Migraines & Headaches Community
Left side head pressure

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Left side head pressure

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping somone here can help me.

For the last six weeks or so I have been experiencing a bizzare pressure on the top of my head on the left-hand side.
It starts just behind my ear and carries on up to the top. I also feel deaf in my left side ear, as if there is some pressure in there also. The pressure also preiodically seems to end up making my jaw feel heavy and/or the back of my neck feel tensed up.For the first week or so I assumed it was just a strange feeling head cold but now it has stretched on for longer I'm starting to get a little worried. I went to the doctors to see if it was an inner ear infection but she told me I was probably causing the pain by grinding my jaw (I find this highly improbable to be honest). It feels as though I am wearing a hat on the left side of my head and this is a constant feeling for me. I also felt there was a minute difference in the vision in my left eye although I have only felt pressure there once or twice in the last six weeks. The pressure on my scalp is constantly there from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to sleep. When I press on the spot I feel this headache is I feel a little dizzy. I am in no real pain at all and feel a bit silly going to the doctors again really (although I would like to rule out the possibility of a brain tumor although I doubt it is because iit feels like the pressure is ON my head rather than IN it, if you see what I mean).

I am a 20 year old female, have several allergies (although none have ever presented themselves as anything resembling a headache) and did suffer with depression which I was medicated for, however I have now managed to get into a stable enough mental state to come off of the drugs. The only panic attack I have ever had was the day I went completely cold turkey and came off the anti-depressants (hopefully) for good. I have never suffered from migranes (migraines) or any other type of headache really.

This headache is starting to get me down. I would like it to go away as I hate the feeling of being deaf!

Could it be stress or anxiety? I am currently studying at University and I am finding it very frustrating this term. I also just started a new job ( although the pressure was there before then).

first things first, should I go back to see a (different) doctor? Will it go away on its own eventually?

thankyou for taking the time to read this.

SamSam

Avatar dr f tn
Hi SamSam,
How are you? It is really difficult to concentrate in school and in work with problems with your health. It is good that ear problem was ruled out by your ENT doctor. They could have been considering  Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) Headaches which is a muscle-contraction type of pain caused by malocclusion, stress, and jaw clenching or grinding. If this is not the case, this could be Tension-Type Headaches which presents with dull, non-throbbing pain associated with tightness of scalp or neck. The degree of severity remains constant and can be due to emotional stress and sometimes hidden depression. Tumor headaches are usually progressive with symptoms like projectile vomiting, visual disturbances or rigid neck. Try not to worry and avoid stress. Rest, ice packs, muscle relaxants, analgesics and avoidance of stress will help. If it persists, you may need to have this checked by your doctor or continue with antidepressants if appropriate. Take care and do keep us posted.
thats something i got on internet to see if anyone have heard of such, because I am experience some of the same thing. the pressure starts from left top of my head down to the ear and left Jaw and it is a weard feeling. I also went to ear doctor and have been treated for allgeries and i come to believe its not that. the only difference from yours and mine is i dont fell deaf in that ear. and yes i feel pretty silly going back to two doctors and it is not a bad pain, but a weird filling. i have been under a lot of stress, but couldn't imaging that stress would work in that manner. if you find out be fore me please let me know and i will post if i find out before you.        
Avatar dr f tn
How are you? It is goo that the ENT doctor has cleared you with ear problems. If there is pain in the jaw, this could be due to temporomandibular Joint  pain which is a muscle-contraction type of pain, sometimes accompanied by a painful "clicking" sound on opening the jaw. It can be due to malocclusion  or poor bite, jaw clenching and stress. Stress indeed can be a possible cause. Relaxation, biofeedback, or use of bite plate may help. Check with your dentist to rule this out. Take care.
Avatar dr f tn
Do you still experience the pressure on your head? If there is a lot of stress also, tension headache is one differential. Avoidance of stress and pain analgesics may help provide relief. Hope to hear from you. Best regards.
How strange I have the same sort of symptoms I have pressure behind ear and neck that goes up to top of head I am currently waiting for a mri scan because I have had this for a while now and I have been told so many things like sinusitis which I don't think it is. Some people have said stress and anxiety its horrible because it's a like it goes around and round with what this could be and you get stressed and anxious about it which don't help. I am now trying to not think about it and go for walks and watch comedys but it is hard not to think about it specially when it's in your head. But did you ever find out what it is?

Hope all is well

Neil
Did you ever find out anything from your MRI?  I haven't had mine checked, as I hate going to the Dr.  I have had this like dull blank sort of ache on the left side of my head..along with sort of a stiff neck.  I have had it constantly, with no let up at all since Dec. so that's 2 months now.  It's difficult to explain how it feels.  It's not like any headache I have ever had.  Its not unbearable, but its there and annoying...and I do sometimes take something to try to get relief.  It almost feels like a stiff plate is attached under my skull.  Thanks, and I hope we all get some relief!
I have been feeling the same pain
It's only on the left side top on my ear and when I clinch my teeth I feel the pain a bit worse
It last for a few seconds and goes away then come back
It's really weird
I have anxiety for a couple years now but never experiences that.

I'm worried what it could be :(
Hi, I'm having the exact same sensations on the left side of my head. It's everyday off and on all day. I had a MRI 2 days ago, results not given yet. Now that I have read all these posts about the same thing, I am guessing my doctor is going to tell me the MRI was normal. I am just wanting to know if you or anyone on here has been given a diagnosis or received proper treatment. If so, I would like to know what doctor and where. I see that some people have reported having this condition for more than two years without a proper diagnosis or treatment. I am hoping to find comfort or at least get the attention of some medical research team that is looking into all these unresolved complaints.
Did anyone ever get MRI results? I have been experiencing the same symptoms. The dr said that I have Eustachian tube dysfunction, which has caused inflammation to press on nerves. I have been taking allergy meds. I do have migraines and have had them pretty much my whole life.
I have the same problem, only mine is new......another thing is, I have been having a lot of dizzy spells....whether Im standing, sitting, or laying down. The pressure in my head just started tonight though
is it gone?
i m feeling d exact same thing.

what to do now?
I have been experiencing this for many years now. The MRI just found an inflamed nerve on that side of my head. The only thing that ever seems to help is drinking alcohol but of course I am not going to do that all the time so I just suffer. A lot. I hope a professional has some input that could help us all.