Migraines & Headaches Community
Neck Pain/Headaches at base of skull

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Neck Pain/Headaches at base of skull

I am a male 48 who recently (45 days) completed surgery for a blocked/infected sphenoid sinus.  It was noticed in am MRI to diagnose headaches at the skull base with severe neck tension.  It did not cure the condition, and they are still bothering me.  I have had treatment for shoulder damage 6 months ago which is cured, and the sinus surgery...but nothing will eliminate the headaches.  Is this possibly a neurological condition, or something else.  I have had CAT scans and MRI's of the complete spine to the shoulder, and a head scan with no issues.  The headaches are at the base of the skull, and come with severe neck tension, while radiating to the top of the head.  No other issues, and no injuries that I am aware of.  Headaches happen all day, even when lyin down.  I am taking something call Butlbtl.  Please Help

Since your neck scans and brain scans have been fine the possibility of lesions in the cervical spine and brain seem almost negligible.
It may have something to do with your neck posture. Does your job entail sitting in front of the computer for prolonged periods of time? If yes, then please make sure your posture is correct; avoid bending forwards while sitting and hyperextension of neck while lying down. Neck massage, heat packs, daily neck exercises will also help.
Good luck!

I have been having the same type of headaches only mine are when I stand up, sit down, cough, sneeze or strain. Mine are due to a Cervical spine fusion I had done in June of 2008.  The headaches have been unbearable and nothing would help until I did a lot of research and I asked my Dr. to put me on Neurontin which is for seizures.  I have not had a headache since so you may want to look into it for it might help you too.

I feel for you!