Migraines & Headaches Community
Pain to exactly half of the entire head.

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

I am writing this for help with my mom. My mother suffers from terrible head pain that starts in the middle of the night. The pain originates at the lower left side of the skull/neck and shoots up and around her ear, to the top of her head and down the front left side of her face. She explains it that if she could cut her head in half she would.

The pain that is caused is so unbearable and lasts for hours, one time over 18 hours. She has seen every type of doctor, neourologist, pain managment, physical therapist, nerosurgeon and not one can give her an explination on what and why. One doctor has refered to it as a degenerative nerve and another as an arthritic nerve. She has recieved shots and stimiulation treatment from the pain managment doctor but the relief is just a few days and very painful when the treatment is recieved.

Any help or suggestions would greatly be helpful. My heart is breaking watching my mother cry in pain.
Hi there..I totally feel your pain...my husbands are the same. Have you ever heard of Hemicania continua?? It basically means "pain on one side of my head all the time" My husband was checked for that but didnt have it....they use a drug called Indomethecin..if she has that..this med will relieve the pain withing a matter of days.....its worth a shot.Good Luck
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How is your mom? Arthritis Headaches are pain at the back of head or neck and intensifies on movement. it can be caused by inflammation of the blood vessels of the head or bony changes in the structures of the neck. Anti-inflammatory drugs and  muscle relaxants may also help. However, if these do not help, you may want to try complimentary and alternative medication such as biofeedback or self-hypnosis. Take care and do keep us posted.
I forgot all about this post and just checked on it...My mom went to see a headache specialist and she perscribed Indocin which is the generic form of Indomethecin had worked wonders. She has been pain free for weeks.
So glad that it works for your husband thank you for replying and understanding what I have been going through.