Migraines & Headaches Community
Brain Calcification

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Brain Calcification

I'm a 54 years old woman, and in a brain TC it was written that I've a non-specific calcification next to the fourth ventricle. I don't have headackes, but since last month I've some vertigo when I spin in the bed and when i awakw up and put up from the bed in the morning. In the rest of the day I don't have any kind of vertigo. I've already gone to a otorhino. Now I'm waiting for a neurologist but, can you please tell me if this is dangerous, or what can this be?

Kind regards,
  Thank you

Dizziness on lying or on change of posture on bed can be most likely due to inner ear problems. There is a condition called Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) commonly causes dizziness in older people.

The most common cause is degeneration of the vestibular system of the inner ear. However, in majority of the cases the cause remains unknown.

The symptoms include dizziness or vertigo, lightheadedness, imbalance and nausea. Symptoms are almost always precipitated by a change of position of the head with respect to gravity (in the direction of the affected ear). The vertigo is brief in duration — 5 seconds to 30 seconds.

The condition is usually self limiting. However, you should consult your physician who can make a definitive diagnosis based on your history, physical examination, and vestibular and auditory tests.

The Dix-Hallpike maneuver is diagnostic for the condition.  The treatment of choice for this condition is the “Epley repositional maneuver” can be performed during a clinic visit by specially trained otolaryngologists, neurologists or audiologists. Surgical treatments are generally reserved for severe and persistent cases.

Take care!

Dear  Dr_Smita_S,

Thank you very much for you kind answer. I've already made a visit to an otolaryngologists, and he said that i don't have ear problems. Besides, before, I've made a brain TC, he showed no problems besides the "non-specific calcification next to the fourth ventricle". Is this something o concern a lot about? Or is that normal in people with my age and in menopause?

Once again thank you very much.

Thanks for writing in.
Brain calcifications can occur after stroke, brain injury. Sometimes brain tumors can get calcified. Calcifications in the brain can lead to epilepsy also. It is very difficult to tell the exact cause of calcification in your case without tests like MRI and CT scan.
The vertigo may be a symptom of menopause. Dizziness and vertigo are known to occur in menopause.
http://ezinearticles.com/?Getting-a-Grip-on-Menopausal-Dizziness-and-Vertigo&id=423504
Please undergo further evaluation. Take care!
Thank you very much.

But the calcification was seen in the CT scan. A non-specific calcification
Brain calcification helps us to improve the memory power and concentration power.The symptoms of the brain clacification are Loss or partial loss of motor control.Involuntary movement, tremors, writhing, Stiffness or rigidity

[url=http://www.brainhealthandpuzzles.com/calcification_on_the_brain.html]Brainhealthandpuzzles - Calcification on the brain[/url]
my 60yr old father has same but was told was phars disease he has lost speech(sounds drunk, mutters) and has issues with balance and judging distance and fine motor skills is there any help for him or aids to help with communication
I also have calcification near the fourth ventrical. Here is what the ER toctor told me when I went in for a severe migraine: Evaluation of brain parenchyma demonstrates a punctate area of hyperdensity just posterior to the 4th ventricle this most likely represents a small punctate calcification but it is suggested that a repeat study be obtained in 12 hours to evaluate for stability. The remainder of the brain parenchyma demonstrates no evidense of space-occupying lesion or hemorrhage. No extra-axial fluid collection. Ventricles are normal size and configuration.

What does all this mean? Should I be worried?
I was involved in a serious motor car accident 19 years ago. I fractured C1, C2, C6 and C7. I have suffered with severe muscle spasms and headaches ever since. Nothing was done because my x-husband thought that the pain was my imagination. The pain became more severe and I decided to go and see a specialist. The x-ray revealed that my C4 and C5 vertebrae was unstable. A year later I had a C.T done before my wisdom teeth was cut out. They found a cluster of calcification in the middle cranial fossa. I didn't worry about it much until the headache's became so bad that it felt as though a bomb was waiting to explode. Another C.T was done three weeks ago and they found more calcifications at the interhemispheric fissure. It looks rather scary when you look at the C.T and I am stressing knowing that there are things in my head that is not supposed to be there.
I asked my G.P to explain this to me and all he said was go see the neuro surgeon because it's to complicated!!!! I was 23 when the accident happened and am turning 42 next month. All I want is to know what the heck is going on!
Can no one explain to me as to waths it going on in my brain?