Migraines & Headaches Community
Vision problems post migraine headache

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

Vision problems post migraine headache

I had a migraine headache 4 weeks ago, with the usual vision problems, squiggly lines, loss of peripheral vision, etc. but my eyes have not normalized since the headache. The pain of the headache did persist for 3 weeks after, using migraine meds, tylenol etc, until I was admitted to hospital with a dx of Static Migraine and was treated with IV DHE for 48hrs. I don't have the headache pain, but I still have the tightness in my temples, problems getting a deep breath and the vision problems have stayed with me since the initial onset of the migriane headache, 4 weeks ago. My eyes are like I am looking through a snowy TV screen, and whatever I look at, bright lights being the worse, are "burned" on my retina and it stays there no matter what I look at. I have seen 3 neurologist who say, just rest and things will normalize, but it hasn't. I did have a negative CT scan and MRI of the brain. I just know that things are not getting better and I am still concerned. I am in school and I have had to defer this semester because I am unable to read properly and I still feel unwell. The left side of my neck feels painful to touch and my left arm and side, along my breast, pains at times and my arm does go numb. I was wondering if there could be a pinched nerve or something, but nobody wants to take me seriously. I just know there is something that is still going on and my vision will not come back until this problem is corrected, because I continue to have these symptoms and my eyes are not getting better, no matter how much I rest. Can you please offer some suggestions? Thank you.

Thanks for writing in.
Persisting visual snow can be a complication of migraine also known as persistent migraine aura or persistent aura without infarction.
Other causes that also need to be excluded are optic neuritis or inflammation of optic nerve, and lyme disease.
There is currently no established treatment for migraine aura; however Clonazepam has shown good results in many patients. Topamax and Lamictal have also been found useful. I would suggest you to discuss all this with your treating doctor and also undergo an eye exam if possible. Do keep us posted!
DrNoopurMD,
thanks for your reply, its much appreciated! I was examined by an ophthalmalogist, and he gave me a clean bill of health, no optic neuritis or anything else. So, I do have to see another neurologist in a couple of days, so I will definitely mention those meds to him. I find that I have muscle weakness now, in my face and I find it harder to breathe at times, but this may be because I have been so immobile since all of this has been going on. I have been researching dx myself, so now I am afraid of mystenia gravis or the like, since it has been goingon for such a long time. What would be your thoughts. What tests should I do to rule this out, or lyme disease. Bloodwork-Autoantibody levels? Thank you again for your time and input!
Dr NoopurMD,
I forgot to ask, do you think it could be an autoimmune disease? I have read a similar post to mine and autoimmune disease was mentioned as a possibility. What tests should I ask my neurologist to perform when I see him in a couple of days? Thanks again!

At the moment the possibility of autoimmune disease does not seem to be very likely. However nothing can be said for sure without a clinical exam because your symptoms of muscle weakness could well be because of anxiety, depression and inactivity like you rightly mentioned.
For lymes disease blood test known as ELISA is usually done followed by western blot. Western blot test is a more accurate test since ELISA can be positive in many other bacterial infections.
It is important to undergo further evaluation. Please do so and keep us posted!