Men's Health Community
enlarged prostate treatment

This patient support community is for discussions relating to men's health, cancer, circumcision, erectile dysfunction (ED), hair loss, impotence, infertility, parenting, penis disorders, prostate, relationships, STD's, testicular disorders, and vasectomy.

enlarged prostate treatment

My urologist wants me to take Rapaflo and Avodart for enlarged prostate for six weeks before I have a microwave procedure to reduce the size of my prostate. He says the procedure will be more effective from taking these medications.
My questions are:
Will the side effects from Avodart stop after I discontinue the medication? And do you think it is really necessary to take the Avodart before the procedure?
1 Comment
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Medication side effect usually resolve after discontinuation of the  drug and elimination from the body. Avodart or dutasteride  is used to treat benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) in men with an enlarged prostate. It helps improve urinary flow and may also reduce the need for prostate surgery later on( ref: http://www.drugs.com/avodart.html). It is best that you discuss this with your doctor for proper evaluation. Your doctor  may perform tests also prior to intake to make sure you do not have other conditions that would prevent you from safely using this medine.  Take care and best regards.