Men's Health Community
Wrinkles on top of my head

This patient support community is for discussions relating to men's health, cancer, circumcision, erectile dysfunction (ED), hair loss, impotence, infertility, parenting, penis disorders, prostate, relationships, STD's, testicular disorders, and vasectomy.

Wrinkles on top of my head

Hi I am a 21 year old male and since i was 17 I noticed that there were wrinkles or lines coming up on my head. I hadnt noticed them before or there werent as many as there are now. When i feel the top of my head its all bumpy and im worried of what this might be.
Tags: head, Health
Did you ever get a response to this?  I've been trying to find out what it is.
Did you ever get an answer? I have the same condition. I'm a black male, 54 years old. I first noticed I had them at age 17, when I shaved my head for college football. I haven't been able to find any information related to this condition. I haven't experienced any specific problems, however the wrinkles do change with stress.

The closest thing I found on the web was lipedematous scalp, related to the subcutaneous fatty tissue of he sclap. I haven't found any pictures and research seems very limited and repetitve of limited findings.

You may have seen several actors on TV (I have only noticed it with black males) that have the same condition, perhaps not as pronouned as you and I but it's probably more common than the medical profession realizes....I think the only reason it's being recognized now is because more men are shaving their heads.

I can be reached at ***@****
if u find out anything let me know i fond it at 18 when went in to the army but mine itches
I found out about them at 17 too! I'm 31 now, so far, they (the wrinkles) just look like Garfield (the cartoon cat) stripes on my head, lol. I also did some research and came across a name: Primary Cutis Vertices Serata (whew, yeah). I'm a nurse, and I actually took care of a patient with a rare and serious form of it. His folds looked more like the grooves of a brain and (he) was prone to ingrown hairs which would often become infected. Doctor's at the UCSF he said were planning to do some drastic plastic surgery, implanting balloons underneath his scalp in the subcutaneous layer, and inflating them to stretch the skin folds out for some time, then eventually excizing the extra skin. I don't think I'd wanna mess with my scalp like that, but it would still be nice to wear a shaved head without looking like I've got garfield stripes. I was thinking, would botox work? Any takers?

J
i have the same thing, wrinkles on my head, i know others with it... shane battier nba player for instance.  i am not black but seems mostly black guys have it.  I have looke d online and found nothing??? let me knwo if you find anything.
I have that same conditon but it's on the back of my head.It's from having a buya hair style. Buya is like having long hair on top half of my head and the bottom half is buzzed really short like 1 clip size. I use to put it up in a pony tail most of the time and had it for years, so I when  finally buzzed it all off I noticed wrinkles on the back of my head and I think it's from pulling my hair too hard in a pony tail for too long.              If any body finds a way to get it out please post it online.
Were you circumcised as an infant? They do forcefully remove the foreskin from the glans (glands) and it can cause scarring.
opps wrong head :-) too funny
I also discovered I had these wrinkles when I was about 16. I'm 28 not and I have been looking for a cure for this ever since.  So far I have found out it was related to stress and you can get rid of it with acupuncture.  I haven't tried that. Also that it has to do with a dry scalp and dandruff.  I really don't know what to believe and I don't really know what to try. If anybody finds anything else about this please post. Good luck.
Hello I am a 31 year old male and have experienced this same phenomenal condition since I was about 14 years old. My wrinkles run front to back and become extremely sore at times.  I have heard that this is predominant in African Americans and I am hispanic.I have been trying to find information concerning the cause and the effects, and so far stress has been the end result, however no real description of the condition has surfaced. If anyone comes across anything please let me know.
i have had this since age 17, im 40 mow and going thin, the creases are starting to show. May try acupuncture
i discovered this condition when i was 18. i believe i share the same problems as most but what is extremely weird about mine is that where the wrinkles stand on my scalp it seems like my hair struggles to grow. my hair only grows in full and thick at the ridges of the wrinkles. this is making me extremely depressed because i worry every day if i am going bald or not. please if any1 finds a solution help out. the only person that i have noticed to fix the problem is shane battier who once suffered from it, but now seems to be gone
im 14 now and i have the same issue..it started when i was about 13 and when i had just started getting shampoos from my doctor for my dandruff and dry scalp..i am african american and eczema runs in my family and my wrinkles are so embarrising when i go to school..Lately i hhave went to the extreme to try and get them to go away i am now washing my head everyday and i am using noxzema on my scalp and i saw them decrease in size a little..i used to put hair lotions n stuff in my head but now ive stopped because i think the grease makes them bigger....PLEASE if anyone gets any info post it......and i am now going to join the search for a treament...
I to have the same problem, think the problem came from wearing a
wave cap to tight on my head.
Did any of you wear a wave cap?  
I am 20 years old an i have only just noticed that i have the same problem because i have recently shaved all me hair off. i think that it may be due 2 the fact that i had my hair braided 4 the past 6 years  and with the pull my scalpe. If any one has any information can they let me know how to treat it.
I have the same thing only mine is on the back/ top of my head. I have noticed it seems alot more common amongst black males and some hispanics and alot of them are the heavier or just bigger people of those races. Although I am a white male and 6'1'  190 pounds . So I guess race and size must not have at least too much to do with it. Strongman Gerrit Badenhorst as do alot of athletes. I think it has something to do with Hormones because I heard it can also be a side effect of steroids. Though I've never taken steroids. I used to work out alot in my teens maybe too much ive wondered. From now on I will refer to this as Strongman Syndrome. LOL. Wear your stripes with pride!
I have noticed the same thing with me I have wrinkles on my head and I am a african american but get this I am a female (and yes I was born  a woman no sex change no confusion on my sexuality I have 3 kids just so you know I am serious about this) I noticed them when I was 13 years old and I am 27 now they are just starting to bother me as they began getting sore on my 27th birthday. I do know I always have headach I dont know if that is the same for you men.
man, i hope someone can shed some light on what the issue is with this. i'm 22 years old and have had my hair short for about five years. within the past year i let my hair grow out and when i cut it short a couple months ago, these wrinkles were there. i guess the best thing for us to do is to post things we think might be the problem. if it turns out that most of us have an issue thats similar, that may very well be the problem. im a hispanic male and have had issues with dandruff. i thought it was from this shampoo i had been using recently but now i think it might be stress related. whatever the case its kinda embarrassing and i hope someone figures it out.
I have a layer of skin on the back of my head which creates a crease in the back of my head I wonder if there is a reason why this happens or what i could to do to get it removed. This layer of skin in the back of my head I really do not like and wish for it to go away. Every time I get a short hair cut it is very visible, however when i have long hair its not. Please message if you have any information about this i would really like and want to know.
Its good to kno im not the only one, i think i found a solution to the problem. i am a black male, but i dont think race has anything to do with it.  at about age 13 or 14 i began to grow my hair and when it got long enough i started getting it braided. If any of u kno anything about the braided hairstyle the hair is braided against the scalp pretty tight. i think mine were a little too tight; i continued to wear my hair braided for about a good 5 to 6 months and when i cut it there they were wrinkles in the top of my head i believe i stretched my scalp. I also had wrinkles in my forehead, I've lost some weight since then the wrinkles in my forehead are gone and my scalp is tightening and my wrinkles are slowly leaving (1). Exercize toned and tightened me up (2). I had a fat head getting active and losing weight while u still can helps.... Im 22 now about 5'11ht 166pds at age 13 and 14 i was about 5'5 about 180+ hey its working for me......Dont worry so much(prayer relieves stress) and excercise. your probably a lazy fathead like i was
i grew my hair for 5 years and when i cut it off i had these lines, they're really deep and look like my brain, it's so weird! they never used to be there, i'm really conscious of it. someone asked me if i had shaved them in as it looked like a 'cool style' like tram lines lool - i didn't know what to say!
the black guy (the dad) in 'everybody hates chris' has a wrinkly head too
A related discussion, Wrinkles in my scalp---Buzz cut looks WEIRD was started.
Its called cutis verticis gyrata
me 2 im a black male 20 of age.all my life I have had long hair in a pony tail .I recently buzed my hair n my scalp was all lumpy like my brain was showing. how can I restore the roundness of my scalp????????!!!!!!
I've had this issue for the last 7-8 years. I've done as much research as I can. I've been to see dermatologists in London and a plastic surgeon and surgery is the ONLY option.

I've read a few medical journals on the subject and if I was to have surgery, a Dr Patrick Frechet who resides in Switzerland is someone who I'd think about seeing.... Unfortunately, due to personal circumstances, I am unable to deal with this problem currently...

At the very least guys - make sure you get out there, and at least get your condition seen by a dermatologist and plastic surgeon. The more people know of the condition, perhaps the quicker a set treatment with the most optimal results can come about.
Hello, I've been dealing w/this for 'bout 20yrs now...I'm female, Latin. Been to all sorts of Dr's from general, specialist, even the alt-med...guess what...no plausible reason or cure. Only time it bothers me is when I get headaches (usually caused by stress), as soon as I massage it, it begins to lessen. It use to bother me, but now I've made peace with it. Only one Dr. gave me some sort of explanation....an old Mexican country Dr. said it was nothing to worry about, only my body's unique way of hiding fat. As long as nothing else is out of order, the ridges and valleys and grooves are ok with me! lol  Don't stress over it, and don't be ashamed.  I wear my hair long, but every chance I get I let people know I have my wrinkles! ;)
Are you guys over weight?
i have the same kind of wrinkles in the right side of my head
im a little over weight so i am trying to see if its a weight problem.
I have the same thing, didn't know what it was.  I'm white, 6'2 195lbs. Noticed it in my early 20's, I'm 30 now.  It's only on the back of my scalp, the front-top of my scalp is smooth. I have looked at the Cutis Verticis Gyrata on wikipedia. Not much help.  I use to play basketball year round in High School, had 8 percent body fat weighing 179lbs, but I've stopped since then.  I went to college, ate top ramen, mac and cheese like the fellow in the other comment.  It would be interesting to see what we all have in common besides these wrinkles.  Sorry to inform you, I didn't wear braids in my hair, and never wore hats, and used Suave shampoo growing up.  I never used any other hair products, like hair spray, or gel. I typically wait 3 months before cutting my wavy hair, then I cut it down using a #2 clip.  I tell my wife that maybe I have Autism, because that is one possible symptom of CVG.  She just laughs, and doesn't let me get away with anything.  Too bad there isn't a Facebook fan page for us people.  I'd join it.  Some say that CVG is related to brain abnormalities, and this problem isn't the same.  I don't think anyone knows anything about this to determine what it is or isn't.  You can look at google images for CVG people. Interesting.
Sou homem negro tenho 24 anos , cabeça enrrugada , tenho 185cm , 99 kg , sou forte , achei oque é http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0365-05962010000100012&lng=en&nrm=iso&tlng=pt#fig02

rio de janeiro , Brazil
A new guy here. White Male, 6'2" and 32 years old.

I just shaved my head and I too have the brainy scalp look on the mostly back upper right side of my scalp. The left side has 2 ridges but looks a whole lot better than my right side does. It is freeky looking and if anyone finds a solution let me know. Are there any pics out there?
http://dermatology.cdlib.org/94/NYU/Nov2002/9.html

The scientific term is CVG, Cutis Verticis Gyrata, and there are 2 types of conditions.

I found better info when I started referring to them as "scalp folds" instead of "scalp wrinkles".

But if you want to compare your symptoms, search the Cutis Verticis Gyrata in a search engine like yahoo, then click images at the top to see exanples.

Good Luck everyone!
I'm 36 yrs old  im a girl ive noticed more men have this problem (wrinkles on their head) Well i have this problem to; .you cant notice it at all. We have a little more advantage to this because we can hide it more. But unfortunatley im very much bothered by this at nights i massage my head  to see maybe if i do this on a regular basis it will go away but i dont think its working it just gives me a little headache. My husband shared with me that when he was in prison there was a man who had this problem and another inmate helped him get better by pulling his hair up all at once a few times. Now that i think about as im writting this down it does seem kinda funny, but my husband said it worked. The comment of that inmate was that. That other guys nerves were crumbled up cause of stress. Ill take my husbands word but im not ready for anyone to do that to me just yet. Im still looking for another solution. So let me know someone if you got the solution to un do this wrinkles.  If i was ever bald it would make me look like a wrinkly dog! (pug) . Im Latin.
My wife has wrinkles front-to-back from the middle of the top above the forehead.  I call her my KLINGON!  I think it is just genetic.
I'm 16 and I also have these wrinkles (minor/medium in severity). My older brother is 18 and he has a severe case. Even with a full head of hair you can clearly see his wrinkles. We are both African-American males.
I suppose CVG could fitting since my older brother is diagnosed with Autism and I could potentially be on the Autism Spectrum myself.
Some others have noted itching/irritation and dandruff. I'm currently having an episode right now. The dandruff is small white specs and comes and goes.
I'm about 155 and 5'8 so I'm about average though I tend to be sedentary.
these lines are from birth....

they are always caused by a breach baby status, and usually from the vacuum or more likely the forceps used to turn a baby around who is coming out the wrong direction... or needs to be adjusted in some form or fashion...

what really happens is the excitement of the new baby distracts the idiot doctor from fixing the jacked up scalp skin right away, when it is easiest to do so since the scalp on brand new babies is like Play-doh...when the scalp hardens, hair grows and parents forget....

years later, Billy shaves his head or loses his hair and "WAAALLAhh", the wrinkles show up and everyone thinks he has some disease.

I have it too.

Good Luck
Hey i have the same condition since i was about 14yrs old !!! im 20 now im fit
and Hispanic i don't know why or how to get rid of these lines on my head!!!
my question is to the older men with this condition!!! Do your kids have it to?
was it passed on or just you guys?? normally im in peace with them because
i have thick hair and i let it grow so there not noticeable but i just got a really short hair cut
N i haven't gone bak to work in 2 days cuz of it!!! Some Doctor please help!!!
I am a 36 year old, white, english male. I never had these lines from birth and have shaved my head since i was 15. Noticed these lines (about 8 of them) when I was 18 and they have got deeper and thicker since. Sometimes they itch and when I have been out drinking they can hurt the day after. I have a very irritable bowel and wonder if its connected to that.
I am a 20 year old black male with this problem. After reading all these comments, I too noticed that I was about 16 years old when my wrinkles formed on the back of my head. I've been wearing braids since I was about 12 years old so I originally thought that maybe after years of pulling & stretching my scalp with my braids, thats where my wrinkles came from but maybe I was wrong since many of you say you are not black nor do you have long hair.  I don’t think it’s hereditary b’cuz my father, older brother, & and all my other male family members don’t seem to have this problem. Also when I tried to research this I hardly found anything and I can never find any pictures. If some one finds pictures & a solution please share the info. Thnx
I am 33.  White Male.  I did not have this condition when I was younger.  I shaved my head for a wrestling tournament when I was 17 and noticed it.  I had a shaved head when I was 11 and there were no wrinkles then.  Its odd.  I am starting to thin and I would definitely like to find a remedy for this.  I wonder which would be more expensive.... Hair Club for Men or plastic surgery.  I dont want to do either one, but I also dont want to look like a bulldog on the top of my head either.  My wrinkles start at the crown of my head and go to the front.  I have four distinct wrinkles/lines.  Maybe we are all smart people.  :) I am a teacher.  I did have dandruff fairly bad before realizing I had this condition.  I had no dandruff before I noticed it.  I used some type of T-Gel.  It was a dark brown color and had an unusual smell.  Not a pleasant smell.  I'm not convinced that caused it.  To the guy who said it was caused by being breach at birth.... that may be the case for you, not for me.  I wish you all luck.  Keep posting.  Maybe we can find out more about this.
I am a 22 year old male, I had trauma to the left side of my cranium when I was 9 and when I was 15 to 17 I had cornrows that were usually tight and when I shaved my head at 17 I noticed folds of skin on my scalp. At the time I didn't know what it was but it was very odd looking and embarrassing. I am currently a Massage Therapist  and I learned a lot about the human body in sickness health, growth and development and structure of anatomy. I became very skillful with Othopedic Modalities that involved treating structural imbalances. for two weeks now I have been treating this condition on my own and successfully although it it extremely painful and time consuming. I use moist heat directly to my scalp to loosen the Epicranial Aponeurosis ( A.K.A, Galea Aponeurotica) and then I use my fist and wall to find the tender points to break up the scar tissue. This is extremely painful but effective. There are no other known treatments for manipulation out there, so far I've only seen surgical intervention. My lympatic flow has open more and my pores on my face also. I have suffered from migraine headaches, acne vulgaris and poor hearing in my left ear that is improving.
i have them also... maybe its from wearing glasses for a long time?
Im 25, 175 pounds 6'4" hispanic man...I noticed about the condition like 2 years ago...I used to have an afro and the braid for less than a year a really tight...When I cut my hair I discovered this...I have use protein products to work out, have had problems with dandruf and used to wash my head like once a week (poor habit)..I have like 5 lines but they are side to side...When I cut my hair it's really notorious after the next two weeks but then not so much....I think scupl reduction (surgerical process) seems the most effectice cure
Im 24 years old and i noticed my wrinkles when i was about 19. Ive always had short hair but very thick hair (my barber made sure to remind me about that ever time i went in). I hated how i couldn't do much with it when i put gel so then i started using hair nets to flatten my hair in hopes of getting it to be more manageable. It worked out and i let my hair grow a little bigger so i would be able to style it even further. When i turned 19 i got lazy and decided to go back to my short hair but when i got my first haircut i noticed some small wrinkles on my scalp i don't know how they got there but i fear it might have something to do with the hair net. That's just what i think though i haven't found anything online to support it but i have also noticed that black people seem to have this condition more than others. They braid their hair so it got me thinking if my hairnet might have been pulling on my hair and scalp as their braid did to there's. But im 24 now and haven't found any health problems linked to my wrinkles besides feeling embarrassed with short hair because i feel like everyone's looking at them. My girlfreind tells me she cant see anything but since i know there there i just get a taper with a 5 on top that keeps them out of sight. I still use the hair net never the less because i figure the damage is done and i like my hair better when its flattened.I would still like a cure for them but them but for the mean time i wont let it ruin my life i had totally forgot about them till i saw them on some guy at the mall.
Cutis verticis gyrata (CVG) is a superficial medical condition usually associated with thickening of the scalp.

CVG is classified according to the presence, or lack of, underlying cause. Many studies seem to show that CVG occurs in individuals in a secondary form to other ailments. However, the condition can also be present on its own.
The classifications are:
Primary
Primary essential
Primary non essential
Secondary
Primary CVG is where the cause of the condition in unknown.
Primary essential CVG has no other associated abnormalities. This occurs mainly in men, with a male:female ratio of 5 or 6:1, and develops during or soon after puberty. Because of the slow progression of the condition, which usually occurs without symptom, it often passes unnoticed in the early stage [4]
Primary non essential CVG can be associated with neuropsychiatric disorders including cerebral palsy, epilepsy, seizures and ophthalmologic abnormalities, most commonly cataracts.
Secondary CVG occurs as a consequence of a number of diseases that produce changes in scalp structure. (These conditions include: Acromegaly (excessive growth hormone, due to pituitary gland tumour),Melanocytic naevi (moles), Birthmarks (including Connective tissue naevi, fibromas and naevus lipomatosus), Inflammatory processes (e.g., eczema, psoriasis, Darier disease, folliculitis, impetigo, atopic dermatitis, acne).

There is no cure for this condition and currently, medical treatment is limited to plastic surgery with excision of the folds by means of scalp reduction and more recently scalp subcision
we need to find out what the basketball player shane battier did to get ride of his wrinkles
i think we should look into how shane battier got rid of the bumbs and lines on his head. im guessing he got plastic surgery done. i also want to ask if any1 thought about having accupunture done on their scalp to c if it helps the swelling of the ridges go down. please lets try to find out a solution/cure to this horrible problem we all share. lets work together because these bumbs are causing depression in my life n i know i am not alone.
I'm 17 years old and I have the same conditions as all of you. I've noticed that I had these wrinkles on my head when I was about 14. I asked my father about at that time and he told me it perfectly normal so I didn't think anything else of it. Then years start going by and I noticed that, when I go in public, no one else had what I had. I felt like some alien. I really would like some kind of treatment because right now I'm in high school and I only cut my hair during christmas breaks, spring breaks, etc. because I don't want no one to stare at me or talk about me behind my back (it happened before). I rock small afros most of the time. My dad has the exact same thing so I'm assuming It's genetic. I'm just so grateful I found this thread because I honestly thought I was alone on this. I currently weigh 240 and I'm 6'4. I gonna try to lose weight to reduce these wrinkles. If that doesn't work I'm gonna try that scalp submission.
I'm 20, hispanic male. When I was 17 I took sortret (a generic type of accutane, treats acne) in the spring for less than 2 wks. In the summer I shaved my head and noticed the bumpy ridges on the top of my head. When I was on the medication my scalp became very dry and itchy so I figured that was the reason for my bumpy scalp. Since then I've grown out my hair so you cannot tell unless you feel my scalp. I've been to two doctors one a regular dr and a dermatologist and they both shrugged it off saying it was "normal". This is weird to me as I always had very short hair as a kid and early teens and never had these and there is not much explanation for why.. I have never worn braids but I have had trouble with dandruff. My father or anyone else in my family does not have this. They are not bothersome except when I press down on them now I have a headache!
It is interesting to note that for the mmost of us we discovered it around ages of 16-18 after shaving our heads...
I'm 37 years old and have been aware of the 7 ridges on the crown of my scalp for about 15 years now.  Unfortunately, as my hair has thinned, this condition is more noticeable and it takes a psychological tole on me.  I have decided that I must have surgery to attempt to rectify this problem the best I can.   I believe I have fount a hair transplant surgeon who will do a scalp reduction and then a hair transplant for me.  I'm not sure of the order he will do this; I must get back in contact with him.  I saw him 4 years ago, but it takes strength to get the will to have the surgery.  I will keep you all updated.  Thanks for listening.
My son is mildly mentally handicapped, tall, thin, white, and never used any hair products but shampoo.  He is not real active, never had braids or worn a hat.  He is 26 and had an itchy head starting at about 14 years old, so I think hormones play a part.  He is blond and I usually cut his hair an inch long in winter and shave it in summer because it is wavy and sticks up in odd ways if it gets long.  His head was itching and burning really bad so I shaved his head and this time I found he has what everyone here is reporting, thick wrinkles with a dimple exactly under his cowlick.  His scalp was red, tinder and inflamed all through his wrinkled area so I put some antifungal cream on his head and the irritation was gone the next day, his head was no longer tinder and those wrinkles went down by half.  When he showers he never dried his hair, he just lets it air dry and I thought it probably caused a fungus to grow in that warm moist environment so  I have used that cream one other time a week later and though I can still see his wrinkles they are not even 1/4 as dense as they were when first cut his hair last week.  
I don’t think it will bother him if people notice it now and if they do I am going to just tell him only people with noble blood get this and that is why you don’t see it very often, but I am one of those people that enjoys differences.
Cutis Verticis Gyrata -google the pictures. I'm a 26 year old caucasian guy. 6'0  185 lbs. I've had it since i was 18 .I've been looking this up for a long time. Hope this helps- kfavreau
Anyone with CVG suffer from a persistent scalp smell as well??
I'm starting to think this scalp wrinkle problem is caused by a fungus or some kind of bacteria.
Anyone come up with anything yet?   Anyone had a scalp reduction or scalp subcision?  THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT TO THIS PROBLEM!
After doing much research I have come across the condition. It is called Cutis Verticis Gyrata. Cutis verticis gyrata (CVG) is a descriptive term for a condition of the scalp manifesting as convoluted folds and furrows formed from thickened skin of the scalp resembling cerebriform pattern.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1113735-overview

If you look it up I am sure you will be able to do some reading on it.
has anyone tried anti-wrinkle creams or products
Yeah, noticed mine when I was like 15, got my regular cut on school break, voila! There is was lol.
Praying bout it, I might up for subcision later if I feel it's necessary, stay strong ppl.
im am 26 now and had this problem when i was 15/16 like you all i did not notice until i tried going bald. im glad now there is an actual name for this kind of stuff. the worse thing about mine it run downs my fore head. when i grow my hair it can be pain full.
I go gym 6 foot 14 stones and quiet toned and ill tell you now going gym does not work at all. just hoping for a cure for this as it is defecting my looks.
Hey friend thanks for giving very good suggestions. The tips given by you are very nice.
Thanks for the great discussion. It is really beneficial for me.
i too am female currently 44 when i was 18years old had beautiful smooth shaved head like sinead o conner's smooth bald head and was about 105- 110lbs true i have afro blood down the line approximately 1/16th don't think sex or race is factor am leaning towards the stress factor or fatty tissue before searching answers was considering the possibility of head injuries i.e. all the times i hit my head against a wall either voluntarily or by the hands of another mother was a cosmetologist so learned hair care and scalp care early on no dandruff problems unless i didn't rinse all soap out properly and not really wrinkles as much as divots and bumps on upper back of head to neck  kinda like someone grabbed my head or palmed it like a basketball and left their giant finger impressions behind recently started losing hair so rather than fighting it i tried to embrace it so shaved the back only hair had been thick and mid back length no cutting had thinned to a wisp and chin length b4 i shaved back front without cutting has become only1 1/2" long on it's own all has happened within a matter of 2-3months with no related health issues?? but in so shaving my head my old smooth head is gone this strange dimpled divot-ed cranium has appeared and stress?? don't notice it but perhaps it exists subconsciously and unbeknownst to me was diagnosed w/an aneurysm and the propensity for seizures underlying cause unknown and spinal tap and tests concluded nada so i too have become perplexed by it and medical experts have been of no use as a point of fact when my hair started coming out 2 months back and went to see professional and he shrugged it off and offered only this tidbit of advice as he uneventfully sent me on my way without explanation of or cause thereof..."just stop putting your fingers through it...."....?????AND????? what good is that gonna do? even though i stopped brushing it and washing it it is still gone and going?? so no i have no real answer just support some of the hypothesis here and wanted to add i don't believe it is a sex color race born into it caused by delivery procedures age scalp problem history or weight factor through reading all it happens at any age i noticed female and male alike black hispanic or white fat or skinny and i am guessing cranial structure has nothing to do with it now either so i too no nothing more but statistically disprove the fore mentioned factors oh yeah and i am overweight from my 18yr old weight i was highest in my life at 9mos 180lbs with my 8lbs 9oz daughter inside me and have never returned to pre birth weight of 120lbs true but at 33yrs of age when my daughter was born i had again since 18 shaved my head and was about 150lbs no bumps or divots smooth structured cranium even then but not now and though i have fluctuated up and down in the past 11 yrs  getting only as low as 130 lbs no lower since baby i am currently 145lbs so still say weight not the factoring cause or common ground so ...??? your guesses are as good as mine just more scientific data for any researchers out there trying to find the answers or underlying causes and i too am awaiting their answers lol i say for now we must just all embrace it and keep livin life in spite of our vanities  <3
perhaps they are inflammation of the cerebral cortex's areas behaving like glands in our body that swell up or inflame when we are fighting off viruses and infections but in this particular area are fighting infections which are attacking the brain and not the body? just an imaginative idea which i don't believe has yet been completely explored by scientists yet or possibly we are all overlooking possible common links we may or may not all share like one mentioned steroid usage well i don't believe unless it was hidden in some other form i have ever used but perhaps another prescription or over the counter vitamin mineral amino acid or medication we all have taken at one point or another that has yet to be undiscovered side effect that links us all as well as the unknown chemical compound we digested or were exposed too so many factors and multitude of facets yet to be explored i feel just gonna toss that out there as food for thought
i am 15 years old and i also have this problem i am african american and i notice that mine are foldes coused by sleeping on one side it is imposable not to sleep and my body will naturally sleep on the side that couse the fold i leard to forget about tham and also not to stress as much every day i see my wrinkes reduse
Someone suggested a facebook page.  I started one: https://www.facebook.com/groups/183529661715979/

God bless
I too have them, I asked my barber out of all people, and he told me it's due to having Extremely to mediocre curly hair. The Hair follicles are like a cork screw curling your skin and causing it to fold. I don't know how true that is, but it actually makes sense. It's like when you continue to turn a wet towel it starts to fold in the middle because there's no where else for it to turn, and it starts to fold on top of itself. I dunno... I don't really care, people ask me where I got them from. I just tell them it's because I have such a large brain it protrudes through my scalp LOL!
I have them too since I was 25, and I believe mine was from wearing a stocking cap to bed, and sleeping on my side.  Now I've been sleeping on my back, and now the grooves don't seem to be as deep as they were in the past  years.  I really don't know if thats the cure all, but it seems to work for me. And I use down Pillows. In the past I've used cheap hard pillows. Anyway try sleeping on your back, maybe that will work.  
Easy to fix for my young friends: try some type of oil sheen or growing grease when you brush or style your hair, don't compress it (stay away from hats, helmets, caps, du-rags, wave caps, etc.), drink lots of water (it's good for the skin anyway), have some fun (any stress reliever will work), exercise a little bit (may be a little fat). Mine seems to improve or worsen depending how well I follow my advice.

Peace
Oh, and stay away from the shampoos...just rinse hair for a long time with water
I found I had the problem when I was 14. I felt it was and still is the worse thing to ever happen to me. I was made fun of from that time til now. Of course it happened the same way as everyone else, I discovered it when I got a short cut. I was never breached birthed, nor had braid. I'm not sure what caused the wrinkles but one thing I did do is accept the fact that I had them. It was hard of course because it was ruining my social life. So I began cutting my hair to a length where they would not be seen and I forgot abou them til I got a scalp infection and it called for me to shave my head. What a feeling of shame that grew again. I don't believe there is a cure for this besides surgery. But to my younger brothers (because women hide it well) don't lose hope on your social life. Be as confident in everything you do as if you didn't have the wrinkles. Don't let a physical abnormality define who you are and what you can or can't do. I'm currently an attorney and my wife is a Victoria's Secret catalogue model. We have been together since high school. The wrinkles don't mean a thing if you don't let them. Be blessed.
I have the same problem for years and it terribly annoys me. I went to various dermatologists and they told me that they can not do anything. It's a natural phenomenon. still investigating how to get rid of wrinkles on the head. I have on one side of the head two lines and I'm afraid that does not get worse. If someone knows something let us divide. Thanks
I'm 21 now and I have had wrinkles on my head since I was 16 I didnt no what it was untill I found this site but it's so annoying that I can't have my hair really short otherwise it looks stupid lol
I have the same problem.. I first noticed them when I was about 16, had my hair braided for about a week, thought it was stupid, then cut my hair, and i noticed them. Didn't really bother me until I joined the Army in 2007 and of course got my head shaved. I got picked on so much, Ive been called everything from a ruffle chip, aerodynamic head/sonic, to a sharpey (the little wrinkle dogs) (its a good thing i dont have low self-esteem), but I would definately like to know how to get rid of them! so if and when someone finds a cure or a treatment for this, please let me know
I wonder how Shane Battier got rid of his. It's very embarrassing.
Hi there,

I am a 28 year old male. I weigh 58 KG's and height is 5.6. I have noticed llines on my head about 4 years ago. It has gotten worse. I have thick wavy hair. I shave my head and always keep my hair short. the lines have gotten worse and I am now going to grow my hair to hide it. Damn, need to find a hairstyle that suits me. I gym regularly and use supplements, protein shakes and creatine. Starting to think that this may be the cause.
I am a 33 year old woman and I noticed this condition in my late 20's. Its these folds that look like wrinkles on my scalp in the back middle part of my head. It itches on a daily basis, especially if I wear a female hair wrap and tends to be extremely sore on a daily basis. All I do to relieve it is take my hands and sort of spread it apart myself while massaging my scalp. This is not a fix but it definitely feels good for the moment. I dont know what to call it. I am African American and I love to get my hair braided at times but the end result looks horrible and not to mention the pain before and after I take them down. Although Its not, it feels like my brain is dying and Im afraid that if no one diagnosis it soon it may kill me. This is not a good feeling. Please Please post any comments that may be helpful to finding a diagnosis or even cure. Thanks to all who shared their stories. I though I was alone too.
I've noticed wrinkles on my scalp more, as I've got older. I'm 41 currently and what I believe is the cause in my case and probably in most other cases is the elasticity of our skin is much less and doesn't tighten back up the way it use to, when we were younger. The wrinkles seemed to be caused from sleeping. When you're laying down, your scalp tends to get wrinkly and as we get older, those wrinkles become more apparent and permanent.

As it has been mentioned several times, outside of plastic surgery, I don't Think there is a permanent way to fix this. I do notice however, when I wash my scalp while showering, my skin does tighten up to some degree when it dries and the wrinkles are not so noticeable. Using an astringent or something to promote skin tightening, is the only thing I could come up with to help temporarily reduce the wrinkles on my scalp.
I'm 23, 6'5", 220, athletic and African American as well. Used to buzz my head when I was growing up, then one day I had the barber cut me my usual and BOOM the wrinkles were there. They have been there ever since and I have had to get haircuts accordingly because I'm very self conscious about them. My buddies all say I look like a pug. Lately I've been starting to notice a receding hairline and the wrinkles are starting to be more noticeable. I am a business professional and knowing the wrinkles are visible to my colleagues has made me even more self conscious. If anyone ever figures out a way to reduce/cure this please contact me!
I've just turned 29 years old. Background: Mixed Race : I'm 6' 210 lbs, Ex-rugby player... I've had this problem since i was about 14-15 - In high school of course. But it wasn't too terrible as i attended an all boys school. But I'm gay. so... It was slightly awkward anyway.. Carrying on, I noticed that someone above had mentioned a particular smell or odor to the scalp - which I have also noticed as well - And i did and do wash my hair regularly. But it always seemed to be quite odd in the summer to have a raging hot scalp with insects coming to "hang out". The smell is not so apparent any longer as I've been using an all-natural psoriasis shampoo. It was never an unpleasant smell, just one that I noticed accompanied with intense heat. (I've also been avoiding Bleached flours and Heavy starches.) These scalp folds seem to be causing my hairloss (patchy growth) as well as a bit of acne/ingrown hairs - So the shampoo keeps these both in check very nicely. I really don't know what else to buy. But hell the real issue is the wrinkles i suppose. I've resorted to wearing hats for most of my life following the discovery of these wrinkles. It worked into my mid 20s-But of course, when you get an ACTUAL/REAL job, chances are you cannot wear a hat whether casual or professional (which is horribly shocking for someone who depends on one). Apparently men have to remove hats in this world. What the ****. lol.  I am very very interested in the surgery procedure and would like to know more about it if anyone cares to share any information. I need to do something about it soon, My partner doesn't mind of course, but I'm tired of people staring at me in the streets, or being paranoid of people standing behind me. OR people suggesting "Oh you should cut your hair shorter if it's thinning"... And obviously I shouldn't cut it too short because it will look as if my brain is exposed.  I've become more accustomed to having my hat off recently though as a result of my employment, but it also makes me much more aware of the issue. I think a price for the surgery would be a great place to start if anyone knows??

This is a bit of a personal story. When I was 21 I worked at Fedex in the City close by. One time, for whatever reason, I was struck by a sliding cargo door from the ceiling. It hit me in the head. MY hat fell off and i was dizzy to the point of being ill. A ton of employees came to check on me, but I was too embarrassed of the potential shock they would have of seeing my head. I simply put my hat back on and said i was ok. Mind you, when I got home i was so dizzy that i vomitted and my head had been bleeding for quite a while. This was stupid, but that was how terrified I was of my own ******* head. I've come a long way now. Still want to do something about it very soon though.

Thanks for listening/reading guys.. I'm so glad I found this page.
Signed,

E
I'm a 39 year old black male.I first noticed it in my mid 20's after cutting my hair real low.Over the years as my hair has thinned,the wrinkles show more.I would be ok shaving my head,instead of looking like bozo the clown but the wrinkles are embarassing.I have been wearing hat's to cover my head,but u can't wear a hat everywhere.I wish I could do something to have a normal round scalp.
I don't have this condition but I wanted to research it because I saw that Shane Battier has it and so does this guy at my work.  All I have to say is that even if you guys feel insecure about this you should know one thing.  Almost everyone has some kind of medical condition that they try and hide from people.  I have really bad psoriasis on my scalp and now a few random spots on my torso.  Luckily I have good insurance and can afford to get the medication but it can still be very annoying.  I say all of that to say this.  Most people are so worried about how they look when they go out they aren't even paying attention to what may or may not be wrong with you and most likely it's not the most important thing on their mind.  So next time you step out just have confidence in who you are as a person and forget about the way you look.  Have fun with life and don't sweat the small stuff.  Just remember their is always someone in the world having a worse day than you and be thankful that you're alive.  Take care you guys and if I find out anything to help with this occurrence I'll be sure to let you know.  
I noticed I got mine after I wore a wave cap all the time.B4 that I never had those brain waves on the top of my head.
I to have the same problem.I have done a bit of research my self and have come across an injection called KENOLOG.It is a steroid I believe.Injected directly into the ridges,it is ment to get rid of the ridging after a few treatments.On another forum a man said after the first injection the ridges had almost gone and that after a couple more treatments the ridging should completely go.I am going to consult my doctor and see what they think.Do your own research to.It seems like a very good option.Google KENOLOG injections for CVG.Let me know what you guys think.Cheers,I hope this helps.
I didnt find any info about KENOLOG injections for CVG so maybe you want to add a link to your source?
Im also wondering how noticeable is that scar if i decide to get scalp reduction surgery?
hey i know its been a while but have ur wrinkles compeletly gone away. i have recently lost weight too and my scalp is tightning and my wrinkles dont feel as deep but i wanna know if your wrinkles completely went away.
wow.  i didnt realize this affected so many ppl. i am 26 yrs old, African American average size, not skinny or fat.  i noticed the wrinkles in my scalp when i was about 18 yrs old when I got a low hair cut, and they literally came out of nowhere.  my sister asked me "what did you do to your head?"  at first i thought it was because i wore my durag too tight for too many years, as i wore it to keep my waves (for those who dont know what waves are they are a hairstyle some Black men have) nice.  but now i think its just a random genetic thing, although no one in my family has it.  so i had to start wearing a longer hair style so ppl wouldnt notice.  now i want to cut my hair low again and almost forgot i shouldnt do that!  based on my research, the two ways to get rid of the wrinkles are a scalp subcision or a scalp reduction.  the subcision is a lot simpler of a treatment while the reduction is pretty much surgery.  i am going to contact a dermatologist asap and see what the costs are. i recommend EVERYONE on this forum to go see a dermatologist, they can answer all your questions.  shane battier and greg oden have it.  we arent the only ones!    
I have had this symptom also since i 18 but is more noticle at age 29. I have two ridges top of head and also back of head going across. i did find this website. http://www.clinicaladvisor.com/thick-ridges-and-valleys-found-on-a-newly-shaved-scalp/article/136540/2/
I am going to let my hair grow this summer so its not noticeable but I do like having short hair. Anyone has had any surgery yet?
There is a cure for this. I have found a website where someone had scalp reduction procedure.
http://cutisverticisgyrata.org/forum/index.php/topic,5755.0.html
There are picture of before and after and there is a huge difference. There is another guy doing the procedure and will post pictures of himself.
here is the doctor who did it
http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/eve/166257-cutis-verticis-gyrata-treated-scalp-reduction.html
I, TOO, NOTICED ABOUT A YEAR AGO THAT I HAVE LARGE (1/2) INCH WRINKLES OR WAVES ON THE SKIN OF MY SCALP AROUND THE CROWN. MY DOCTOR HAD NEVER HEARD OF IT & WAS GOING TO TAKE A HEAD XRAY BUT I HAD A MIGRAINE HEADACHE AT THE TIME & DID NOT FOLLOW-UP. I AM A 55 YOWF, SO IT DOESNT LOOK LIKE RACE OR SEX IS A DOMINANT ETIOLOGY FROM THE PREVIOUS POSTINGS.   I RUB THE AREA REGULARLY  JUST TO SEE IF IT IS GROWING IN SIZE AND IT IS.   IT REALLY ISNT PAINFUL, ONLY SLIGHTLY TOUCHING SEEMS TO IRRITATE IT AND MAKE IT FEEL BRUISED. I WONDERED IF IT IS LIKE FAT PADS, AS I HAVE GAINED A LOT OF WEIGHT OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS. (60 POUNDS IN 6 MONTHS WHILE ON A NEW MEDICATION & HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO LOSE IT DUE TO CHRONIC BACK PAIN & FIBROMYALGIA.)  I WEAR MY HAIR LONG AND IT DOESNT SHOW, BUT I JUST HOPE IT IS NOTHING SERIOUS (AS I HAVE HAD CANCER IN THE PAST).  SINCE THE MEDICAL FIELD DOES NOT HAVE ANSWERS FOR THIS ANNOYING PROBLEM, IF ANYONE ELSE DOES, PLEASE POST IT!  THANKS!
Cutis verticis gyrata.org
Try looking here - CVG. It's basically a thickening of the skin. No cure but surgery can help in extreme cases. Can be a possible link to pituitary problems and growth hormones. Also stress related, but this again involves hormone response such as cortisol so maybe there's a link?
Does anybody try to have scalp subcision here ?
its a case of bald wrinkles, my friend kyle suffers from it.
It's genetic. I know several Black men with what they call 'Prunehead". Just the way it is. A study once said it  had to do with excess pigment in the scalp and the hair conditioning that is used.
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0294126009001393
I'm a 18 year old African american female who is so surprised to see so many people have this condition i have. I've had these lumps or wrinkles in my head since i was 11 or 12 years old. I also suffer from extreme hair loss in the top of my head where my wrinkles are located. when i was 16 my pediatrician prescribed some shampoo for me to try but i t did nothing. Last year i consulted a dermatologist and got prescribed this 2% topical solution and pills. The solution helped the wrinkles to not sink so deep in my head and it also helped my hair grow back to its normal state. Eventually my prescription ran out and my hair has broken off two times since then. My humps are also deep as they were before. I experience excessive itching and irritation and i am in desperate need for help
I found some information it's called Shane battier disease please look it up.