Migraines & Headaches Community
vomiting relieves migraine

This forum is for questions and support regarding migraine and headache issues such as: abdominal migraines, headaches caused by allergies, cluster headaches, headaches, headaches in children, migraine headaches, sinus headaches, tension headaches, visual disturbances.

vomiting relieves migraine

I have been suffering from chronic migraine as a child but it is a lot better now that I was on treatment for a year. What I wonder is why does vomiting relieve my migraine attacks? Before the treatment I would vomit involuntarily at the peak of my attacks but now as the intensity of my headaches have lessened, I feel nauseous but dont vomit unless I force myself to. There are times when I dont vomit even after forcing it but the pressure from trying to vomit eases the pain almost instantly. I am very curious about why this happens.

Any with the same experience?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi, migraines are really typical in their manifestations . For some people the headache gets worse with nausea and vomitings and for others it relieves the pain. There’s no scientific reason for relief of pain after vomiting . The simple reason could be that for some people food is a triggering factor of migraine. Once the food is thrown up, the pain is automatically relieved.Or it just could be shifting your attention from the pain while trying to vomit. It releases the intracranial pressure.Relieving factors differ from individual to individual.Hope this helps you. Take care!
thanks for the info.I do know for some vomitting makes it worse. But for me I think the explanation of the release of intracranial pressure is most appropriate since many a times i try throwing up,as in force the pressure, but dont completely vomit, but the pain subsides nevertheless.

I've had the same problems since I was 10 - I'm 19 now. Loss on vision in one eye, sensitivity to sound and light, and excrutiatingly painful migraines which are relieved by vomiting. You say you're on treatment, what kind? Because I'm honestly tired of this happening to me...
Same!!! Migraine is my nightmare! Before a migraine headache, I see this aura, like a warning sensation or like visual disturbance (spiral-like). And then, yeah, I feel so fuzzy and nauseous. And then like after 5 minutes, my head starts to ache SO BAD!!! Usually in only one part of my head. Afterward, VOMIT, like many times!!! Until I feel relieved. It actually started when I was 13. Even my grandpa, uncle, and my cousin has it. IT IS AWFULLY UNBEARABLE!!! Some says, there's no medicine for it. You'll just wait until you vomit and feel relieved.
I am also a victim of migraine. Well it started when i was 10, and our signs and symptoms are very similar. I have made a diary just to find out what triggers the migraine and over the years i have found out that everytime i get stressed and play a sport, and sort of physical activity, i end up with a migraine.

It actually begins with an aura, and its very disturbing as u see black spots all over. I become very sensitive to light,sound and very irritable. I need a dark place just to close my eyes and rest,

Then starts the excruciating headache. Its usually one sided and a very painful throbbing headache. I force my self on some bananas and milk and forecefully vomit.

There is instant relief in vomiting. But i would love another cure to this painful experience. Any remedies you have come up with?
Habzy,  This is exactly what my son is going through.  Your symptoms and progression of the migraine is spot on.  Have you seen a DR and if so, what was their findings and were they able to help you?

Bob

Bob
NOTHING works for me! panadol makes me feel even more nauseous. It comes in within 5-10 mins and usually behind my right eye is a splitting pain.. then my stomach starts to feel bloted and i feel like i have to vomit for about 30mins to an hour before i can actually do it. most of the time i have to force myself and when i feel the bloatedness start to lessen my migraine disappears in about 15mins or sometimes its instant! its the most horrible thing i would rather have a cold! been happening to me since i was 14 I'm now 22 and it happened about once every 3 months. very spontaneously, can't pin point why it happens or when it will happen. most of the time its when I'm over tired. i also get hot rushes before i vomit.  
i actually have one right now