Migraines & Headaches Community
Severe headache, 7 days

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Severe headache, 7 days

Hi everyone. My name's Sinead. I'm 19 years old.

Last tuesday morning I woke up with sever stabbing pains in the right side of my head. Any time that I would lay my head down and raise it up again, the pain would return. I went to the Doctor the following day because I couldn't study with it. He gave me anti-inflammatory tablets. I took these until yesterday, Sunday, and there is hardly any improvement. (he said it was probably a cluster migraine)

the pain is at it's worst in the morning and the night time, as well as a consistent headache. I went to another doctor today, and she gave me anti-migraine tablets. I took the first 5 hours ago and there is still no improvement. She is concerned that it has lasted 7 days.

I'm also concerned. Does anyone know what the source of the problem is? Because the doctor now reckons it is something perhaps more serious because she cannot find a cause? thanks
Have you had any further tests?  I am not a doctor but if the migraine meds are not working it seems that an MRI to rule out an underlying condition would be the next step. That or a CT scan.

As it has been a few days since your post, I hope you have found some relief.  Please keep posting.

TC
Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? Migraine headaches, which usually present with one-sided throbbing headaches may be managed with prescription medications ( both preventive and abortive medicines), rest ,ice pack, and avoidance of triggers. It is important that you identify the possible triggers so that you can avoid them, A headache journal or the headache tracker found in this forum may help. If the pain persists, inform your doctor about this. Further evaluation like imaging studies and blood tests may be done. A change of dosage or medication may also be indicated. Take care and regards.
Hey guys, thanks for responding!

The headaches are still there, but less severe, yet more consistent. I've been put on Keral for 10 days now, an anti-inflammatory. It takes the sting away from the headache, but as soon as they wear offit comes back. I'm only on them while I wait for my appointment with the Neurologist.

The doctor I saw said she didn't think it was anything sinister, but she stil wants me to see a neurologist because I'm a student and concentrating is a big challenge now. She said the "cluster migraines" can last for 8-12 weeks...fun.

But as soon as I know what the problem is, I'll post it here..because who knows who else might feel the same.

Thanks guys :)
My son also suffers from constant tension headaches and migraines every few weeks. I just came across a web site www.irlen.com that describes a syndrome that the brain does not process visual input correctly, thus causing migraines. There is no other clinical cause for my son's migraines, which should be first checked and ruled out. If there are no medical causes for the migraine, you may want to consider if you can have an irlen screening to test for light sensitivity and related issues. He is being screened next week so I am not sure if he has the syndrome. Best of luck to you.