Migraines & Headaches Community
SHORT, SHARP, INTENSE HEADACHES ON LEFT SIDE

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Usually I get short sharp shooting headaches on the left side that literally stop me in my tracks.  I stop everything until it subsides within about 30 seconds.  Lately, I have been getting the headaches on a much smaller scale more often on the left side of my head.  What should I make of it?  I also get headaches sometimes while using my cell phone on the left side.  Any ideas what is causing them?

Pilot Guy
Shooting pains are almost always indicative of nerve trauma or disease. If the pains are in the back of your head, you likely are experiencing occipital neuralgia/neuritis; similar pains in the face are often due to trigeminal neuralgia. A neurologist or pain clinic doctor can help determine what type of neuralgia you have, but you will probably get better relief at a pain clinic.

Good luck!
i was just in er on saturday for a headache that has continued to hurt just on the left side. i also have a tender spot on the top of my head on the left side. they told me i have an inflamed nerve that goesfrom my nerve from my shoulder  to my my head. they gave me vicodin and sent me home.  
I have the same headaches that last for 30 sec (in my left temple) and sometimes are so intense that they radiate into my left shoulder.  I was watching Unknown Diagnosis on DHC  about 2 years ago and they diagnosed a small child with this.  It has a very long name and I have lost the piece of paper I wrote it on.  I found this website trying to search for it.  Let me know if you have come across the term.
Avatar_dr_f_tn

Short bursts of headaches may have the following differentials: cluster headaches, paroxysmal hemicrania, hemicrania continua, short lasting unilateral neuralgiform headache, trigeminal neuralgia, carotidynia and occipital neuralgia, migraine without aura.

Have you consulted with a physician yet? A complete medical history and physical examination may be able to rule out other types of headaches. It is important to have the eyes, nose, sinuses and throat assessed to rule out involvement of these structures. Also the presence of underlying diseases like a thyroid problem, diabetes, vascular insufficiencies also need to be excluded.

Keep us posted regarding your physician's advise.
i have been facing the same thing while taking over the phone for more than 20 mins. wat tests i should do? is it serious? wat is it actually?
I have been experiencing headaches on the left side of my head, but the weird thing is its been going for 3 days now, and it not only effects my eyes (there just throbbing) but when I wake up I feel it immediately. Its hard to concentrate on anything, and sometimes it feels like there's this paralizing numbness that effects my whole head and then it let's up after a few seconds, and back to the normal ache that streams from the back of my head to the front temples and eyes. Any ideas?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Was there a previous trauma to the head or neck? Cluster headaches may present with pain in the eye and the pain frequently develops during sleep and may last for several hours. The attacks occur every day for weeks then usually disappear. It can also be present together with migraine headache which is associated with throbbing one-sided headache. If it persists, you may need to have this evaluated by your doctor for proper management. Avoidance of triggers, rest, ice pack and prescription medications may help. Take care and do keep us posted.
I have the same exact issue. I get them very sharp in my left temple area and in my shoulder - if i bring my shoulder up to temple its like the points of pain can meet. They are entirely unpredictable and last just a few seconds but when they happen they are absolutely awful and sometimes I fall to the ground in pain. I can't do anything. I started seeing a neurologist and got some blood work and an MRI done but they said they see nothing, it just must be migraines, gave me preventative medicine -that doesnt work. Have you had any progress on figuring out yours?