Migraines & Headaches Community
Headache when I stand up

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Headache when I stand up

Hello: for the last two days I have had a headache.  I rarely get headaches. The right side of my head starts to pound every time I stand up or make quick movements.  My vision also seems to be slightly blury and I feel like my thoughts are not very sharp.  I am a female in her late 20s.  What could be the cause/cure?  Thank you.
Hello, dear.  :)  I am not a doctor, but I have a feeling it might have something to do with your blood pressure.  Do you have high or low blood pressure?  If you are having blurred vision and fuzzy thoughts, you may want to see your primary care physician and get that checked.  Does the pain start in the back of your head where your cervical spine meets the base of your skull and travel up?  It may be due to your spine either not being alligned correctly or maybe a neck injury of some sort.  Have you had a neck injury recently?  These things can come about days, even a week or two after the initial trauma.  Try icing your neck and prop your head up with pillows.  I would suggest a chiropractor, but DO NOT go to a chiropractor until you've seen your primary care physician to determine other causes.

My migraine has lasted since September 22nd and the severity of it has diminished some, but sometimes it will come back with a vengance.  It always throbs on the left side of my head and behind my left eye, and then I start to... well, not exactly stutter, but I can't seem to form a coherent thought in my brain for a few moments.  It's really weird, so I know some of what you're going through.  Head pain is a tricky subject.  I hope this helped a little, but I really think you should see your doctor.  Ttfn!

jfreake
You may be suffering from postural hypotension. It is the fall in blood pressure which occurs on standing. The symptoms are headache, dizziness, blurry vision, light headedness. Do you have a job where you sit for long duration? This leads to pooling of blood in the lower extremities. You can avoid this by standing gradually from sitting position, drinking lots of water, eating multiple small meals instead of few large ones.
The same thing is happening to me, but im 11 and my blood presure is fine.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Are there other symptoms present? Aside from postural hypotension, this can also be due to exertion headaches which occurs after or during exertion. With postural hypotension, this may occur with normal blood pressure. The issue is the change in the pressure when you stand up. Try to stand slowly and avoid any exertion that can lead to your symptoms. If it persists, you may need further evaluation to rule out other medical conditions such as anemia. Take care and regards.
im 15 years of age and ive had an intense headache for the last week and it wont go away no matter what i do.It goes away for about 10 minutes and then comes back. It gets really intense when istand up or walk for awhile. Could this be a simple headache or could it be a migrain??plaese someone help me.Please and thank you.tylerashley
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Migraine usually presents with one-sided throbbing headaches and sometimes with nausea, vomiting and sensitivity to light and sound. If the headache gets intense when you stand up, this could be postural hypotension also as mentioned above. If it persists, you need to have this checked by your doctor for proper evaluation. Your complete medical history, neurological examiantion and additional tests may need to be done. Take care and do keep us posted.
My wife has all of the migraine symptoms plus the blinding headache when she stands and when she lies down.

Seen a specialist and an osteopath who does actually help and checks body alignment and muscle tension.
Lots of things are going on but as yet we have no solution. This occurs every day and often each day!!
Any working solutions will be seriously considered as my wife cannot function at the moment.
Geoff
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi Geoff,
How is your wife? Are there other symptoms present? Were there imaging studies done such as MRI or CT scan? With migraine headaches, avoidance of triggers and both preventive and abortive medications may help provide relief. If her current medications are not helping, inform her doctors for proper management. Severe headache upon standing may also be attributed to intracranial hypotension which is caused by the leakage of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF). This can be diagnosed with the help of imaging  studies.  Take care and do keep us posted.
I have the same problem. I'm 15 and I've never had a problem with headaches until recently. I get intense headaches almost everytime I stand up from a laying position. I get extremely dizzy and I have to sit back down to regain my balance and consciousness. I'm kind of worried. Any ideas?
Hi, I'm pregnant with my second child and have been vomitting a lot which I didn't do with my first. I have also started getting a very sore head when I stand up and tends to be the left side. Can anyone help me understand what's causing this?
Thanks :)
Heloo, I'm 38 years old, I have HBP and currently taking medication to control it, I've had headaches since I was in College, this type of headaches hit me when I stand up, they start at the back of my head, like at the base of my skull and travel up and to the front, towards the back of my right eye, my vision gets all dizzy and I get very sensitive to the light. The weird part is that they only last between 7-10 seconds. They are very sharp and painfull, sometimes they almost make me cry, some other times are not that intense. Also whe the pain is gone I have a strange sensation at he chest-stomach area. I'm worry because they are getting more intense and more often than before. Can anyone hep me?