Migraines & Headaches Community
Vein abnormality?

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Vein abnormality?

I was diagnosed with pelvic congestion syndrome (varicose veins in my pelvic region) about 2 1/2 years ago.  I've been experiencing daily debiliating headaches for about the past year.  I've been to two different neurologists, two pain clinics and seen my primary doctor about 15 times.  On my last visit with the pain specialist, he asked why no one had pursued the issue of my varicose veins.  He said that there are collegen defects that effect the veins and I could have these type of veins in my head causing the headaches.  Do you think this could be the case?

I've tried so many different treatments for these headaches.  I've been on amitriptyline, depacote, cymbalta, naproxen, magnesium, and the herbal supplement butterbur.  I've also been to PT two different times, chiropractor, and massage therapy.  Pain medication like percocet only helps in the short term and I often end up with rebound headaches when I take it.  I have had a MRI of my neck, an MRA and CT angiography all have been normal.  

Any ideas??  I asked my primary doctor about the vein issue and she said the MR Venogram is too invasive and wouldn't be worth pursuing.  

Thanks!

How are you?
Varicose veins are dilated twisted veins and occur very rarely in the head and neck region.
It is very difficult to tell if your symptoms of headache are related to varicose veins without examination. Some association of varicose veins and migraine has been worked out.
I would suggest you to try alternate therapy like acupressure, yoga and meditation and breathing exercises.
Take care!
I've tried accupuncture in the past with no results.  I also went through 5 months of therapy for my headaches with no results.  My pain specialist just did botox injections yesterday to see if that would help.  I've very stiff and sore from them.    

Botox injections are given for chronic pain. Temporary side effects include pain in the muscles in which the injection is given, body aches, dry mouth and soreness. With time these side effects will go away. Please make sure you go for a followup visit to your physician’s office.
Hope this helps!