Cervicogenic headaches
Can you have cervicogenic headaches with occipital headaches at the same time?
How are you? Cervicogenic headaches may be caused by chronic tension or acute whiplash injury, intervertebral disc disease or progressive facet joint arthritis. Occipital headache, on the other hand,  may result from inflammation, injury, or pressure on the occipital nerves, upper cervical spinal roots, dorsal horn, or sensory ganglion.  It may happen to have compounding cervicogenic headaches because of the severe stress of the original headache. However, it is best that you have this evaluated further for proepr management. Take care and best regards.
Hi Cheryl042,

That is a very interesting question and I am glad that Rowena Santos, MD was able to help in answering your question.

I also fully agree with Rowena Santos, MD that if you are suffering from headaches, then it is best that you seek further evaluation from a physician so that you may receive proper treatment.

Let us know if you find out more on this topic. Keep in touch.

- marilee
My diagnoses are cervicogenic headaches with severe cephalgia, multilevel disc displacement, spondylosis of cervical and lumbar, stenosis of upper and lower back, and type 1 headaches. I had surgery 13 months ago, a ACDF of C6/C7 with single level fusion for pain and numbness in my left hand, shoulder and arm. The surgery hasn't made any difference at all. All of my tests are normal except for the discogram.  I've also had continuous headaches since June 2008. I've been to a back and pain center, physical therapy, headache clinic, neurologists, pain management, neurosurgeons,  and sports medecine/rehab doctors with little to no relief. I've had facet injections, nerve blocks, epidurals, greater/lesser occipital nerve blocks, trigger point injections, analegesic discograms in C2-C5. There is a problem with C4-C5 (positive for pain with discogram) but not I am not a surgical candidate. At C5-C6, a second source  with the discogram. My insurance will not cover a disc nucleoplasty or spinal cord stimulator because they're investigational. I can't take pain meds due to poor tolerance and the propensity for rebound headaches. Even when half of my head is numb, I continue to experience pain  in all areas with the numb areas somewhat dulled. The pain becomes concentrated in the areas that are not numb! I also have fibromyalgia and unfortunately, if symptoms can't be explained, it becomes a catchall for everything. My normal pain level has been at a 7 out of 10 every day all day long. Even with sleep aids, I have broken sleep (halcion, zanaflex, benadryl). Is there something that I've missed or perhaps a different approach that I could take?