Men's Health Community
is orange juice good??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to men's health, cancer, circumcision, erectile dysfunction (ED), hair loss, impotence, infertility, parenting, penis disorders, prostate, relationships, STD's, testicular disorders, and vasectomy.

is orange juice good??

hi,i have been drinking a litre of orange juice a day for about two months now.i wanted to know if drinking this much is ok for my body in the short & long run?Recently i seem to be getting nose bleeds quite easily, is this because of the amount of orange juice i consume??
Tags: Health, Babies
orange juice has alot of acid, pineapple is better for you !
I was told recently by an MD doctor that orange juice is really just sweetened water.  I have always drank about 4 oz.of minute maid each morning and given it to all my babies.  This statement that it is sweetened water concerns me.  I only want to know if orange juice is good for us or not.  Thank you very much.  agvm
I think your doctor is probably just referring to its high sugar content. Orange juice is a healthy drink. It does not have any fat soluble vitamins, so you cannot overdose on it. On the other hand, you can overdose on vitamins A, E, and K if you drink (a hell of alot) pineapple juice.

The big reason that orange juice is healthy is its vitamin C content. An average glass contains 120% of your daily needs; that means that in a liter you're consuming 5 times as much vitamin C as you need in a day! (That's a good thing). You can't overdose on vitamin C -- any extra that you have appears in your urine. It also contains Thiamin, Calcium, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Folic Acid, and Magnesium. Also, the major fat burner/muscle builder, protein. Without protein, your body just doesn't work. Best of all, orange juice (if it's REAL OJ) contains no fat, and all the sugar is natural.

So, orange juice should be good for you... but make sure to eat other stuff too.

Actually, I forgot. A typical glass of orange juice also contains 14% of your daily Potassium. I'm not sure, but I think you can overdose on potassium if you have more than... like... 300%. So try not to drink 25 glasses. :)
lostinquestions is absolutely right... I don't feel right unless I have a good glass of OJ to start me up, and it is super-healthy.

And as to OJ being mere sweetened water: I'd imagine it depends on which brand you are drinking.  I drink Tropicana, and you can tell that it's made from real oranges just from how it tastes.  It's good stuff, but more expensive than other brands.  Oasis, on the other hand, literally does taste like sweetened water.  But of course Tropicana's real sugary, too.  Maybe just skip this OJ business and eat a few oranges or tangerines?