Migraine + facial numbess/tingling?
I have had migraine headaches since childhood but in the past few months I have noticed a tingly/numb sensation around my left cheekbone. My migraine pain is usually on the left side, at the temple or behind the eye. Any information you could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Hi Jenny,
Yes i think tingly numbness in your face is because of your migraine. Other causes could be diabetes and underactive thyroid. So you can get your blood sugar and thyroid tests done to rule out these conditions.Vitamin B12 deficiency can also cause tingling numbness in face. I would suggest you take a dietary supplement. Which medicines are you currently taking for migraine? And how often do you get migraine attacks?
You should consult a neurolgist to rule out neuralgias, which could be causing the tingling and numbness. It would be advisable to take a methylcobalamin and Vit B12 supplement. Also avoid stress, strong light and loud music and any other trigerring factors for the migraine. Adequate sleep at night with a short nap in the afternoon should be of help. Also do you notice the tingling and numbness related to chewing or eating? you would then require an ENT consultation too. Goodluck.
You might want to try a chiropractor first for the tingling.  I had that going on and went to a neurologist.  Spent alot of money for the MRI and the dr. and after the test came back fine, he said there is nothing I can do for you.  So I went to a chiropractor and he got the tingling to stop, but I still have constant headaches.
I take Topamax (preventative--50mg) and Midrin for my migraines. Frequency of attacks vary, but I would say approx. 2 per month although the intensity has been reduced greatly due to the Topamax. I have not noticed any relationship between the numb/tingly sensation and eating. I do, however, grind my teeth at night and occasionally have some jaw discomfort from that. Thank you for your insights!
Hi Jenny... I'm in your same boat.. The numbness feels kinda like the novicaine at the dentist is wearing off... except in the last couple of days it has started to hurt in addition to tingling... the doctor is just calling it a complicated migraine, assures me he is not ignoring my symptoms, and that we must treat it with kit gloves...in the mean time, I am begining to have trouble reading to my classes, and sluring my speach... i'm also having trouble with word recall...like I know what i want to say, and I know i know the word for it, but I can't find it fast enough to use it... (makes me snap my fingers a lot .. and say intelligent things like "you know...that thing")... good luck to you..