Migraines & Headaches Community
disability

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

disability

Hi all,
I am a longtime sufferer of severe migraines.  Have had them off and on since age 14 am now 42.  The past 8 years have been a living hell with the past 3 worse than a living hell.
I have daily headaches, am lucky to have 1 day a week where I don't have some sort of pain.  I can no longer work outside my home and absolutely hate it.  I am to the point where I have no patience and am angry a lot of the time.
I applied for disability almost 2 years ago and I had to go thru being turned down twice and now I have a hearing to see if I can be approved.  Does anyone on here get disability for these nasty life destroying creatures? If so, any advice on how to convince a judge that they are real and disabling?
It used to be that my migraines could be measured on a normal pain scale of 1-10, but in the last 3 years what used to be a 6 is now a 3 if that makes sense? My tolerance for pain has gone up due to necessity.  I have tried so many treatments, drugs, pain meds, abortives, preventatives, chiro, massage therapy, physical therapy, accupuncture and so on to no avail.  Meds help for a bit then after a few months they no longer work.  Pain meds and ER visits help a couple times a year.
I am so sick of living with migraines and to make it worse I started having seizures this summer.  Then in Oct I had 2 "seizures" in the same day and ended up in the ER for 8 hours unable to speak and was diagnosed as having had a TIA, but the EEG and the MRI showed no abnormalities.  Well, I have had 3 more of these seizures since being in the ER but only 1 of them took my voice again.
Sorry this is so long, I am just desperate for help and getting disability will be a lifesaver in the regards that I can not afford to go to specialists and the ER.  Not to mention the being unable to work and what that has done to my self esteem and my family!
Sorry again that this is so long.
Hope to hear from folks!
I too have been having severe headaches every day. It is not easy getting up at all. I too have been told that I may have had some TIA'S but that they increased white fosci could have been caused by having severe migraines. That just floors me, even if it is just a migraine, shouldn't something be done to prevent me from have these things disrupt the blood flow to my brain? I just had my hearing like 4 weeks ago. The judge seemed to understand what I  was dealing with. I also have other complicated medical issues going on so I am not sure if they will just rule on migraine alone. I will get you more info later. I am tired but just wanted to respond to your post. have a great night.
We have much in common.   I've had a continuious headache for over 3 years and have been unable to work.   I, too, applied for disability and was denied, and finally I got a lawyer because my work credits are going to expire if I keep waiting.   I don't know what else to do.    The forms the lawyer gave me, and he told me I needed a letter of a support from the doctor treating me.   You  wouldn't believe how much resistance I've met from the doctors on this.    I feel like they're against me, and could care less about my disability claim, which is bewildering.    I have an appointment with a new specialist next week, I hope this time it works out and I can get a letter.
It is hard to get SSDI if you are under 50 unless you have a terminal disease but you can do it with hard perserverence. What you need to do is go to a psychiatrist and have him/her document your depression/anxiety and start getting treatment for it. Depression can be seen as a disabling disorder also. This is how I was able to get on disability, but I was also over age 50 when I applied..so it only took 2 years!  A lawyer can be a help but they will take a percentage of your award.
I