Migraines & Headaches Community
Pulsating Headache to the back of the head

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

I am 43 year old male. For the past 5 days or so, day and night, I have been experiencing a pulsating headache to the left hand side of the back of my head. It's the first time I have had this.

What I mean by pulsating is that approximately once every minute I feel a sharp pain for just a fraction of a second. It's as though a needle pricks you in your head and then you feel the pain spreading around that area of the back of my head. I can bear it mainly because it happens for just a fraction of a second, I guess if it was continuous pain it would be quite unbearable.

The headache medicine I've taken hasn't made a difference.

I don't feel dizzy at all and I did not hit my head onto anything.

What may be causing this? Like I said it hasn't let off for the past 5 days.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

This may be a case of neuralgia ( nerve pain ). Musculoskeletal causes may also present with sharp pain. Other differentials will be a migraine, cervicogenic ( spine related ) headaches, occipital neuralgia, paroxysmal hemicrania. Any other associated symptoms like eye redness and tearing?

I suggest you seek consult with a neurologist for a complete evaluation.OTC analgesics may not be able to help. A cranial scan and a cervical spine scan will be able to rule other underlying problems.A case of migraine is only given as a diagnosis after a complete assessment and other possible conditions have been ruled out.
Thank you for the quick answer!

I will follow your advice and will arrange to see a neurologist!
I have exactly the same thing except I am a female, 46yrs old.  No other symptons just the headache on left rear side of head.  It's been on and off for the last 5 days. I do not normally have headaches.

If you find out anything please let me know.  
I have had the exact symtoms (symptoms) going on for two days what was the out come from your problem , please respond, i feel like i may have a tumor or an anyrysm. This is kind of scary. Patty
I am having the same exact pain, and my mother is a nurse and she said its called a tension headache and it is caused by stress, lack of sleep and malnutrition. webmd tells you more about it if you look it up
Avatar_dr_f_tn
One-sided pulsating headaches usually refers to migraine headache while dull vise-like type of pain usually signifies tension headaches. Rest, pain medications, ice packs, avoidance of triggers such as stress usually help.  Take care and best regards.