seeing colors
I have a 3 1/2 year old you last winter started to mention seeing "colors" on her bedroom wall/ceiling at night.  I didn't know what to think of it.  This spring she complained about eye pain and associated seeing these colors with that.  I took her to a pediatric opthalmologist who noticed her strabismus condition and recommended surgery to correct that but he didn't associate the "colors" with the strabismus.  He did agree an MRI wasn't unreasonable so we had that done.  The results came back normal but the radiologist noted slightly enlarged ventricles (vessicles?) but said these were chronic and not a recent developement of the brain.  So far the consensus seems to point to migrains but my daughter seems to be able to conjure up these floating colors in any dark room at any time during the day.  She does not relate the intensity of the colors to head aches.  Any thoughts?

There is a possibility that this could be migraine since she has headaches as well.

Other possibility could be synesthesia in which people see colors. But there is very limited information on this condition. The part of the brain associated with color perception was found to be unusually active in these patients.

Take care!

I don't think its any cause for alarm.  Most people see floating colors after turning off the lights.  Try staring at a light for a few seconds and then closing your eyes.  You generally see colors.  Its the leftover imprint of the light and usually resolves in a matter of minutes.