Migraines & Headaches Community
Pregnant with throbbing pain on right side of head

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

I am 18 weeks pregnant and concerned about a headache I've had for the last week, however I am not sure if it is related to pregnancy or not.
When it occurs it is always in the same spot, the scalp area on the right side of my head, where my skull curves down, and about 2-3 inches away from my temple. The spot where I get it can range from 1 inch in diameter to 4 inches depending on the intensity of the headache. It's a sharp pain, sometimes it is intense sometimes weak, and it is usually throbbing. Last night I began to wonder if something is growing or damaged in that area because it is always in the same spot. I have not had any head injuries so I dont think its from that.  It lasts from a few seconds to 15 minutes or longer.
The headache comes and goes several times through out the day but only lasts a few seconds or minutes. At nights I have noticed that I get it at least two times becase I wake up to the pain which is more intense and spread out in diameter at these times. When I wake up to this pain, usually changing positions will make it subside or disappear. Sometimes I get it first thing in the morning before I have even gotten out of bed, but the pain is usually light, only once was it intense first thing in the morning.
There seems to be no pattern as to when it occurs. Moving my head from one direction or angle to another triggers it, but moving it again will make it subside or disappear.
I've tried to give as much information as I can, I would really be grateful if someone can put me in the right direction so I know what steps to take next. Normally I wouldn't be as concerned but because I am 18 weeks along I am more precautious.
Avatar n tn
I have the exact same symptoms. Mine are on the left side and have lasted for about 3 days now and I am a little concerned. I am wondering if they are stress related or tension headaches. Did you ever find out what it was? Hope is all went well with you!
Avatar n tn
dfg
Avatar n tn

I spoke with my nurse after almost 2 weeks of this headache. I was told that it is not unusual to have such headaches and there are a lot of causes from anemia, dehydration etc.

My headache is now long gone, what helped tremendously was drinking enough liquids as the nurse suggested. Keeping myself hyrdrated helped during those hotter days when my headaches were more frequent and intense. I also tried to stay in AC'd environments and that seemed to prevent the headache from returning.

If these tips dont help I suggest also calling your nurse and ask for suggestions on what you can do for your headache.

Good luck!

I am feeling the same i am 18weeks pregnant myself i over worry to much cus of it idk what to do i did a mri when i was 15weeks everything was ok i don't understand sometimes i feel like my brain vibrates i suffer from anxiety