Migraines & Headaches Community
Head, neck, and shoulder pain on Right side

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

I have recently developed a headache that is mostly limited to the right side of my head, and is a constant, dull pain.  It is now progressed into my neck, shoulder, and upper back, again only limited to the RIGHT side of my body.  Although it is a dull constant pain, rather than a sharp pain, it is very painful as it is constantly occuring throughout the day, does not let up, and does not seem to be subdued through OTC pain relievers (e.g., extra strength acetamenophin, tension headache meds).  I am not prone to headaches, and have never had one that has lasted as long as this one with such extreme pain in the neck and shoulder as well.  What could this be?
I share your frustration and worry.  I have had a similar headache and pain on the right side of my body (mostly arm and hand) for over 2 years now. I have had neck x-rays and MRIs of my brain and neck.  So far I have seen 4 doctors who have given 4 different diagnoses.  Currently I am seeing a neurologist who suggested that I slowly reduce my acetaminophen intake and use ibuprophen instead.

My best wishes; please post again if you get any answers and I will do the same.
join the crowd...i have had shouldr surgery 3xs (you guessed it on the right side) and elbow and wrist and now i am on my 4th series of epdoral shots in the right side of my neck for a buldged anf herniated disc and massive migraines all on the right side - i am going on four years of this is my right arm is now just about totally shot. most days my hand is numb and/or tingling and i drop almost everything i touch. the pain is horrible and i'm at my witts end. advil? yeah, i wish.  i take pain killers daily - no not addicted to them, actually need them to move, lyric for the burning, topamax for the headaches, zanaflex for the muscle spasms, celebrex for inflamation (inflammation)....want me to keep going...trust me it gets worse! be thankful your only at that stage!
You have my sympathy.  I have had right sided neck, shoulder, forearm, and thumb twitching pain for almost 30 years.  The pain and tension causes a right sided headache that if left unchecked turns into a cluster headache centered over the right eye and right base of the skull.  I experienced lower and upper right eye twitching prior to pain and right eye wandering. Many CT's, MRI's, X-rays, have shown nothing.  I have explained to every doctor that since a motorcycle accident in 1968, a progression from a few incidents a year to everyday or multiple day pain leads to a trigger point in my neck.  Now things have changed for me I hope.  The latest X-rays led to an MRI that led to multiple herniated discs at C5, C6, and C7.  When I looked up the C6 nerve root, it leads to all of the symptoms I have described for all these years.  I am seeing another neurosurgeon next week for diagnosis.  With the trigger treated I hope to see progress, as I could tell you at what point I would have the one sided cluster headache by the progression of symptoms.  
The bottom line here is don't give up!  I held steady jobs and raised a good family while taking narcotics, muscle relaxers, antidepressants, imitrex and relpax and multiple emergency room visits ending in morphine or deluded but now I hope to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  You can survive so hang in there and keep after a diagnosis no matter what or how long you must go on.  I literally ripped my hair out during episodes and it is a debilitating pain but you will find a way to work through it until relief can be achieved.
Good luck and my prayers are with you.

I think there are a number of possibilities. It could be a tension headache due to excessive stress or anxiety. Also please get a vision test done to rule out eyesight problems, and get your blood pressure checked.
Headache could also be due to a neck problem caused by a bad posture. I suggest you schedule an appointment with your physician and undergo a complete physical examination.
my mother have pain in right side arm head shoulder and throat when she sleep her right side parts like arm and shoulder dsent feel anything plzz reply thank you

Hi...I am not a Dr, and that is who ur mother should see....this could be a pinched nerve a bulging disk....just about nething, and with out a physical exam by a Dr and some testing there is no way someone online can tell u what this might be and be correct.

Please have her see a Dr and post an update : )

"selma"
I have a big pop feeling in my head ,and the next day pain and the day after that pass out feeling sick neck pain,,,the day after that the 3 rd day no more dizzy or pass out just a little  hard ache and heavy feeling crushing and mussel getting tightness on my neck ,a little weakness on my arms and legs.I don't have serious anxiety