Migraines & Headaches Community
Headaches after increase in heart rate

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Headaches after increase in heart rate

I'm a 22 year old male. My only known medical conditions are mild asthma and hayfever. Over a month ago I stopped smoking and embarked on a new health routine. This involved mainly regular exercise at my local gym with the assistance of a personal trainer. My diet changed to incorporate more protein along with some diet suppliments of protein shakes, vitamin C tablets and fish oil capsules.

Over the past 2 weeks I've been experiencing a recurring intense headache which is only really appearing in the left part of my forehead. It becomes apparent when I am engaging in exercise, from weight lifting, to situps, but also more worryingly even during simple things as become aroused and ejaculating.

It is a very intense pain which seems to throb and with my pulse it is extremely discomforting and only tends to subside slightly, aspirin and a good nights sleep also seem to be unable to fully alleviate it. I've been trying my best to drink as much water as possible even if it means I frequent the toilet more often. Recently I've had a few nose bloods, and sometimes wake up with a congested nose because of it.

I am not sure if it is just my body adjusting to my new lifestyle, or if I'm being a hyperchondriac or perhaps if it could be symptoms of something more serious.

Any feedback would be appreciated

Thank you
It is not uncommon to have exertional headaches after or during exercise or heavy physical activity. Please drink plenty of water and eletrolytes to prevent dehydration. You can take OTC pain killers for headache. I would say restrict your exercise to light exercises nothing heavy for some time.Hope it helps!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello.

There seem to be a combination of different factors responsible for your headach, and the lack of relief.

Firstly, your headache could be due to nicotine withdrawal. I would like to know how heavy was your smoking, and since when ? You could take a course of nicotine chewing gums for some time, and slowly stop.

Secondly, is there any particular reason why you have made the lifestyle change ?  Exercising does increase your blood circulation. If you are not to change the exercise schedule, have you tried Naproxen ?

Regards

DrAbhijeetMD
I have a similar condition as Bollo. I used to get migraines very frequent when i was younger. Over the past few years this has got a lot better. I have not change my diet or routine in anyway. However, a couple of weeks ago, i started to get bad headaches after sexual activity. This has never happened before! It seems like it only occurs when my heart rate is elevated. A good nights sleeps does not make me feel any better in the morning. I still feel really tiered and "not with it" in the morning. Does anyone know, what could be causing this?

Dan
you should talk to your doctor. it's probably nothing but an exertional headache but there are also more dangerous headaches that are associated with headaches that come on from sexual exertion... like brain bleeds. Especially if this just recently started happening.
I too have been getting extreme throbbing headache during my training session.  Last week was the first time and again today it happened.  I am drinking a gallon of water a day and have increased my protein intake.  It seems to happen when I am lifting weights...I had a hard time working thru the pain today.  Not sure what is going on but I just had a physical and all tests are well within the healthy range.  
I just posted something very simil. I'm a 42yrs 5'11 160lbs in great shape.  But just last night, during a bout of vigorous sex, I exprienced an intense pain on the left side of my head that traveled up to the top of my head. ER did MRI and found nothing.  Later that night after I came home, I increased my HR to see if it would happen again, and it did. The pain is intense but subsides very quickly. I have no other syptoms (symptoms). It's very alarming. My BP is normal although HR/Pulse was slightly elevated but went down pretty quickly while just resting. I'm in Medschool studing to be a PA-C but none of my Dr. instuctors or fellow students have any clue as to what might be causing this.  The most popular answer i'm getting is that I may have a blockage of my internal corotid artery on the left side.  I have no medical insurance due to getting laid off, and the ensurance that I have through school only covers catastrophic cases like, stuff you get hospitalized for. ie Bad car accident, cancer, so forth, so I don't have the luxury of going to a specialist and paying through the nose for him to do a battery of test on me.  If I do find out something soon I will let you know diana289
Hello All,

I'm in the same boat here. I'm 28, male, always considered myself to have reasonable health, 6"4' 108kg. Wanted to improve my fitness so embarked on a new exercise plan, I joined the gym and improved diet, 2 weeks in, 40 minutes into a intense CV workout I got a sudden pulsating pain in my head which prompted me to hit the deck as I've never experienced anything like it. I have experienced general headaches and a migraine in the past but this was completely different! It's related to increased heartrate. I even get the pain with lovemaking sessions with the Mrs.

I have private cover with Benenden and have made an appointment to see a consultant at Harley St so will update you on any findings.
Hello All,

I had a CT scan which showed no problems, no bleeds etc. Consultant put it down to exertional headache which should clear.

After a couple weeks, I no longer get any issues. Was concerned but happy all has been checked.

Regards
Scott
The following link may also be of use;

http://www.livestrong.com/article/144895-causes-of-exertion-headaches/

Regards
Scott
I have experienced this pain as well. I am 28, started working out as well. Experience the same pain during sexual climax. I have noticed that the pain is coming from an area around the base of my skull where the spinal cord attaches to it. I have been able to dull or relieve the pain within about 10 minutes of neck stretching and holding my head tilted for a few minutes (in the most relaxed bending you can do on your neck by grabbing the top of your head and pulling left or right).  

This leads me to believe that we may be suffering from a chiropractic issue in the alignment of our shoulder-level and on up to the base of the skull.  I will be meeting my chiropractor within a few days.  If it resolves my issue, I won't post anything else. Otherwise, I'll post if the attempt was unsuccessful at resolving the migraines.