Sharp Pain in head- lasts for a few seconds... Help me please
Just wanted to give a little background just incase these could be interrelated:

I’ve had migraines since I was little and I’m now 23 years old. The symptoms have changed since I’ve gotten older. They started as severe pain, light sensitivity, being in a fog, sometimes I had trouble speaking, and dizziness. Now it’s severe pain but it travels it’s not always in the same spot. Just as incapacitating just now I can see clearly. Sometimes I get nauseas and dizzy. I used to have them at least three times a week. My biggest triggers are stress and food. Now I’m down to one a week. My warning sign before the migraine is a headache. Sometimes I take Excedrin for migraines or aleve. Sometimes these work, sometimes they don’t.

I’ve been on several different prescription medications and I stopped because of the side effects. The side effects were so bad that I would actually deal with the pain. I had an MRI 3 years ago everything was fine.

I also have a herniated disk in my lower back, pinches the nerves down my legs and sometimes it’s difficult to move. (just incase this might be related I wanted to mention it)

NOW the problem at hand! Sometimes I get a severe head pain, it lasts for a few seconds but it will stop me in my tracks. It actually takes my breath away. It feels like a throbbing/ squeezing/ hammering on my brain. It actually still hurts for a minute after the attacks. I just had one in the left middle portion of my head. They happen a few times a week and I’m not sure if they are all in the same spot. I’m pretty sure they aren’t.

Can someone tell me what this could be?

Are you still taking any medications?

I suggest you discuss with your physician the advantages of migraine prophylaxis and use of Coenzyme Q10 in migraine prevention.

Trying alternative forms of therapy like acupuncture, tai chi, aromatherapy may also supplement drug therapy.

Watch out for any deficits like numbness, weakness, slurring of speech,doubling of vision associated with the headaches which may warrant further investigation.

Keep us posted .Bring scan results and test results with you during consultations.

Good Luck!

I am not on any medications now.

I'm going to start looking into alternative forms of therapy.  

So the sharp pains that only last a few seconds are because of the migraines?

Thanks for your help.

With your previous history of migraine, migraine may still be a strong differential.

Are the attacks worst now that you are not taking any medications?

Persons with migraine who take analgesics or ergotamine every day may experience rebound headaches when they withdraw from the drug. Discuss this with your physician as prophylactic migraine therapy may help.

A consult with your physician is still necessary as this is only verbal communication and can not be a substitute for the actual physician consult.Underlying serious causes ( stroke ,aneurysm) are still to be looked into especially if there is progression in the headache's character.I hope this helps.

Keep in touch.