Migraines & Headaches Community
Sneeze = Headache
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Sneeze = Headache

About two years ago whilst sitting at the traffic lights in my car, I sneezed. No problem however within a minute, a slight pain moved from the right hand side of my neck around to my right temple and then a seve headache set in. I am now 51 years of age and apart from the odd hangover, never really suffered from headaches. Since that day in the car two years ago, I frequently have headaches. Certainly each time I sneeze or cough, a headache immediately sets in. I visited a Chiropractor each month for 8 months and this did provide small, temporary relief however this didn't fix the problem. I then visited my GP who said it was probably some degradation of nerves/tissues at the top of my spine and that operating was an option however the risks would be much greater than any benefits I may enjoy.
The upshot is that I now have headaches most days which I sometimes treat with pain killers but I try not to over do them. My GP says it is something I just "have to live with". I would be interested in any comments / feedback / hints etc from forum members. Thank you.
Related Discussions
5 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
449909_tn?1233413497
This looks like a 'cervicogenic headache' to me, probably due to some mild 'whiplash' injury at the sneeze. Now each time you sneeze, the same area/ 'local-nerve-system' (so to say) is getting stimulated and you get the headache.

The medical expert you have to see is a neurologist, neurosurgeon or cervical spine surgeon or orthopedic surgeon, whoever is interested in cervicogenic headache.

Until then try to giving  some rest to the neck (?!), and hold your head with both your hands while coughing or sneezing so that it doesn't 'shake-up' your neck.

Hope this helps!

Best rgds,
Thomas Antony
Blank
Hi,

Thanks for writing in.
Headache triggered by coughing, sneezing, running, lifting is known as Benign Exertional headache.
Other possible cause can be sinusitis.
Usually OTC pain killers help in relieving benign exertional headaches.
Thanks.

Blank
620923_tn?1416285879
Headaches triggered by coughing, sneezing, straining....can also be caused from chiari malformation....ask ur dr for a MRI of ur cervical spine....it would show up and thena brain MRI w/wo contrast would be done.

Headaches can be from many different root causes as the dr mentions above.....if meds do not relieve ur pain....see a NL or NS for the MRI's.

Godspeed
"selma"
Blank
I now get violent headaches from sneezing or coughing or bending downwards.Never had the problem before.
Blank
Hi,
How are you? Were you able to have this checked by your doctor or  neurologist? As mentioned above, this could be from exertion headaches. This may be experienced during or following physical exertion like running, jumping, or sexual intercourse and also with passive exertion such as sneezing, coughing, or moving the bowels.  Majority are related to migraine or cluster headaches while around 10% can be due to organic diseases. This includes aneurysms, tumors, or blood vessel malformation. If it persists, have this checked by your doctor for proper evaluation. Take care and regards.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Migraines & Headaches Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank