Mood Disorders Expert Forum
Medication combination.

Welcome to the Mood Disorders Forum. Questions in this forum are being answered by Peter Forster, MD and topics covered are anxiety, bipolar, depression, panic disorder, post traumatic stress disorder and stress.

Medication combination.

I am currently taking Haldol 0.5 mg twice a day, Trazodone 50 mg and Doxepin 50 mg for my anxiety and depression symptoms, can you please tell me if these are all okay to take together and am I suppose to take these with food or milk? Is Haldol a dangerous drug combined with the other two medications?  I also have a symptom of 'clearing' my throat constantly am not sure if it is due to allergies, or could I be starting of 'tics' as that is what my psychiatrist tells me as she had noticed this symptom when I saw her last for a followup visit.  She called it 'tics' and said that Haldol would help with that.  I just would like your professional opinion on these questions.

Thank-you.
I was wondering if the throat clearing could be due to reflux or LPRD.

Have you tried clarifying these questions with your psychiatrist?
When I went to see my psychiatrist, she was the one that said that this was a 'tic'.  I do have medicine for reflux that I take at bedtime, but I have this problem all through the day.  I really don't think it is due to reflux.  About 3 years I had a bad case of bronchitis which my prim dr sent me to an 'allergist' at that time said I have 'asthma' which I had taken meds for that, but in the last year stopped taken it because I really do not think that I have asthma as once I have stopped it, I do not get attacks of asthma breathing, etc.  It almost feels like a lump in my throat and at times do have phelm...so unsure.
Could be a sign your asthma is back, but i don't know. Why would a tic make you have phelm? It sounds like allergies to me. But i'm not a doctor so just my opinion.
You may not have experienced asthmatic symptoms due to the timing.  Your asthma may be triggered by a specific allergen (what you are allergic too).  This allergen may not be present year round.  My asthma is worse when certain grasses and pollens are around.  I manage OK during Winter except the colder weather can sometimes trigger it too.

Were you told what you may be allergic too?  This could be useful information.

I personally don't believe it is a tic but your doctor has your history, the education and experience and is treating you.  ??Nervous tic.  Maybe, I don't know.  Maybe your doctor's right?  The medication would help with the anxiety which would help with the tic.  ??

I think that the truth sometimes lies half way between what you think and what your doctor says.  If you're not happy with what your doctor says, ask again or get another opinion.
I don't know if I would call this a "tic" but it is something that I have often seen in folks who have a lot of anxiety. One of the symptoms of anxiety can be a sense of needing to clear your throat (anxiety and sympathetic nervous system activation lead to the production of thicker mucous which may be part of the reason for this). And this can become a "habit".
Can you please tell me about these drugs that I am on:

Haldol 0.5 mg twice a day, Trazodone 50 mg and Doxepin 50 mg for my anxiety and depression symptoms, can you please tell me if these are all okay to take together and am I suppose to take these with food or milk? Is Haldol a dangerous drug combined with the other two medications?

I appreciate your advice.
YES!  The clearing of my throat is a habit for me as I keep doing this on a daily basis and I do this ~~constantly during the day~~ all the way up until I go to bed, even then, I do it in bed as I am trying to sleep it is very annoying and upsetting to ME and my partner.  Will Haldol help with this and do you consider this drug to be dangerous for me to take on a daily basis?