Migraines & Headaches Community
Daily persistent headache and neck pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Daily persistent headache and neck pain

Since April of 2008 I have been dealing with undiagnosed daily head pressure, neck pain, brain fog, intermittent facial tingling, along with other symptoms as well. It's as if I'm hungover while being sober. All these symptoms followed a horrible flu I fought for about a month before it finally cleared up. Within a month or two of the flu ending the brain fog and spacey feeling set it. It was downhill from there.

In the past 4 years I have seen 4 neurologists, neurosurgeons, chiropractors, tmj specialist, had MRI's, CT Scans, MRA's, biopsy of my intestines to test for celiacs disease, and a whole slew of lab tests.

The only issues the doctors have found in 4 years is 2 herniated disc in my neck. Based on the location the neurologist says it would cause left arm tingling or pain but it wouldn't radiate up into my head creating these nonstop headaches. He says theres a 60-70% chance the discs are causing neck pain but he wouldn't recommend surgery at my age for such a small chance of improvement. He honestly doesn't think the headaches/pressure are a result of the disc but perhaps another underlying issue yet to be diagnosed.

He's wanting to send me to another neurologist to have a lumbar puncture. He believes I couldve had a viral infection associated with the flu that could have contributed to this illness.

My question is now that it's four years later would a lumbar puncture be worth it? If there is an infection still in my body would the damage be permanent at this point?
Sometime the flu (or any illness) can mess with the gut. You might try keeping a food diary to see if any food you eat makes it worse. I know for a fact a bout I had with the flu is now the reason I have celiacs.

I hope this helps,
achilles2

PS Many times food issue first show up as neurological issues than g.i. issues.
I just saw the biopsy info sorry. Sometimes even biopsies miss the celiac diagnosis. Definitely keep a food diary, also if you have anything with artificial sweetener you might want to remove it as it causes all sorts of neurological problems. I can't even chew 1/2 piece of sugarless gum w/o getting a migraine.

i just finished a one month gluten free diet testing for an intolerance with no noticeable improvements. The headaches and pressure are constant not just following a meal.