Migraines & Headaches Community
Verapamil success?? Thoughts?

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Verapamil success?? Thoughts?

Hello All, I have been prescribed Verapamil for migraines, I have only been on it a couple of wks and I just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts about this medication, wondering if its worked for anyone as far as the migraine aspect. I have been told that it may take up to 4-6 wks before I notice a difference and of course I did not expect results over night. I am also taking Zoloft and have been told that these two medications should be fine together. It's odd b/c I know that Verapamil is mainly used for chest pains and cardiovascular problems, and today after I took my medications, my chest started to hurt and I felt a little short of breath, If you have ever read my posts in the past you are probably well aware of the fact that I am a major hypochondriac but as always, I feel its better to be safe than sorry.. Any comments/thoughts/suggestions would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!!!

Thanks for writing in.
Verapamil normally when used for migraine prophylaxis does not cause chest pain and shortness of breath. However it can cause fatigue which can lead to shortness of breath.
Verapamil can affect the normal rhythm of the heart and should be used cautiously by patients with heart conditions.
I would suggest you to wait and watch, if your symptoms do not abate and get worse it will be a good idea to get a cardiovascular exam done.
Hope this helps!
I was actually rushed to the hospital b/c my chest pains and shortness of breath got so intense, my headache specialist said that it may be a "reflux" from the medication...? and has told me to abruptly stop taking the medication instead of weaning myself off.... Now my head is in a MASSIVE amount of pain.... I can barley focus.... Do you think this has to do with the discontinuation of the Verapamil? Should I go to half a pill and try to wean myself off rather than just not taking it abruptly?

I am really sorry to hear that. I would suggest you to consult your specialist before starting verapamil again. It seems you suffered some kind of allergic reaction to Verapamil which resulting in excessive chest pain and shortness of breath.In these cases the medication is topped abruptly.
Please do not start the medication on your own. There are other options available please check with your doctor at your earliest.
Take care!
I just got off of verapamil after being on it for 5 months. The dose was increased over that time. I changed Dr's in the middle of this because the 1st Dr also had me on Elavil, which was a complete disaster for me! Turns out the verapamil was also bad. while it worked for a few months only reducing the severity of the migraine, it caused a very strange side affect of what i could only describe as a headache in my upper neck. My new Dr said this symptom was not related to the verapamil. Regardless, i stopped the drug and in about 10 days the neck pain started to subside. I am now trying topamax.  FYI IMATREX is now generic! picked some up yesterday.

dw
I have been using Verapamil for several months. My Dr has increased my dose up to 240 mg 2X a day. The drug has eliminated my migraines for now. I am happy with the medication.
I wanted to update my earlier post regarding Verapamil. I did start having migraines again after 3 weeks. I am now trying a new medication that is typically used for depression, in small doses it is supposed to help with migraine. It is called Nortriptyline. Since I  just started taking it I do not have anything to report. I will post later when I know more. Hope you are doing well.
I am about to start Verapamil tomorrow. I hope it does something for my headaches because they are horrible. I'm sick of taking percoset 8 times a day. I"m only 20 years old! Anyway..I just wanted to say good luck with the topamax. I just got off of it because it was horrible for me. I felt even worse then I had before the meds. Then I started getting suicidal. Not very fun. Everyone is different though so I hope this works for you and the verapamil works for me ;) Let me know how the topamax works out. I'll be curious to know if it works or not. Wishing you all the best!
I just started Verapamil approximately a week ago becaused of increased usage of Midrin and Vicodin for my Migraines.
The Migraines have increased due to a car accident in which I was rear ended and my head hit the head rest.
Does the Verapamil really work to eliminate headaches or is it just to settle the headaches down?

Verapamil has done nothing to relieve migraines for me despite being combined with Topamax. Different meds work for different people though. The only thing I have found to help is largactil via IV for 48 hours - cuts through the migraine cycle and lasts for quite a period of time. I also take homeopathics - thuja and ignata amara 5 x once a day and a fusion menopause free herbal tablet everyday.
I have been on verapamil for several months now. I started with 180 and was moved to 240. After no relief from Topamax and several other medications I was switched to Verapamil. Being on the 240 has worked wonders. I went from 1-4 migraines a week to MAYBE one a month now. Everyone has different triggers and tolerance as well. The medication also takes several weeks before you start seeing results. Good luck to you!
I was just prescribed Verapamil, 120mg twice a day.  I've taken it now 3 days.  Still have been waking up with migraines, just not as bad.  My Maxalt works quicker.  Not sure how this med will work.  I sure wish I can find out some more info on this working.  

My Dr has given up and said if it doesn't, I've got to move onto this special hospital in Houston for Migraines...lots of $$.  We just tried an anti-seizure med...no help.  Pain meds...think they brought them on more.  Xanax, lol.  Inderal, beta blocker.  And another one I can't remember.  I tend to wake up in am w/migraines or I get them from scents or major stress/tension.

I will be looking more into this site.  Glad I found it.  I need advice and people who understand mirgraines!  It's horrible and I have young children.
I've been on Verapamil for about 2 months now, and I, too, have experienced something that might be called a headache in the neck, except mine extends to my shoulders and upper back as well. Was yours kind of like a stiffness and pain that seemed to have no cause? Because that's what mine is. I never thought to associate it with the Verapamil, though...
I have had migraines for 40 years, since age 7. mine are a cluster migraine variant type of headache so I get sort of a double dose of pain.

I was on verapamil 360mg for a while, did nothing for the migraines but using it with 5mg of lysinopril it was a good blood pressure medicine for me before I changed to micardis. I dont think it is a very good migraine preventive though I read about what it is supposed to do, )expand blood vessels or make them more elestic? something like that)... and I know it is highly prescribed by Dr's but I have no faith in it atfter trying it for several months and I tried it at max dose.

I use zoloft as it lessens the frequency of the headaches I get 2-3 times per week. I have literally tried every preventive medication out there over the years and always go back to my neurologist every few months and try anything new in the way of preventives but nothing works for me. I use an abortive only. from 2000 to 2008 I used fioricet with codiene and it worked great unitl I became tolerant, now I use 8mg Dilaudid when I need it. I am blessed in that I have never become addicted to any of the narcotics I have used in all the years I have used them, and each year I stop taking narcotics for two weeks and endure the hell of pain just to make sure I have no cravings. (kind of crazy huh?)
Regarding A.M. migraines, you may want to review information from the National Headache Foundation.  The web address is headache.org  Search by the following title: Early Morning Awakening Headache
I have been on Verapamil for almost 4 weeks. I have only had 2  major migraines that lasted for 2 days each, which is an amprovement. However, I have the most annoying dry mouth with a feeling like I need to constantly clear my throat!  Have any of you experienced this and if so, did it pass? It's driving me nuts!
I am 48 and I have also experienced migraine head-aches for the the past twenty years.  I have gone for months and even years without a migraine.However,It seems like the older I  get the more frequent the episodes.I  would like to seek professinal help but where do you start. .Do you start with a Neurolgist or a E.N.T .The migraines take about 1 to 2 days a week away from my life. During my episodes I can not tolerate light or noise and of course nausea.I have ran the gamut of anti-depress.meds. over the years which seem to increase the frequency of my migraines.I have experienced little floaters of light recently which usually leads to a migraine.I was perscribed verapamil and sumatriptan by a ER physician in 2009 . I do not take any prescription medications at this time for migraines .
I was put on verapamil for arrhythmias. I just wanted to warn all about the affect it can have on intestinal motility. That is to say it cuts it way down, and the word constipation doesn't begin to describe it. It is as though no amount of straining can move stool, and the result can be a lot of pain.  apparently only some 30% of people experience this, but it it so known, and so profound, that medical folk are considering using the drug for IBS-D sufferers.   Just take care. All drugs have their side effects, and the more aware you can be, the better.
Hi im irving I just started taking verapamil about a week ago and I feel tired and warm im taking 180mg twice a day does any body felt like this while taking this medication?
Hi, I started taking Verapamil about 6 weeks ago. My doctor started me on the lowest dosage for constant headaches/migraines. They just raised my dosage, but I feel that since I've started taking it my headaches have gained power. Before Verapamil, my headaches would last 4-5 days, but I was functional. Now, they hit me like a bus and hit me with the force of a migraine right away. I have also felt fatigue and short of breath, which I thought was from the extreme fatigue. I tried Topamax a few years ago, but after raising the dosage several times the headaches still came back. Topamax side effects were the worst I've experienced. Thank you everyone for all the great information here!
I have been on Verapamil 120 m.g. at night for about 9 years with great success for Hemiplegic/complicated migraines.
I have gone off of it several times because I had no symptoms and at the advise of my neurologist. Recently I had begun to get more and more "painful" migraines with aura. My GP put me back on it and the following month I had no pain! Shortly thereafter, I had a horrible headache in the back of my head near my neck accompanied by neck stiffness. This happened twice in one week with continued stiffness in the neck. That same week I suffered a SAH (sub arachnoid hemmoraghe) a form of a deadly stroke. Thankfully I survived with some residual effects such as continued painful migraines. My neuro just today prescribed 25 m.g of Topamax and I will begin taking it soon.
I just want my quality of life to improve and not have all these strange sensations in my head that are most likely the result of the stroke.
I do get the dry mouth but the Verapamil helps me to feel sleepy as soon as I take it at night. I have had no real side effects with it.
I really like it and if the Topamax doesn't pan out I'll just stick with my tried and true Verapamil.
I have been using verapamil now for 9 months and it works great! I also frova to take for when the headaches start to flair up. I can honestly say this medication has done wonders for me, I can go out in the sun with out all the pain.
i was on Topomax (topamax) for 2 months (for migraine prevention) and it had the worst side effects I've ever experienced. Depression was bad, weigt loss was bad, brain fog was bad. I wouldn't recommend Topomax (topamax) to anyone, ever.
The same thing happened to me, i stopped taking Verapamil because i started to get strange neck pains, base of head to my neck and shoulders. I stopped taking them or awhile and it went away, then i recently started to take them and it came back. Stop the Verapaml everynone, it is no good.
doesnt work i think you should move on to a new drug. do not try any of the triptans. if you do make sure you are careful about what you eat. i gained 65 pounds on amitripyline. i am on topamax and verapimil now. they both dont work. a lot of people like topamax. have you tried that one? have you tried atacaid or botox? neither worked for me but im a tough case.
I am sorry to hear about all the discomfort that you are going through and the medications that you keep trying.  Do you feel like the cause to your migraines are being fixed and addressed?  Or do you feel like you are just masking the problems with the medications?  I used to take these same medications for my migraines.  I can report that I have not had a migraine in over 4 years and I don't take any medications.  I have more energy, do not miss work and can play with my kids.  I started seeing a Maximized Living doctor who found the cause to my migraines and began a process to fix the problem.  About my 6th visit they totally disappeared, but noticed a difference after my second appointment.  I would suggest that you look into seeing a maximized living doctor, if you want more information you can go to www.maximizedliving.com and you can also find a doctor there as well.  I hope you all have the same amazing experience that I did.  It has changed my life, and I didn't think I would ever get better.  
The " headache in the upper neck" I have it, it comes on w the migraine and runs down into the trapezoid muscle and along the shoulder blade. Neuro says muscoskelatal problems are as prevalent w migraine as nausea. I take zanaflex for it, after being non responsive to non sedating muscle relaxers. Hope you get some relief, for me the neck & shoulder hurt as much as the head, sometimes. Good luck!
I also ended up having migraines again after 3 weeks on the medication. Luckily, I see my doc within the next week or so. Initially I was so happy with the medication. My mood also improved because I was not constantly in pain. I felt hope for the first time in a long time. Now I'm in pain again, and not so hopeful anymore. I wish you well and hope you get better soon. God bless!
I was on Topamax for one week. on the 8th day I was to up my dose from 25mg to 50mg and each week up to 100mg.  I took the medication at night.  The next morning within an hour of being awake moving around eating, my vision began to change.  I thought that I was getting a migraine.  Once I realized that I wasn't, I got online and searched Topamax vision changes.  Sure enough, this is a side effect.  My vision got so bad I could barely see. my eyes began to swell.  After a trip to the ER, my eye pressure was at 30.  They say Normal is between 10 and 20 and a 3 point difference can make a huge difference in your vision.  I was put on eye drops to decrease the swelling in my eyes.  For 4 days, I was unable to see much more than shapes and colors.  They say this is rare.  However, this was a horrible experience for me and my family.  
I suffer from cluster migraine and chronic vertigo. i have been on verapamil and topamax for over a month now and to be honest its doing nothing for me. I now suffer from constant pins and needles in my fingers and feet. As i have been referred to yet another neurologist my doctor is refusing to change my medication until i have had my appointment with them. So suffer until then i suppose.
While you are waiting start doing this pranayam and feel some relief.
Keep you eyes closed and concentrate. Drink hot water, and avoid cold drinks. When you can do more than 15 minutes of anulom vilom, let me know.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.

Anulom Vilom pranayam –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 20 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close little flap of ears with thumb,place  index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Repeat this  5 to 21 times.
May 10 ,2012
I have been on verapamil tablets for 2 months now. I wake up with migraine
headaches every day. I had to stop the verapamil tablets as I was having the
upper neck, base of the spine pain as well. Very bad as bad in its own way as the migraines. I have good results with sumatriptan tablets but they are
very expensive and I need at least one per day. I have tried lots of supposed
anti migraine tablets and so far either none have worked or they have terrible
side effects. I do not know what to do just living in hope of some cure one day
I have been suffering from migraines for over two years now.  I also suffer from Meneires disease, which the doctor's believe coincide with one another.  I started Botox about a year ago and have treatments every 3-4 months.  It really does help!  I do also use Fiorcet as needed when I feel a mild/moderate one coming on.  However, after a recent bout of major stress, which brought on a nasty strand of non-stop migraines, I have just been put on Verapamil for preventative measures.  We will see how it goes.
Hello! I just laughed out loud because I went through the same issue, I am also 20 years old. I was on Topamax for four years with great success then it all went south. I became suicidal, endlessly tired, and paranoid to the point I would rather the migraines. Then my Dr. suggested I switch to Verapamil and after the first transition weeks my migraines greatly dissipated. I hope Verapamil works for you. I still get a headache during high stress times such as school finals week, however, the combination of eating healthy foods and de-stressing with yoga or exercises has done wonders! I am a new woman.
Is this the Houston Headache Clinic with Dr. Ninan Mathew that you mentioned?  Just wondering.  I went there for some time.  I know this post was old, so I'm not sure if you yiu've posted since.

If you wake up with headaches, have you tried drinking a full tall glass of water before getting out of bed?  Soaking your feet in hot water for ten minutes every day may help, too.  That was recommended by an acupuncturist, and that seems to help me some.  I've also started an elimination diet to see what food triggers may be contributing.  I think I may be allergic to gluten.  Diet is huge and worth looking into.  Good luck!
aS WELL AS ME! i went from 154lbs to 116lbs I was depressed and foggy and cranky and my headaches seemd worse than when I started it? I ended up having a seizure on it and breaking my arm. I did not have a good effect with it either but everyone is different?
I have had migraines for years and over the years I have been prescribed  several different drugs.  I took Nortriptyline, Amitriptyline, and Propranolol. The first two are anti depressants.  They worked well, especially the Nortriptyline because it also helped with my insomnia.  The drawback is that one of the side effects is gaining weight.  Propranolol is a beta blocker.In my opinion , after awhile many drugs lose their effectiveness if you have been using them for a long period of time.  My migraines have gotten worse the last couple of months so I will be starting Verapamil tomorrow.  Wish me luck!
Triptans like Imitrex, Zomig, Frova, etc. CAUSE neck pain.  Are you sure it's the verapamil and not the triptan causing the neck pain?
I am getting ready to begin Verapamil for chronic migraines of almost 3 years. Nothing has worked for  prophylaxis.
Has the verapamil helped you?
I've been suffering migraines for about 28 years, but they've changed over the years and I only got diagnosed about 4years ago.  It seems the older I get the worse they become, I'm 47.  Neuro has prescribed Inderal (which worked for about 6 mths), Topiramate, Endep.  Nothing works.  Now I'm on Verapamil 240gm, 2tabs in the morning.  Still having migraines but not as intense.  But my feet and ankles have swollen up really badly.  Is this fluid retention?  Has anyone else experienced this on Verapamil?  If so, can it be relieved?
My 14year old daughter was just put on Verapamil 120mg once a day for headaches. She doesnt see a change and doesnt like taking medicine if she cant see it working. My daughter believes it just turns you into a pill popper.

Anyways she has had a constant headache for 2months straight with no relief. Doctor said he doesnt know what else to do but to send her to a neurologist for a spinal tap. The MRI came back normal.

Has anybody else suffered this way? If so what helped you? She has been on prescription pain killers, steriods, antibiotics (3 different kinds), trips to the ER and still no relief.
Hi. The feet and ankle swelling is definitely a side effect of the verapamil. I have only been on it for a few days and am watching my ankles with great trepidation. So far the migraines seem better, but it is too early to tell. I am on 180mg each night. Am having magnificent sleeps!
i have been on verapamil sr 180 r for 7years now it is miracal drug for me i have cluster migrains thought i was going to die  if they did not stop... doctor told me to try varapamil no more migrains... except they come back about every 2 to 2 1/2 years for a week or 2.... this drug has helped me to have a life again... if the doctor gives it to u you need to try !!!! hope everybody stops haveing migrains.. cause everybody that has migrains no it is the worst thing in the world  hope that god blesses u all
the constipation can be easily remedied if you take magnesium supplements.  take 800-2000mg daily, which is helpful with headaches and sleep.  too much mag will result in diarrhea, so they'll kinda settle each other out!  
I go to Dr. Sadeghi in Houston.  He has been great!
I have been diagnosed with Hemaplegic Migraines that are a rare form of complec migraines.  My neurologist has just started me on Verapamil and I start my first dose today.  I wanted to thank you all for both the good and bad comments that you posted on here.  I am hoping, praying and even begging that I will also be helped like some of you were with the use of verapamil.  
I am on verapamil for svt and take Miralax every day because of some surgery I had 2 years ago. So it takes care of the constipation. And eat lots of veggies and fruits.
I have the same thing.  I noticed your post is older-Did you ever find any relief?  I have stiff/hurting neck and one shoulder constantly and just thought it was sitting at a desk?
How did it work out for you?
I have been in the same situation was you with migraines, and have tried many different preventative medications with horrible side effects.  One thing I came upon, that has really assisted with decreasing my migraines is EMDR therapy.  I have a lot of trauma in my background growing up, and come to find out some of my migraines are results of triggers of past trauma that I have dissociated or separated from.  Just a thought and another resource.
Very interesting point and very well vaild.  I too had HORRIBLE trauma as a child. Health issues such as Insomnia (first problem and obviously a big one), IBS (stomach) Anxiety, PTSD etc.  And a little over 3 years ago I've had migraines with pain that are off the chart!  I try desperately to figure out why I have them; logging diet, situations weather, etc.  I cannot take pain meds but have taken topomax (topamax) (had hallucinations!) Verapamil, all kinds of meds but they work temporarily then stop working.  I've had three this month and I'm thinking it could be caused by dehydration?  I stopped drinking water when weather got cold.  I heard a lady say once that she ALWAYS drinks water because she had migraines in the past and she doesn't now because SHE ALWAYS has water with her and drinks it.  If anyone wants to start drinking water with me to see if it's as simple as dehydration let me know and we'll do an experient!  Good luck - I no longer work due to these migraines...