Migraines & Headaches Community
flashing lights and vision loss

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

flashing lights and vision loss

I have been having an increase in the following symptoms: left eye with prismed zig zag which progresses in size until vision is lost- returns on its own within 30 minutes, flashing lights in the lower part of my eyes, very small frontal headache and the right side, posteriorly of my head is very tender to touch. No hx of trauma. This has happened twice in one week and is concerning to me now.
I have the same thing as well and have had it for several years. It is called Ocular Migrane (migraine). Check it out on the internet.
Migraine involving the eyes, with or without headache. Ocular migraines usually affect only one eye at a time. Image distortion generally begins in the center of the image and then moves to one side. Images "grey out" or look wavy, and sight may be temporarily lost.

Some physicians refer to ocular migraine as retinal migraine, where there are repeated attacks of one-sided blind spots or blindness lasting less than an hour and associated with a headache.

Ocular migraines usually require no treatment, other than rest until the symptoms pass.
This sound like what I have. Migraine sans migraine, or headache without the headache. This is an inherited condition in my case, but isn't always. In my twenties I would have skull splitting migraine headaches with flashing colored lights and visions loss. I would, for example, look at someones face and only partially see it. Over the years, like my mother and her mother, I would only get the flashing lights and and vision loss. It's nothing to worry about unless it increases.  Many times this is brought on by stress or food allergies. I found that whenever I ate American cheese it would trigger one. Chocolate is another big offender. You might want to talk with your family doctor and see if he/she would find it recommendable to see a neurologist just for a baseline. But, I wouldn't worry about it. I hope I have been of some help.
hi,
yes it sounds like ocular migraine but still i suggest you see a physician.
I also have this happen to me. Would only happen once a year now it's twice this year within a two week period. As I am 46 and worried as to what is happening