Migraines & Headaches Community
Another over draining shunt query

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Another over draining shunt query

Hi, I had an aggressive craniotomy (my 4th) in 2006 for recurrent brain tumours and the surgeon's aggressiveness left me with hydrocephalus which resulted in emergency surgery to install a VP shunt.

I haven't ever had a shunt specialist check the shunt and it has been over shunting for many years now causing slit ventricle syndrome.

The past few years I have barely had any energy at all. I just want to sleep all day and do nothing. My MRI shows that I still have several residual neurocytoma tumours (they are considered benign).

The shunt has one of those delta valves. I believe they were recalled at one stage and I wonder if it's a faulty shunt valve and that's why I feel so awful?

I am 37 years old and have a very active 5 year old. I just can't keep going on like this.

Are there any specific shunt investigations one can do?

My neuro doesn't like shunts and basically told off the intern who performed the emergency shunt surgery when I was almost in a coma!!

Is there any scanning device that can look at the whole shunt in detail to see if any of it has broken?

Looking forward to your responses.
Hi!
Shunt malfunction can be diagnosed by your symptoms such as headaches, vomiting, lethargy, etc.  A MRI helps detect the position of the shunt, size of ventricles, and condition of brain.
A shunt tap is done to test the fluid for infection and pressure. If there is over pressure, then the valve can be removed and new valve adjusted. Please consult your doctor regarding this. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Dear Dr Mathur,
Thanks for your reply, I apologise with the delay as I haven't checked this account for about a month.

I have yearly MRIs as I have recurrent Central Neurocytomas and that's why I ended up with a VP shunt after an aggressive craniotomy was performed in 2006, my 5th since 2000.

How risky is the shunt tap as my Neurosurgeon doesn't want to "fiddle" with the shunt he says until it's necessary and that I should try and live with the symptoms for as long as I can endure? I'm constantly tired and have slit ventricle syndrome.

I look forward to your reply Dr Mathur.

Regards,
Nicole