Migraines & Headaches Community
Migraines and ASD repair

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Migraines and ASD repair

I am 29 years old and 3 years ago had and ASD repaired in my heart through keyhole surgery. Ever since having the surgery I have suffered from Migraines. I began getting them every other day (aura, followed by headache and extreem tiredness) Doctors put me on preventive medication which reduced the severity of the migraines but didn't stop them. I now get migraines after every exercise session. Does anyone know what the relationship between ASD repair and migraines is? Has anyone else suffered this side effect of ASD repair surgery? Doctors seem to think they are unrelated however, the onset of the migraines was exactly after the surgery so I am convinced there is a link.

Thanks Danielle
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Headaches and ASD repair do not seem to be directy associated with each other.

Was CT scan of the brain done at any one time? Was an EEG done? You can discuss this with your physicians as to exclude other underlying conditions that may have caused the onset of your migraines. You may have your medications evaluated since some of these may be causing the headaches.Have you had your coagulation factors assessed?

Thank you for your reply to my question. I had a CT done when the migraines began and this came back clear. I have not had an EEG done or the coagulation factors assessed but will ask about this at my next appointment. I am not on any medications to do with the surgery and am not currently on preventive medications for migraines so this cannot be the cause. There is a correlation between ASD and migraines in that usually people who suffer migraines and have an ASD repair report that the migraines improve. Unfortunately I seem to have the opposite effect.

Danielle
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Yes, that seems to be baffling in your case.The headaches may have occurred separate to your ASD .Something could have triggered this.Migraines are somewhat complex conditions and how they come about and direct pathologic bases are still quite unclear.One thing to discuss with your physician is if you can take preventive migraine medications given that you had a prior ASD surgery. Also, a complete work up regarding coagulation factors and an EEG may be done.

How does your aura present?
My Migraines begin with cold fingers (usually just the little one on one hand while all the other fingers are warm. Following this I get blurry eyes. It is hard to explain but it is as though half of the vision in one eye (not always but usually the left) is gone. If I try to read something some words will be completely obscured. As it progresses the rest of my vision becomes blurry and then it is though there is a ring of diamonds around my vision. This can last anywhere up to an hour when it will dissappear. I then will get a headache (they are not bad by some migraine sufferers standards - but not that pleasant either) I also become very tired and need a sleep to recover. It is frustrating because I get a migraine about an hour or so after every exercise session (running, swimming, gym weights etc) and cannot drive during this time. If they come on while I am teaching (I am a primary school teacher) I can't read what the students have written.

Thanks for your interest in my case
Regards
Danielle
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Stress and physical exertion seem to trigger the migraines. Have you observed other triggers? Have you modified your exercises and observed if less vigorous exercises may help?

You may consult with your surgeon and have a follow up assessment done with regards to the status of the ASD.You have described the auras and they appear to be typical of a migraine aura and since they have been present for the past 3 years , it is likely to be benign in origin.If this is the case, your migraines have to be treated as a separate entity from the ASD and may need to be managed. Discuss preventive migraine therapy with your physician. Your history of cardiac surgery warrants close supervision with regards to intake of medications.