to stress as much every day i see my wrinkes reduse
Someone suggested a facebook page.  I started one: https://www.facebook.com/groups/183529661715979/

God bless
I too have them, I asked my barber out of all people, and he told me it's due to having Extremely to mediocre curly hair. The Hair follicles are like a cork screw curling your skin and causing it to fold. I don't know how true that is, but it actually makes sense. It's like when you continue to turn a wet towel it starts to fold in the middle because there's no where else for it to turn, and it starts to fold on top of itself. I dunno... I don't really care, people ask me where I got them from. I just tell them it's because I have such a large brain it protrudes through my scalp LOL!
I have them too since I was 25, and I believe mine was from wearing a stocking cap to bed, and sleeping on my side.  Now I've been sleeping on my back, and now the grooves don't seem to be as deep as they were in the past  years.  I really don't know if thats the cure all, but it seems to work for me. And I use down Pillows. In the past I've used cheap hard pillows. Anyway try sleeping on your back, maybe that will work.  
Easy to fix for my young friends: try some type of oil sheen or growing grease when you brush or style your hair, don't compress it (stay away from hats, helmets, caps, du-rags, wave caps, etc.), drink lots of water (it's good for the skin anyway), have some fun (any stress reliever will work), exercise a little bit (may be a little fat). Mine seems to improve or worsen depending how well I follow my advice.

Peace
Oh, and stay away from the shampoos...just rinse hair for a long time with water
I found I had the problem when I was 14. I felt it was and still is the worse thing to ever happen to me. I was made fun of from that time til now. Of course it happened the same way as everyone else, I discovered it when I got a short cut. I was never breached birthed, nor had braid. I'm not sure what caused the wrinkles but one thing I did do is accept the fact that I had them. It was hard of course because it was ruining my social life. So I began cutting my hair to a length where they would not be seen and I forgot abou them til I got a scalp infection and it called for me to shave my head. What a feeling of shame that grew again. I don't believe there is a cure for this besides surgery. But to my younger brothers (because women hide it well) don't lose hope on your social life. Be as confident in everything you do as if you didn't have the wrinkles. Don't let a physical abnormality define who you are and what you can or can't do. I'm currently an attorney and my wife is a Victoria's Secret catalogue model. We have been together since high school. The wrinkles don't mean a thing if you don't let them. Be blessed.
I have the same problem for years and it terribly annoys me. I went to various dermatologists and they told me that they can not do anything. It's a natural phenomenon. still investigating how to get rid of wrinkles on the head. I have on one side of the head two lines and I'm afraid that does not get worse. If someone knows something let us divide. Thanks
I'm 21 now and I have had wrinkles on my head since I was 16 I didnt no what it was untill I found this site but it's so annoying that I can't have my hair really short otherwise it looks stupid lol
I have the same problem.. I first noticed them when I was about 16, had my hair braided for about a week, thought it was stupid, then cut my hair, and i noticed them. Didn't really bother me until I joined the Army in 2007 and of course got my head shaved. I got picked on so much, Ive been called everything from a ruffle chip, aerodynamic head/sonic, to a sharpey (the little wrinkle dogs) (its a good thing i dont have low self-esteem), but I would definately like to know how to get rid of them! so if and when someone finds a cure or a treatment for this, please let me know
I wonder how Shane Battier got rid of his. It's very embarrassing.
Hi there,

I am a 28 year old male. I weigh 58 KG's and height is 5.6. I have noticed llines on my head about 4 years ago. It has gotten worse. I have thick wavy hair. I shave my head and always keep my hair short. the lines have gotten worse and I am now going to grow my hair to hide it. Damn, need to find a hairstyle that suits me. I gym regularly and use supplements, protein shakes and creatine. Starting to think that this may be the cause.
I am a 33 year old woman and I noticed this condition in my late 20's. Its these folds that look like wrinkles on my scalp in the back middle part of my head. It itches on a daily basis, especially if I wear a female hair wrap and tends to be extremely sore on a daily basis. All I do to relieve it is take my hands and sort of spread it apart myself while massaging my scalp. This is not a fix but it definitely feels good for the moment. I dont know what to call it. I am African American and I love to get my hair braided at times but the end result looks horrible and not to mention the pain before and after I take them down. Although Its not, it feels like my brain is dying and Im afraid that if no one diagnosis it soon it may kill me. This is not a good feeling. Please Please post any comments that may be helpful to finding a diagnosis or even cure. Thanks to all who shared their stories. I though I was alone too.
I've noticed wrinkles on my scalp more, as I've got older. I'm 41 currently and what I believe is the cause in my case and probably in most other cases is the elasticity of our skin is much less and doesn't tighten back up the way it use to, when we were younger. The wrinkles seemed to be caused from sleeping. When you're laying down, your scalp tends to get wrinkly and as we get older, those wrinkles become more apparent and permanent.

As it has been mentioned several times, outside of plastic surgery, I don't Think there is a permanent way to fix this. I do notice however, when I wash my scalp while showering, my skin does tighten up to some degree when it dries and the wrinkles are not so noticeable. Using an astringent or something to promote skin tightening, is the only thing I could come up with to help temporarily reduce the wrinkles on my scalp.
I'm 23, 6'5", 220, athletic and African American as well. Used to buzz my head when I was growing up, then one day I had the barber cut me my usual and BOOM the wrinkles were there. They have been there ever since and I have had to get haircuts accordingly because I'm very self conscious about them. My buddies all say I look like a pug. Lately I've been starting to notice a receding hairline and the wrinkles are starting to be more noticeable. I am a business professional and knowing the wrinkles are visible to my colleagues has made me even more self conscious. If anyone ever figures out a way to reduce/cure this please contact me!
I've just turned 29 years old. Background: Mixed Race : I'm 6' 210 lbs, Ex-rugby player... I've had this problem since i was about 14-15 - In high school of course. But it wasn't too terrible as i attended an all boys school. But I'm gay. so... It was slightly awkward anyway.. Carrying on, I noticed that someone above had mentioned a particular smell or odor to the scalp - which I have also noticed as well - And i did and do wash my hair regularly. But it always seemed to be quite odd in the summer to have a raging hot scalp with insects coming to "hang out". The smell is not so apparent any longer as I've been using an all-natural psoriasis shampoo. It was never an unpleasant smell, just one that I noticed accompanied with intense heat. (I've also been avoiding Bleached flours and Heavy starches.) These scalp folds seem to be causing my hairloss (patchy growth) as well as a bit of acne/ingrown hairs - So the shampoo keeps these both in check very nicely. I really don't know what else to buy. But hell the real issue is the wrinkles i suppose. I've resorted to wearing hats for most of my life following the discovery of these wrinkles. It worked into my mid 20s-But of course, when you get an ACTUAL/REAL job, chances are you cannot wear a hat whether casual or professional (which is horribly shocking for someone who depends on one). Apparently men have to remove hats in this world. What the ****. lol.  I am very very interested in the surgery procedure and would like to know more about it if anyone cares to share any information. I need to do something about it soon, My partner doesn't mind of course, but I'm tired of people staring at me in the streets, or being paranoid of people standing behind me. OR people suggesting "Oh you should cut your hair shorter if it's thinning"... And obviously I shouldn't cut it too short because it will look as if my brain is exposed.  I've become more accustomed to having my hat off recently though as a result of my employment, but it also makes me much more aware of the issue. I think a price for the surgery would be a great place to start if anyone knows??

This is a bit of a personal story. When I was 21 I worked at Fedex in the City close by. One time, for whatever reason, I was struck by a sliding cargo door from the ceiling. It hit me in the head. MY hat fell off and i was dizzy to the point of being ill. A ton of employees came to check on me, but I was too embarrassed of the potential shock they would have of seeing my head. I simply put my hat back on and said i was ok. Mind you, when I got home i was so dizzy that i vomitted and my head had been bleeding for quite a while. This was stupid, but that was how terrified I was of my own ******* head. I've come a long way now. Still want to do something about it very soon though.

Thanks for listening/reading guys.. I'm so glad I found this page.
Signed,

E
I'm a 39 year old black male.I first noticed it in my mid 20's after cutting my hair real low.Over the years as my hair has thinned,the wrinkles show more.I would be ok shaving my head,instead of looking like bozo the clown but the wrinkles are embarassing.I have been wearing hat's to cover my head,but u can't wear a hat everywhere.I wish I could do something to have a normal round scalp.
I don't have this condition but I wanted to research it because I saw that Shane Battier has it and so does this guy at my work.  All I have to say is that even if you guys feel insecure about this you should know one thing.  Almost everyone has some kind of medical condition that they try and hide from people.  I have really bad psoriasis on my scalp and now a few random spots on my torso.  Luckily I have good insurance and can afford to get the medication but it can still be very annoying.  I say all of that to say this.  Most people are so worried about how they look when they go out they aren't even paying attention to what may or may not be wrong with you and most likely it's not the most important thing on their mind.  So next time you step out just have confidence in who you are as a person and forget about the way you look.  Have fun with life and don't sweat the small stuff.  Just remember their is always someone in the world having a worse day than you and be thankful that you're alive.  Take care you guys and if I find out anything to help with this occurrence I'll be sure to let you know.  
I noticed I got mine after I wore a wave cap all the time.B4 that I never had those brain waves on the top of my head.
I to have the same problem.I have done a bit of research my self and have come across an injection called KENOLOG.It is a steroid I believe.Injected directly into the ridges,it is ment to get rid of the ridging after a few treatments.On another forum a man said after the first injection the ridges had almost gone and that after a couple more treatments the ridging should completely go.I am going to consult my doctor and see what they think.Do your own research to.It seems like a very good option.Google KENOLOG injections for CVG.Let me know what you guys think.Cheers,I hope this helps.
I didnt find any info about KENOLOG injections for CVG so maybe you want to add a link to your source?
Im also wondering how noticeable is that scar if i decide to get scalp reduction surgery?
hey i know its been a while but have ur wrinkles compeletly gone away. i have recently lost weight too and my scalp is tightning and my wrinkles dont feel as deep but i wanna know if your wrinkles completely went away.
wow.  i didnt realize this affected so many ppl. i am 26 yrs old, African American average size, not skinny or fat.  i noticed the wrinkles in my scalp when i was about 18 yrs old when I got a low hair cut, and they literally came out of nowhere.  my sister asked me "what did you do to your head?"  at first i thought it was because i wore my durag too tight for too many years, as i wore it to keep my waves (for those who dont know what waves are they are a hairstyle some Black men have) nice.  but now i think its just a random genetic thing, although no one in my family has it.  so i had to start wearing a longer hair style so ppl wouldnt notice.  now i want to cut my hair low again and almost forgot i shouldnt do that!  based on my research, the two ways to get rid of the wrinkles are a scalp subcision or a scalp reduction.  the subcision is a lot simpler of a treatment while the reduction is pretty much surgery.  i am going to contact a dermatologist asap and see what the costs are. i recommend EVERYONE on this forum to go see a dermatologist, they can answer all your questions.  shane battier and greg oden have it.  we arent the only ones!    
I have had this symptom also since i 18 but is more noticle at age 29. I have two ridges top of head and also back of head going across. i did find this website. http://www.clinicaladvisor.com/thick-ridges-and-valleys-found-on-a-newly-shaved-scalp/article/136540/2/
I am going to let my hair grow this summer so its not noticeable but I do like having short hair. Anyone has had any surgery yet?
There is a cure for this. I have found a website where someone had scalp reduction procedure.
http://cutisverticisgyrata.org/forum/index.php/topic,5755.0.html
There are picture of before and after and there is a huge difference. There is another guy doing the procedure and will post pictures of himself.
here is the doctor who did it
http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/166257-cutis-verticis-gyrata-treated-scalp-reduction.html
I, TOO, NOTICED ABOUT A YEAR AGO THAT I HAVE LARGE (1/2) INCH WRINKLES OR WAVES ON THE SKIN OF MY SCALP AROUND THE CROWN. MY DOCTOR HAD NEVER HEARD OF IT & WAS GOING TO TAKE A HEAD XRAY BUT I HAD A MIGRAINE HEADACHE AT THE TIME & DID NOT FOLLOW-UP. I AM A 55 YOWF, SO IT DOESNT LOOK LIKE RACE OR SEX IS A DOMINANT ETIOLOGY FROM THE PREVIOUS POSTINGS.   I RUB THE AREA REGULARLY  JUST TO SEE IF IT IS GROWING IN SIZE AND IT IS.   IT REALLY ISNT PAINFUL, ONLY SLIGHTLY TOUCHING SEEMS TO IRRITATE IT AND MAKE IT FEEL BRUISED. I WONDERED IF IT IS LIKE FAT PADS, AS I HAVE GAINED A LOT OF WEIGHT OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS. (60 POUNDS IN 6 MONTHS WHILE ON A NEW MEDICATION & HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO LOSE IT DUE TO CHRONIC BACK PAIN & FIBROMYALGIA.)  I WEAR MY HAIR LONG AND IT DOESNT SHOW, BUT I JUST HOPE IT IS NOTHING SERIOUS (AS I HAVE HAD CANCER IN THE PAST).  SINCE THE MEDICAL FIELD DOES NOT HAVE ANSWERS FOR THIS ANNOYING PROBLEM, IF ANYONE ELSE DOES, PLEASE POST IT!  THANKS!
Cutis verticis gyrata.org
Try looking here - CVG. It's basically a thickening of the skin. No cure but surgery can help in extreme cases. Can be a possible link to pituitary problems and growth hormones. Also stress related, but this again involves hormone response such as cortisol so maybe there's a link?
Does anybody try to have scalp subcision here ?
its a case of bald wrinkles, my friend kyle suffers from it.
It's genetic. I know several Black men with what they call 'Prunehead". Just the way it is. A study once said it  had to do with excess pigment in the scalp and the hair conditioning that is used.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0294126009001393
I'm a 18 year old African american female who is so surprised to see so many people have this condition i have. I've had these lumps or wrinkles in my head since i was 11 or 12 years old. I also suffer from extreme hair loss in the top of my head where my wrinkles are located. when i was 16 my pediatrician prescribed some shampoo for me to try but i t did nothing. Last year i consulted a dermatologist and got prescribed this 2% topical solution and pills. The solution helped the wrinkles to not sink so deep in my head and it also helped my hair grow back to its normal state. Eventually my prescription ran out and my hair has broken off two times since then. My humps are also deep as they were before. I experience excessive itching and irritation and i am in desperate need for help
I found some information it's called Shane battier disease please look it up.
Ford60 your status can't be blank ... Comment
1 hr ago
Ford60 commented on HIV - Risks vs Non-Ri...
Nov 16
slaytheday commented on photo
Nov 16